This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paint chip, should I repair?
keystroke
post Sep 22 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 9,638

A few weeks ago there was a hit and run on my 2008 Elantra. Fortunately someone else left me a note with the plate of the car who hit me. So that person wound up having to have their insurance pay. Anyway I got my car back the day before yesterday. Yesterday I walk out and I have a flat! hah, I think I ran over a screw on the way home from the shop as my tire pressure light went on while I was driving home sad.gif Anyway - I fixed the flat. At the same time I noticed the flat I noticed a paint chip on my hood! Not sure if it was there before, and the shop didn't touch the hood at all. Their work looked great so perhaps I just noticed the chip now because I was looking at my car more thoroughly. What a pain!

Anyway is this bad enough to warrant repair? It doesn't bother me too much but I don't want it to rust...

Thanks everyone!

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Sep 22 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #2 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

The unfortunate thing with something like that is it will keep getting bigger. I personally would get it fixed before it becomes a bigger problem.

And I'm glad to hear there was someone that did the right thing and left a note for you. Nothing irratates me more than someone who doesn't take responsibility for their actions such as the guy that hit your car and didn't leave a note. I sure hope they got a ticket on top of having to pay to get your car fixed. angry-hitselfonhead.gif

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
roydjt
post Sep 22 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #3 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

It looks like the area exposed by the chip is all primer, so you're protected from rust for the time being. Still, at some point the moisture will get through and you will see rust there. A car's sheet metal needs more than a coat of primer to last in the long run. I'd get it fixed. An auto body shop can blend the area so that the change is only noticeable if you know where to look, but I would guess that it would cost maybe a couple hundred bucks, most of that going to labor.

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

+Quote Post
keystroke
post Sep 23 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #4 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 9,638

Thanks guys! It was a bit discouraging to first have a hit and run (the third one I have had in a few years and the only time someone else left a note for me), then get a flat on the way back from having it repaired, and finally notice this new paint chip. It was a streak of bad luck! I hope it's over. Funny story... the woman who hit my car denied it even when the police called her. They had to go over to her apartment and show her how her car had damage consistent with having had an accident with mine. The witness was willing to testify and she had admitted to being in that parking lot when they spoke to her on the phone. Really strange. I'm not sure if they gave her a ticket or not, I was just happy to have her insurance pay.

On the bottom right of the chip see how there is a different color paint? Is that just another layer of primer? Does this look difficult to repair if I did it myself?

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
LeMeez
post Sep 23 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #5 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 23
Member No.: 13,293
Mood: Wise

That's too difficult to do yourself, the area needs to be done by a professional who can blend the area with the rest of the hood. Red is a difficult colour to work with. Go get an estimate, it may not be too bad considering ther is no dent, just paint peeling. If I didn't know better, I'd say that hood has been repaired before.

--------------------

2013 Elantra GT - Monaco White SE Tech pkg.

+Quote Post
sarge
post Sep 24 2012, 11:00 AM
Post #6 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

That's unfortunate. And more than just a small chip. Definitely not something I'd try repairing on my own with the size and fact that you'd probably have to break off the peeled up edges.

Get an estimate, and I'd almost even go back to the shop that did the other work (assuming the fender?). Maybe the shop could put the extra repair towards the woman's insurance company and save you even more.

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Sep 24 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #7 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Thanks Received: 423
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

holy crap! get that fixed or it will eventually peel even more.

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Repair Mistakes & Blunders!
0 RockAuto 6,180 29th March 2017 - 02:42 PM
Last post by: RockAuto
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsPaint color mismatch on Desert Bronze Elantra
Paint color mismatch on Desert Bronze Elantra
5 vanelantra 10,942 16th June 2015 - 10:53 PM
Last post by: vanelantra
No New Posts Repair manual
Repair Manual for EGT
19 PhillyDevil 3,451 26th October 2014 - 07:21 AM
Last post by: trololololo
No New Posts Should I put this on craigslist?
the chance encounter or whatever sectio
9 trololololo 627 20th March 2014 - 10:36 AM
Last post by: slowgls
No New Posts Repair Mistakes & Blunders
8 RockAuto 4,267 7th March 2014 - 05:12 PM
Last post by: mlumz

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:33 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America