Welcome to the new home of ElantraClub. We're starting things over from scratch. Please register and let's make this new place great. - Mitch

A bit about my new car

Former Elantra owners can discuss their new vehicles and hang out here.
elantragt
Club Administator
Club Administator

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Let me make this perfectly clear... I love Hyundai and I love the Elantra. For several months I tried tracking down an Elantra Sport in Galactic Gray with the DCT but they were pretty much non-existent. So, I went a different direction and bought a 2017 Civic EX-L turbo. It's a really nice ride with plenty of pep and great gas mileage.

Here's pics:

ElantraClub... the best Elantra forum online since 2002!

Flcerberus
Club Newbie
Club Newbie

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Nice, I caught Diesel Fever. I bought a used 2010 Jetta TDI sportwagon with a 6 spd manual, leather sunroof, nav, heated seats, sirius/xm and bluetooth. I love the car and plan to keep it despite the dieselgate controversy. I haven't done a lot of modding yet but have done an APR stage 1 tune. It's loads of fun with 170hp and 295lb/ft of torque. Handles like a GTI and gets 44mpg on the highway.

Slowgls
Club Newbie
Club Newbie

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Mitch i love the color. But i think i may go the way of most people. My next car may not be a Hyundai. Nothing in particular in mind but Hyundai doesn't have anything that excites me. Glad your happy with your Honda.
2008 Hyundai Elantra - daily and track toy
2008 Volvo s60 t5 - daily

elantragt
Club Administator
Club Administator

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Since I have to park on the street, side moldings are an important mod. Added some today and they look good too.
molding2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slowgls
Club Newbie
Club Newbie

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:05 am

Nice. Looking good.
2008 Hyundai Elantra - daily and track toy
2008 Volvo s60 t5 - daily

Neanderthal
Club Newbie
Club Newbie

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:09 pm

Cool, Mitch. Hmm. H not retaining customers. I guess you guys will be replaced with young folks!

I just got a new Soul. I really liked the Civic and if the seats hadn't been so low I'd probably be driving a Darth Vader Grey hatchback 1.5t right now.

I didn't like the buttons on the dash, I didn't like the electronic parking brake, but the drivetrain was BOSS and that trumped even the lack of a sunglasses holder.

Enjoy!

elantragt
Club Administator
Club Administator

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Neanderthal wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:09 pm
Cool, Mitch. Hmm. H not retaining customers. I guess you guys will be replaced with young folks!

I just got a new Soul. I really liked the Civic and if the seats hadn't been so low I'd probably be driving a Darth Vader Grey hatchback 1.5t right now.

I didn't like the buttons on the dash, I didn't like the electronic parking brake, but the drivetrain was BOSS and that trumped even the lack of a sunglasses holder.

Enjoy!
Thanks Neanderthal...

I want to touch on a couple of points about Hyundai and Honda. First off regarding Hyundai. I tried like hell to get into a new Elantra. Originally I tried to get the ECO. Seemed like a nice combo of pep and MPG. But alas, Hyundai treated that model like a red headed step child and trying to find one in my color choice proved to be an impossible pain in the ass. I gave up and switched my attention to getting an Elantra Sport in Galactic Gray with the DCT. The problem? That also was impossible to find in the combo I wanted. I also was disappointed in the Sports low MPG numbers.

On and off I had been checking out the 10th gen Civic. Seemed like a great combo of power, MPG and styling. Some will say it's overstyled but I like it. I went with the turbo sedan but also considered the hatch. My issue with the hatch was rearward visibility. I've never sat in a car with C pillars that huge. I'm glad I got the EX-L sedan. The visibility is great and I'm seeing 40+MPG in a mix of highway cruising and suburban stop and go. My Forte Sx got way less than 30MPG on the same loop.

This cars drivetrain is outstanding. You can putt putt around with the Econ button on or put it in low and zoom zoom 0-60 in 6.6 seconds everytime. The ride is smooth and the only thing holding back the handling are the ECO designed Firestone tires.

As far as seat height, since I'm the only person usually in there it's fine. My seat power adjusts for height. The Electronic parking brake is just fine by me and frees up huge space in the center console. You can literally fit a full size laptop in there. The brake hold feature rocks.

Overall I think I made a good choice but I definitely tried to get back into a Hyundai. Unfortunately their poor inventory prevented that from happening.

Mitch

Neanderthal
Club Newbie
Club Newbie

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:47 pm

I hear ya loud and clear, Mitch. I got into my Soul in a very roundabout manner. In my case, it was the KIA and Hyundai "sales" team--I use the term advisedly because they don't really seem interested in selling cars--that sent me packing on wild goose chases. Suffice it to say I got into a Maz6 which is a great car but seat height is a major issue with me, seats gave my wife especially major hip pains. I know height had something to do with it, you never know if design also factored in but I had to ditch it early.

IF...IF...IF the KIA sales guy had been even halfway on the ball, I'd have been in an Optima EX. That may have not worked out any better than the Maz, but getting out of it and into the Soul would likely have been easier and less costly.

KIA salesman #1 dropped me like hot potato. I was in the dealership one day ready to sign papers. He wasn't in, some fellow dope/salesman talked such foolishness that he had me ready to strangle him. I had to leave.

A day or two later I got a text from sales guy saying "I'll be calling you in 1/2 hour to talk about blah blah..." Three days later I got a text.
I went to the next closest dealer. They sold a lightly-used Soul I probably would've bought. Guy said new Soul would cost too much, he wasn't subtracting incentives properly. He did NOTHING to encourage my business. I've been in a search for about a year. My original target was Forte5SX like you had. Love the way they drive, MPG is about two generations behind Honda apparently.

Third KIA dealer, I just didn't give them time to screw up the deal. Bought car, drove 80 miles home.

Hyundai sales manager was "Going to call you Monday with a price on your trade." I NEVER heard from that mf again. I guess business is good if you can blow off a customer who has pen in hand and great credit.

The Honda salesmen, OTOH, were both pretty sharp and knew their stuff and were reasonably intelligent and did follow up. I'd have been GLAD to do business with either of them.

H/K definitely has some damned odd ducks "working for" them.

2014ElantraSE
Club Newbie
Club Newbie

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Love the side moldings! Did you install them yourself? If so, how much did it cost and how did you install them? Would love to do this on my elantra.
2014 Hyundai Elantra SE w/preferred package 56K miles

elantragt
Club Administator
Club Administator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Yeah I did it myself. They're OEM and weren't cheap but they look great and I feel better having some protection. Once you line them up via the directions, they have 3M automotive tape on the back. They just press in place.

I also added them to my Forte SX from an aftermarket company. They were awesome and look and stayed on great til I just sold it. Here's a link to the moldings for your Elantra:

http://spoilerandwingking.com/Hyundai-E ... e-Moldings
$99; and pick your paint color

• Information