This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The State of the Club Address
elantragt
post Feb 14 2014, 08:59 AM
Post #1 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.02
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

As I sit here typing this, I'm thinking about two things... the state of ElantraClub and the 29 inches of snow I've been trying to dig out of. The snow situation definitely sucks but what about the club/community?

Right now, let's face it, our community is not quite right. Where in the past, there were tons of new topics and activity, we mostly now get topics from new members looking for advice and most replies come from the mod team only. The back and forth banter between members just doesn't exist. And for a medum (a forum) that relies on discussion, this is a big issue.

This is also the first time we've struggled so mightily to meet a donation drive total. We have a handful of fantastic members that donate over and over but the vast majority of active members have not donated. Again, that's not good.

It doesn't matter if it's social media or other factors that have changed this community's activity level. What matters is that we concentrate on getting members back to posting more often. Just like donating, we can't force anyone to do it, obviously. However, I'd like to find out why members who used to post here often now just visit and look/lurk. They definitely see less topics and posts and probably surf the site less because of that. But, in a way, those same people are creating that situation by not posting.

I often see names in the online list that were formerly big time posters, donators, club boosters etc. who simply have stopped posting. I almost wonder if some of these people are just logging in to see if EC still exists. ohmy.gif

Well guess what? EC exists and will exist for a long time. I will find a way to keep this going, you have my word. Obviously, I need people to donate but I promise EC isn't going anywhere.

The community is an important one to anyone owning an Elantra. Not just for the huge database of information we have. That does make EC important, yes, but we have more than that. We offer knowledgeable and friendly advice to all who ask for help. Of course sometimes I wish we answered things quicker. laugh.gif It's important EC stays online if only for the "second opinion effect". Meaning, yes, there are other sites online that can help people with an Elantra... but.. isn't it important to get a second opinion from a reliable resource like EC? That makes EC valuable and needed.

Right now, I believe there's nowhere but up for EC. I hope some of our former active membership will stop lurking and be active again. We need them. I'm hoping that more members chime in to answer other people's question. We don't bite. Give us a chance.

Here's hoping the fund drive is a success. That EC gets more active. And ultimately, that EC has a very good 2014.

Mitch

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 members thank elantragt for this post
Alex2013GT, bhorste, jamhandman, marck, popeye, Vinnie
elantragt
post Feb 14 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #2 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon

See this is where we need to change to get back on track. Lots of people have seen this post but no one has responded.

Ultimately, this sit on the hands approach by members is killing the community. I even have several members of our mod team that don't even reply to topics in our Admin area.

It's all unhealthy and counterproductive to EC. sad.gif

This site has been a good one since 2002. It's helped thousands of people. We didn't all of the sudden become a nothing site.

Where is the EC love?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doohickie
post Feb 14 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #3 | Print

Club Expert
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Thanks Received: 60
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 1,380
Mood: Cranky

It is what it is. If it's dying, it's dying. Things change, people move on. Facebook groups are replacing forums for the social aspect of the internet.

I'm just tired of it Mitch. This constant mother-henning on your part, trying to tell us what YOU want out of the forum. And then you call attention to it by sending out a mass PM. This is why "Lots of people have seen this post but no one has responded." Everyone else is tired of it too.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Feb 15 2014, 01:50 AM
Post #4 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Thanks Received: 558
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

QUOTE (Doohickie @ Feb 14 2014, 08:53 PM) *
It is what it is. If it's dying, it's dying. Things change, people move on. Facebook groups are replacing forums for the social aspect of the internet.

While this is true, people are here because this is a car club. A place where you can get knowledgeable information. Have you seen some of the ludicrous advice people give each other on facebook about autos? CEL.... "Ugh, need inspection how do I fix my CEL?" - Idiot replys - "Clear it and it'll pass inspection". Here you wouldn't get this improper information.

QUOTE (Doohickie @ Feb 14 2014, 08:53 PM) *
I'm just tired of it Mitch. This constant mother-henning on your part, trying to tell us what YOU want out of the forum. And then you call attention to it by sending out a mass PM. This is why "Lots of people have seen this post but no one has responded." Everyone else is tired of it too.

I can't speak for your feelings as you certainly cant speak for mine. However, I totally understand how Mitch feels. He's not trying to make a living off of EC nor is he. EC is his baby and I know he shouldn't but he does take it personal when some of us, especially the long time members get up and disappear. Some of us have built up friendships across the country by being members here. On my end - Kyle's been someone I'm glad to have met here, Steve, Jeff - all good people who aren't just "usernames".

I guess you get what you put in here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank Vinnie for this post
TrumpetTitan
elantragt
post Feb 15 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #5 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon

The bottom line here is that I know that EC is a good place with even more potential. If people aren't happy with it then they have to do what they have to do.

All I can say is I treat this like family. And just like family I want to see us succeed.

Someone like Paul (Doohickie) looks at things in a way that's different than I do. We're all different and he was welcome to speak his mind. However, I don't think it's fair to say that "everyone else is tired of it too". The fact is there may be some who admire my perseverance. There may be some who marvel that I've kept EC going in the face of extreme adversity at home. It's all your point of view.

I'm just doing the best I can and it's all in an effort to see EC continue. I'm entitled to that desire. I'm entitled to want the best for something I started those many years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank elantragt for this post
bhorste
RPW00Mirage
post Feb 15 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #6 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Thanks Received: 423
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

i just think it is the way things are. not an EC problem at all. any of the other boards i'm on? same thing. MPF is the same group of 15-20 posters mostly mods . hondaswap is mostly elite members. veloster forum is pretty much dead. the VT forum is kicking, but that is only because it is a new platform and there are metric shit tons of new parts being put out each week.

even my NER and CART forums are dead... rallycross is alive and well but most just flock to facebook for the instant gratification of click click.

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Feb 15 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #7 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon

I hear you Chris but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to keep EC moving forward. Remember a while back when it was all about MySpace? Now look I'm not saying Facebook is going away anytime soon. I just feel like niche forums still have an important place in cyberspace.

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 members thank elantragt for this post
bhorste, Vinnie
RPW00Mirage
post Feb 16 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #8 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Thanks Received: 423
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

i certainly agree with you. it is everyone else that needs convincing.

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Feb 16 2014, 07:43 PM
Post #9 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon

QUOTE (RPW00Mirage @ Feb 16 2014, 07:00 PM) *
it is everyone else that needs convincing.

100% truth.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TrumpetTitan
post Feb 18 2014, 10:39 AM
Post #10 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 19
Member No.: 17,560
Mood: Calm

QUOTE (Vinnie @ Feb 15 2014, 01:50 AM) *
While this is true, people are here because this is a car club. A place where you can get knowledgeable information. Have you seen some of the ludicrous advice people give each other on facebook about autos? CEL.... "Ugh, need inspection how do I fix my CEL?" - Idiot replys - "Clear it and it'll pass inspection". Here you wouldn't get this improper information.

Agreed. With forums like these it is much easier to categorize and locate information about cars. Since it takes a little more time to enter a post on a forum than it does to comment on Facebook, you get less meaningless responses. Also, it's darn near impossible to find something on facebook that was posted a few months ago (primarily because of auto-scrolling, I seriously dislike that feature).

I'm new to this forum but I'm glad I found it. I'm very impressed with how well-organized the forum is, the type of post data available, and the different sections, such as the garage and the wiki.

I know that I'll be here when I need to (i.e. when something goes wrong with my Elantra), so I'm going to try and contribute even before that happens as a way of paying it forward.

I would have had a much more frustrating ownership experience of my S2000 without S2KI, and I'm looking forward to the value this forum will bring to owning my Elantra.

This post has been edited by TrumpetTitan: Feb 18 2014, 10:40 AM

--------------------

2013 Elantra w/Clutch, Silver (Daily Driver)
2002 Honda S2000, Spa Yellow (Autocross/Weekend car)

"Straight lines are for fast cars. Corners are for fast drivers."

+Quote Post
11 members thank TrumpetTitan for this post
Alex2013GT, a_v, bhorste, 2000J25SP, popeye, roydjt, RPW00Mirage, slowgls, trololololo, VIG, Vinnie
jamhandman
post Feb 21 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #11 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 57
Member No.: 4,755
Mood: Accomplished

EC Rocks! After I purchased a home and changed positions at my job I haven't been here. sad.gif If it means anything my HD is still... going. smile.gif

--------------------

EC ROCKS! Show your support, ask/answer questions, start topics, post pictures, and donate!! Woots!

+Quote Post
3 members thank jamhandman for this post
Alex2013GT, bhorste, Vinnie
equus
post Feb 28 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #12 | Print

Tesla proto P90D
Group Icon
Group: Professional
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Thanks Received: 12
Member No.: 371
Mood: Thankful

Mitch, I have been busy off late, been overseas for a long long time. Its not that I don't want to be here, truth is time has not been on my side. I will log in when I am free and NOT on my company laptop as almost many sites are blocked by our IT dept. I do want this site to succeed and I am sure it will.

--------------------

I thaw a putty tat..............I did..........I did.......

+Quote Post
4 members thank equus for this post
Alex2013GT, elantragt, popeye, trololololo
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsThe stay in touch thread
58 elantragt 198,934 29th July 2023 - 02:09 AM
Last post by: natesi
No New Posts The new Elantra GT is on it's way
6 elantragt 136,524 21st June 2017 - 08:11 AM
Last post by: elantraelite
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsThe Official EC bike thread!
286 popeye 10,230 29th May 2017 - 11:33 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No new The Story of My 2000 Elantra
30 wizewun 51,215 26th January 2017 - 07:32 PM
Last post by: popeye
No New Posts Then there were three cars
...am I becoming a redneck?
5 cobas 11,359 11th September 2016 - 01:28 AM
Last post by: cobas

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 03:39 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America