Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ohio SCCA AutoX UPDATE W/PICS and Comments
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Automotive > The Racing Zone > Elantra Racing

View New Posts
Pages: 1, 2
Ishtar
Scott knows more info about this.

Anyone interested in a group meet at the race? Myself and Scott are gonna bring our whips to race.

I'd like to throw the gauntlet to Evan to come bring his ride, but really, any who can make it should, it'll be tons of fun.

Especially when I whup Evan.
LateAPXR
where in Ohio?

Our local region cancelled our event for this month and J-Son and I are really dying over here without one.
oiml8
Fostoria, OH. The Honeywell Plant

1600 N Union St
Fostoria, OH 44830-1958

About 120 miles from Fort Wayne, IN
and
92 miles from me
and
96 miles from Windsor, ON
and
2369 miles from Seattle, WA
lol

http://www.nworscca.com/modules.php?op=mod...dule&file=index
trololololo
you guy's beefin? LOL

go on pinks ! !!!! funniest episode ever no doubt.. haha..

jk..

don't forget your cameras...

we like pics here as you know.
evan938
i probably wont make it on the 9th. too much stuff to do.

good luck. im sure you'll finish one spot up in the hyundai class since i wont be coming out smile.gif. and i would hate for your mostly stock elantra to beat me rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

in all seriousness though, if you want to come down on the 14th (friday) i think jim (cypher on EXD) will be out here from MD for the weekend, and our drag track is open...6-11 as many runs as you can get for 10$. last time i went i got like 9 runs in.
Ishtar
Anyone can drag race, it's driver skill we're trying to measure here smile.gif

But maybe. If Scott will come, I will.
J-son

Well, I am game for the July 9th event. I will dbl check with the wifey,but I do not think anything is going on. I will also check with some of the guys in our region and see if they are game to.

I do not think I have anything really important going on...
confused-scratchhead3.gif
J-son
So I see you reading this Tim, what you think?
LateAPXR
I'm down for it. Jason and I will show up and have some fun with you guys.

So far it's what....

Jason
Myself
Ishtar
Oiml8

and maybe Evan?
J-son
This will be awesome! Hyundai drivers and their skills...who will take the glory!

We should start a thread of this. Get as many of us to an event and overwhelm them with the Hyundai fever! smile.gif
oiml8
HAHAHA AWESOME!!!!

Let's do some driving.gif baby 676.gif
LateAPXR
Hey scott...off topic / sorta on topic but don't you have brake ducts installed on your car?

(thought I remembered hearing that from someone)

If so, how did you route yours and what kind of tubing did you use? I just tried the other day with some flex sewage tubing (the kind made for motor homes) and got some rubbing when the wheels were turned to full lock.

I think a square shaped tube would work best....how'd you do yours?

Would kinda like to get it done before the event.
oiml8
Nope, no air ducts for brakes. I got a cold air feed for the SRI.

My biggest problem with the brakes is that they don't get hot enough quick enough. Having both the slots and the drilled holes means that early on you don't have as much braking ability as you do later on course. It is marginal but I find I lock up the brakes easier late in the course but almost never early on. They heat up pretty quick with the Hawk pads. So even after 2.5 seasons of autox, about 35k miles total on the brakes I have now I still have absolutely no warp in the disks.

If one more person decides to go then I will start a new thread for it, how about that? There is a guy here in MI near me that owns a Tib and has been at a couple of events around here. I PM'd him about going but he wasn't big on it. That was before I knew you guys were going tho so maybe I can convince him to change his mind.

BTW, My wife goes to all my events so if you wives/girls want to come along that would be cool. I'm not sure if my kids will be there. They are 10 and 15 so probably older than yours. We will probably have a grill and a big cooler. We have a 10x10 canopy for shade so just bring some chairs. We try to make kind of a big deal out of it on race day.
LateAPXR
I may not be able to make this event now unless I can get my speed sensor issue fixed by this weekend...sorry everyone sad.gif
Ishtar
Wassa matter with your speed sensor.

P.S. I got a buddy who is interested in coming down from Toronto in his Beta'd Accent.
LateAPXR
QUOTE (Ishtar @ Jul 3 2006, 02:25 PM)
Wassa matter with your speed sensor.

P.S. I got a buddy who is interested in coming down from Toronto in his Beta'd Accent.

http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php...topic=9546&st=0

That accent would be cool to see. I'm bringing my car in on wed. so hopefully I'll still be able to make it.
evan938
lateapxr - check your speed sensor thread
J-son
I will be still attending!

Love to see the accent. When I owned my blue LC I wanted to do this swap so bad when we first started talking about this on hp forums. God I miss that car sad.gif
LateAPXR
well for those that have been reading my speed sensor thread....it looks like I'll be attending the event!
Bobzilla
Can I bring the new truck? haha.gif Just messin' rofl.gif I don't think it would even MAKE the corners!
LateAPXR
probably not but you're more than welcome to try!

we've actually had a guy run our FTW events with a pickup truck for shits and giggles before. It was kinda funny.

PLOWED through corners and absolutely took off in the straights, lmao.
Ishtar
F-150 Lightning competed a fwe weeks ago.

lol Bob bring the XD. You aren't that far!
Bobzilla
Actually, the one I'm selling might actrually do OK considering the lowering springs and sway bar bushings and fat tires. Too bad we're going west this weekend.
J-son
Glad to see that you are going to make it Tim! I think I might have a high horsepower straight line buddy of mine coming Sunday to. He has this Mustang he has been building for 4 years now and he is thinking of riding up with me to check out autocross. Maybe b4 the end of the summer I can get him to race the stang in one of our last events smile.gif

I think we will have 3-4 cars heading over there from the Fort Wayne region guys. Best watch out, the last time we went on a road trip like this our we took home three 1st place trophies LOL!!! smile.gif

I cannot wait! I hope my 4 pt racing harness comes in b4 sunday!!!

Cheers
Ishtar
Oh man, this is gonna be great!
oiml8
Woot Woot!!!! It is gonna be fun celebrate.gif
oiml8
Last minute check.

My car is loaded up and I'm packed and ready to go. It doesn't look like we will have the grill for tomorrow. I hope to get a gas hibatchi. I will know pretty soon. Otherwise I'll just be having sandwiches and stuff. We have a big cooler that will be full of ice. We will have some water and pop but best to bring extra just in case. And don't forget sunscreen.

So Joe is meeting me at my house at 6am with a friend of his. Tim and Jason and 2 other guys coming from Fort Wayne? Is that right? The Tib owner I got the ultrasport struts for Joe from is not going to make it.
oiml8
UPDATE

We will have a grill so bring whatever you want to cook
Ishtar
Bringing two or three cars with me... not XDs but whatever biggrin.gif
J-son
Sorry I have not replied lately...We are all still coming!

Tim myself and 2-4 guys from the FWSCCA

WOOT WOOT! Late night here, just watched Ortis knock down Shamrock for the win!!! smile.gif HAHAHAH!!!

Probably get 3 hours sleep LOL! smile.gif
LateAPXR
Turns out it's only Jason and myself after all.

I forgot to ask earlier....this region will provide loaner helmets I hope? I don't own one.

If not well...guess I'll only be watching then...I'm still coming.
oiml8
yes they do and I have one and now my co driver for the subie is coming to drive my elantra and will be bringing one. See ya in a few hours.
LateAPXR
My battery was low so I couldn't get many but here are my pics from the event.

Enjoy biggrin.gif

http://lateapxr.hopto.org/main.php?cmd=alb...%2FJuly/&var2=2
oiml8
Here are my pics
Joe, Jason, and Tim lined up for their first runs.

Joe about to run his first lap of his first race

Jsaon checking ou the ass of the Mayor of Fostoria Ohio (guy in the black t-shirt) rofl.gif

Tim...before dirty underpants ohmy.gif

All the guys after the race (I already had my car on the trailer blush.gif )

It was very cool to meet everyone. I had a great time. We grilled some food and told some stories and exchanged ideas, talked about the Club thumbsup.gif and had some fun racing. Everyone left feeling like they could have done better. I guess that is why we keep doing it. driving.gif

We are hoping to get together for another race or two this year. It was cool to see 4 Elantra's in one Autox event. That might even be a national record for the most Elantra's at a race!!! LOL

We all did well and made a good showing. We even witnessed a Hyundai Miracle when 4 corner workers and a light pole were pushed out of the way by the invisible Hyundai Force Field. That must be one of the those "Hidden Treasures" we used to talk about here.

I'll post some vids soon. I have to upload them first.
trololololo
cool pics !

is an auto a bad idea for auto x? looks like alot of damn fun..

and i'd love to push my car to the limit for a whole day...
gmtorque
So who was the top Hyundai driver/car team. What were the times in relation to each other and was it all about the driver or did some car mods help at all.

From my experience driver is 75% of the equation. Case in point is my old Elantra with Eibachs and street rubber (BFG G force T/A) running as good or better than the Callaway turbo boys tuning a pre-production Mazdaspeed Protege on race rubber with a national level driver.
LateAPXR
Scott and Brian were the best drivers / team. Individually and together they had the best times out of all of us I believe.

Then Jason and then myself. I think Ishy came in last because it was his first time and he had an auto w/out coilovers but I never heard what he ran.

Ishy...can you correct me? What times did you run?

Oh and Cite...you'd have to talk with Dave (2loud) and Joe (Ishtar) about autocrossing an auto...they'd be able to comment.
gmtorque
Cite, one of my first autocross cars was a 92 Saturn SL2 auto. The 92 Saturn SL2 had a stiff suspension (so much so people complained and Saturn softened it for 93) so the car was awesome. I did VERY well with it. Of course the auto was adaptive so it was chirping second gear on the upshifts. Plus the auto was kicking down to first gear on slow coners so it was in a great powerband.

Control in the corners is a little tricky but the car was so light it carried momentum very well and I was still able to control it very well with the throttle. Big thing with the auto is to brake early and then gas out hard. If you are good at left foot braking you can coax more out of an auto but it is tricky to get it right.

Forgot to mention, I was also using R1 race rubber so that helped alot as well.
oiml8
I'll let the other guys post their fastest runs but mine and Brian's (second driver of my car and co-owner of the Subie) had the fastest times for the elantra's. I placed third and Brian placed 5th for the event in STS.

My fastest clean time was 48.103
My fastest time (clipped the last cone on the last gate on the slalom which was at the end of the course on my final run. damnit angry-hitselfonhead.gif ) 47.605

Brian fastest clean lap and final run 48.883

Fastest lap in STS was 45.5 something. It was in an 06 Scion tC. The guy would not talk about his car and never opened the hood. According to the regular racers at the event he was "the guy to beat". I'm naturally suspcious of people who don't talk about their car and how they have it set up and won't open the hood. He wouldn't even stand by his car after his lap. I'm not saying he was cheating but why be so coy? It's just for fun right?

My Final Lap Vid
gmtorque
How did that time compare with others on the course? Mini coopers or such?
oiml8
sorry, see 'edited' post above. ^^^
LateAPXR
My first 2 runs were totally botched....(check out my Close Call thread) but the last to were 53.4 and 52.4.....or something like that.

I gained a full second on the last run. Had I had a total of 4 good runs I might have done better.

I think I was 2 seconds slower than Jason which is where I should be on these tires. Our setups are fairly similar the only difference being settings, tires/wheels and strut bars.

I think Ishy did a 56.xxx at one point? He'd have to post....I don't know.
gmtorque
Scott this may be something to consider with that Scion Tc.

Back when I raced my 99 Elantra there was a guy with a 98 Toyota Celica (2900lbs and 130hp). He would always beat me pretty good and I could never figure out why. He was national ranked so that could have had something to do with it though. He was so fluid that it did not even look like he was going that fast.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Tc and that Celica had big torque for the size car. The Tc makes 163 ft/lbs stock and the Celica was making 144 ft/lbs stock. That really makes a difference in autocross when you generally leave the car in second gear for the whole course.
oiml8
Oh absolutely. A great driver in an average car can beat an average driver in a great car all day long. I was talking with a great driver at a recent race and he agreed to swap cars if we go somewhere where there are fun runs. I'm really interested in whether or not he can get more out that I am. If he can it supports my theory that all my car needs is a better driver. blush.gif

And Ialso hope to pull more torque out with the fuel tuner that is coming.
LateAPXR
We usually have fun runs at our events Scott.....

If you guys end up coming down ever can you drive mine? I'd like to see what can be coaxed out of it.

LOL

Just don't do what I did...wink.gif
Ishtar
56 something is what I ran... on:

A/S Kumho Ecsta AST's (205/45/17, 17x7 rims)
H&R Springs and Tibby Struts
Autotragic

I would have to say the biggest thing I was learning was WHEN to put the power down. I only took down cones on my last run (where I DNF'd by being too hard through the slalom and taking one whole slalom out). First run I kept breaking loose and sliding all over the place (57.8 seconds). Second run, My goal was to enter the corners as fluidly as I could, but I backed off on the straights (59.7 seconds). Third run I adjusted down my air pressure from 50psi up front to 45psi, and this time was easy in the corners and hard on the straights (this is when I pulled my best time). Final lap the car got away from me on the back stretch. Oh well, I learned some good tips and techniques, and I had a crapload of fun. I'm hooked.

P.S. my A/C was on, that means I could have lapped Scott had I turned it off

ROFLMAO
gmtorque
So do any of you have enough front end grip to get the rear sliding and using a little opposite lock steering and the throttle to pull it through? That is when you really know you are using every thing the car can give you.
LateAPXR
Scott's car I think is kind of setup like that....I'd LOVE for mine to be that way. It looked like Brian got the rear to step out a little a couple times.

There was a CSP class Focus that was tuned like that....in fact during 1 run of his he was drifting the car around the 2 tight corners and into the slalom.

It looked to be set up PERFECTLY....that rear rotated so easily and yet he didn't seem to be wasting time sliding around.

When I can do that....oh man....I may just buy everyone here drinks. Don't get too thirsty though...probably will never happen, lol.
Ishtar
Dude... these all seasons are KILLING my grip. I am VERY happy with my suspension setup, its the tires that are stepping out.
gmtorque
QUOTE (LateAPXR @ Jul 10 2006, 11:22 AM)
Scott's car I think is kind of setup like that....I'd LOVE for mine to be that way. It looked like Brian got the rear to step out a little a couple times.

There was a CSP class Focus that was tuned like that....in fact during 1 run of his he was drifting the car around the 2 tight corners and into the slalom.

It looked to be set up PERFECTLY....that rear rotated so easily and yet he didn't seem to be wasting time sliding around.

When I can do that....oh man....I may just buy everyone here drinks. Don't get too thirsty though...probably will never happen, lol.

I does take awhile along with some failure. I have more than one spin on an autocross at around 60mph due to the rear slide that I was working on mastering. Have had plenty of lower speed slides (30-45) that were part of aggressive driving and very well controlled.

It is a total adreneline rush when you get it right and can feel the rear just barely hanging with it or even sliding slightly yet you don't loose any speed and are actually rotating it around the corners. The quick switchbacks are the best with the quick weight transfers.
---------
QUOTE (Ishtar @ Jul 10 2006, 11:24 AM)
Dude...  these all seasons are KILLING my grip.  I am VERY happy with my suspension setup, its the tires that are stepping out.

What is your front and rear toe setting and tire pressures?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.