This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ford Hybrids Fall Short of MPG Promises
Vinnie
post Dec 7 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #1 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

Tests Show Ford Fusion, C-Max Hybrid Are Not Getting Close To 47 MPG

Watch ads for the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid sedan or its C-Max Hybrid wagon and you'll hear that the vehicles get 47 miles per gallon (highway and city combined), which sounds awfully nice considering the cost of gasoline. But real-road tests of these cars don't seem to back those numbers up. In fact, tests by our car-loving cousins at Consumer Reports found that C-Max only got around 37 mpg (city/highway combined). While that is a very good number — second in its class to the Prius V's 41 mpg — it's only 79% of the mpg touted by Ford.

The Fusion fared slightly better, with a combined 39 mpg, around 83% of what Ford claims. On the highway, the Fusion did get as efficient as 41 mpg in the CR tests, though its city number was down at 35 mpg. The C-Max came in with more consistent numbers — 35 mpg city, 38 mpg highway.

According to CR, more than 80% of the vehicles it has tested for gas mileage are within 2 mpg of the EPA-estimated numbers given by the manufacturers. See the chart below showing the real-world fuel economy numbers for a range of vehicles.

Before the tests on the new Fusion and C-Max, the largest discrepancy between the EPA numbers and real-world tests had been 7 mpg for the Toyota Prius C and 6 mpg for the Prius hatchback.

"Most buyers won't get anything near 47 mpg in the real world," says Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports' director of auto testing. "Even though these two Ford hybrids are very efficient, this big discrepancy may leave customers disappointed."

In response to our results, a Ford representative said in an email, "Early C-Max Hybrid and Fusion Hybrid customers praise the vehicles and report a range of fuel economy figures, including some reports above 47 mpg. This reinforces the fact that driving styles, driving conditions, and other factors can cause mileage to vary."

This article explains the various ways Consumer Reports puts cars through the wringer, but in short, after breaking in each vehicle for 2,000 miles, testers run each vehicle through simulations of city driving conditions on the test track, while highway data is achieved by driving along a specific stretch of a nearby interstate.

Meanwhile, most EPA fuel-economy estimates certified by testers for the actual manufacturer. The EPA does later spot-check about 15% of cars with its own tests.

In November, the EPA spanked Hyundai pretty hard for overstating their fuel-economy estimates. The car maker will now be paying out millions of dollars in refunds.

source: http://consumerist.com/2012/12/06/tests-show-ford-fusion-c-max-hybrid-are-not-getting-close-to-47-mpg/

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Swee
post Dec 7 2012, 06:45 AM
Post #2 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 74
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 14,062
Mood: Mischievous

So what they're saying is that manufacturers lie? ((GASP)) I feel so violated. Here I thought they were all saints and out to better our made-up carbon footprint. blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Dec 7 2012, 06:47 AM
Post #3 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

I'm loving how others are finally being put out there. Hyundai and Kia were the "major screwups" now all these others are coming out of the wood work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Swee
post Dec 7 2012, 06:55 AM
Post #4 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

I never believed for a minute that my car could get the 40MPG as announced in vinyl on the side of another on the lot! Maybe in neutral with a good tail wind, downhill, being dragged by a f16!

I even put the roof racks on my car and watched it drop 5-6 mpg just for those. I 'spose that's also Hyundai's fault?

Gotta attack the competition before they get off the ground because they might be a worth rival soon enough. Is that now the motto of the big 3?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sarge
post Dec 7 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #5 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

Wow - so pick on Hyundai for having a 2% difference with their cars... but let the ones that have up to 21% go easy? Seems fair to me.
Wonder what the others will have to do to make their numbers right. Full refund? smile.gif

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Dec 7 2012, 08:25 AM
Post #6 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

QUOTE (Swee @ Dec 7 2012, 06:55 AM) *
I never believed for a minute that my car could get the 40MPG as announced in vinyl on the side of another on the lot! Maybe in neutral with a good tail wind, downhill, being dragged by a f16!

I did and do. Hell, if I can AVERAGE 38 on a test drive, I know 40 is an easy number.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
FurunoFan
post Dec 7 2012, 08:55 AM
Post #7 | Print

J.Electron-Elantra 2013 GT
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Thanks Received: 120
Member No.: 13,648
Mood: Happy

I am currently running 34 to 36 in combined driving. Hyundai steps up with the rebate cards when the EPA pointed out an issue. Other companies are not even close and not offering anything at this point. I would expect any lawyers to get laughed out of court when they try to sue Hyundai for doing the right thing while others are not. As a second time "new" Hyundai owner, I don't think I will ever have a reason to by anything else. They have come a long way since the old 1983 Hyundai Pony I owned overseas. (It was a pile that went to the scrap yard with less than 20K on it and under 5 years old) Thanks Hyundai for caring about product improvement and customers.

--------------------

A proud member of the Elantra club.
2013 Elantra GT 6-Sp M/T w/Style
2008 Nissan Versa SL

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Dec 7 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #8 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Thanks Received: 423
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

i average 32-35 but can break 40-42 if i dont drive like an asshole. it is easily possible, most of the time.

im happy with free money though, i aint even mad smile.gif

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
2 members thank RPW00Mirage for this post
Kate31, Swee
Kate31
post Dec 7 2012, 09:06 AM
Post #9 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Thanks Received: 169
Member No.: 12,773
Mood: Chipper

Hahahahahahahhahhaha - I saw an article about this yesterday! At least Hyundai's MPG claims were CLOSE! These other ones are ridiculous! So happy that others are being pointed out now. No need to only throw our brand under the bus!

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 members thank Kate31 for this post
Brad M, Swee, Vinnie
Swee
post Dec 8 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #10 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Dec 7 2012, 08:25 AM) *
I did and do. Hell, if I can AVERAGE 38 on a test drive, I know 40 is an easy number.

Oh sure, I can acheive it as well, but if I fell short of that do I cry "foul play and willfull deception" on Hyundai's part?

--------------------

+Quote Post
roydjt
post Dec 8 2012, 01:51 PM
Post #11 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

So... when will the EPA change their evaluation process? I don't blame the manufacturers. The rules were set and they designed cars to exploit those rules and maximize the number on the sticker. They need to redesign the test so it truly reflects real-life driving. Highway speeds are now 70-80mph. City drivers accelerate hard and brake hard, and they spend a lot of time at idle.

When people look at the sticker mpg ratings, they don't envision some idealized test with a down pillow on the accelerator pedal. They want to see those numbers when they're barreling down the interstate, cutting tourists off downtown, and hauling a busload of kids to practice in the burbs.

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

+Quote Post
1 members thank roydjt for this post
Swee
Swee
post Dec 8 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #12 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (roydjt @ Dec 8 2012, 01:51 PM) *
So... when will the EPA change their evaluation process? I don't blame the manufacturers. The rules were set and they designed cars to exploit those rules and maximize the number on the sticker. They need to redesign the test so it truly reflects real-life driving. Highway speeds are now 70-80mph. City drivers accelerate hard and brake hard, and they spend a lot of time at idle.

When people look at the sticker mpg ratings, they don't envision some idealized test with a down pillow on the accelerator pedal. They want to see those numbers when they're barreling down the interstate, cutting tourists off downtown, and hauling a busload of kids to practice in the burbs.

-Roy

quote.gif And the crowd goes wild! quote.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Official pics of the 2017 Elantra, video too
7 elantragt 24,452 12th October 2015 - 08:36 AM
Last post by: FadeToBlack
No New Posts Off to see the Mouse
it's all coming together now
8 bhorste 1,019 7th July 2014 - 09:02 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts off topic vector graphic request
eps file is coo
0 trololololo 1,153 18th April 2014 - 08:52 AM
Last post by: trololololo
No New Posts Mpg dropped severely
4 ohdavelo 3,983 31st October 2013 - 07:34 AM
Last post by: FurunoFan
No New Posts Officially sponsored by the local dealership!!
6 gamerguy_1986 912 15th August 2013 - 06:17 AM
Last post by: Snakoil

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:25 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America