Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newest Elantra Owner
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
Big Blue
Just wanted to jump in and say Hi! It didn't take long for me to find you here, I picked up a new Elantra yesterday. I'm looking forward to learn a few things from you all.
Don
bikerPA
Welcome! Glad you found the club. There's an awful lot of information kickin' around here. If you ever have any questions, folks are pretty helpful. Just ask!
sizzski
Welcome to the club:) What kind of Elantra do you have?
Elantrick
Hi Big Blue,
I take it you must own a tidal wave blue GT. Hatch or Sedan?
Big Blue
Thanks for the warm welcome! I spent quite a bit of time agonizing over which Elantra to get. One thing I didn't want was the perferated leather. I had it in a Chrysler, and it was hard for me to clean, the little perforations would fill with the leather cleaner and make it worse than before I cleaned it. It looks great, but just hard to clean. I did however want the GT Hatch for all the other goodies. I ended up with a GLS Hatch. Sorry if the screen name misleads, my car is their Sterling color, the screen name is a knickname left over from high school, too many years ago to count. I wanted the hatch for the ease of use, and the looks of the rear end, also it came with the four wheel disc brakes which are a plus. This is my second Hyundai, the first being a 1989 Excell hatch, which I loved. I have put about 100 miles on this new car, and it's twice the car the Excell was. I topped off the gas tank, and in that first 100 miles, it got 35.4 MPG in mostly city driving. Can't beat that. I'm looking forward to adding a few personal touches, and it seems I found the right place to gather info on them.
Thanks,
Don
Big Blue
I've made a little bit of progress since I bought the car. I removed the resonator, leaving the tube from the airbox to the fender to draw cold air. I also added a K+N filter, I felt the difference with that add on. I added aftermarket fog lights, LED footwell lighting, and LED additional lighting for the cargo area. It's got three coats of Meguiars new high tech wax. I also ordered a full front end cover, to keep the stones and bugs from chipping the paint, it should be in this week.
Now for a good newbie question, where should I go from here? I have a somewhat limited budget, maybe $150 per month, but would like to improve the handling and performance. What should be my next step? Keep in mind I have the GLS Hatch, so it's got the GT suspension and brakes, but not the wheels or other goodies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
ricerrx7
First thing, cancel the order on the front end cover. These cause more damage than they prevent. If you want protection for that, get the 3M clear bra. As for handling upgrades, go with the stock rear sway bar from a '03+ Tiburon V6 GT. Along with the bar you'll want the metal endlinks and the bigger bushings.
MrHoaf
I added the rear sway bar a couple months ago, and it makes a big difference.

I know this suggestion costs more than the $150 limit you mentioned, but after the sway bar, I would recommend new wheels and tires. I put 16's on this week and they help tremendously with the handling. They also dress up they car very nicely. You can save for a couple months and make a big difference to the handling and looks of the car all at once...
Bigs
Welcome Big Blue! Nice to see you are already doing a few mods! thumbsup.gif
Big Blue
QUOTE (MrHoaf @ Mar 27 2005, 08:14 PM)
I added the rear sway bar a couple months ago, and it makes a big difference. 

I know this suggestion costs more than the $150 limit you mentioned, but after the sway bar, I would recommend new wheels and tires.  I put 16's on this week and they help tremendously with the handling.  They also dress up they car very nicely.  You can save for a couple months and make a big difference to the handling and looks of the car all at once...

I've had that in mind for a while now. Like you say they are pricey. I had read that the sway bar will give the best handling improvement for the bucks than any other mod, so I'll probably do that first, but I do have a plan in mind that will put $400 in my hand to apply to the wheels and tires. What does a nice set of both run? I'm thinking about $800?
Don
Big Blue
QUOTE (Bigs @ Mar 28 2005, 07:01 PM)
Welcome Big Blue!  Nice to see you are already doing a few mods!  thumbsup.gif

Thanks for both the welcome and the encouragement! You guys are an inspiration and a great source of otherwise unattainable information. I'm really lucky to have stumbled onto a great group of people here. I haven't always jumped into the fray on many of these posts, but I do a lot of reading and appreciate all of the input from those in the know.

Thanks,
Don
cobas
Hey, a fast starter. It took me almost a year to get around to the sway bar and almost two to start messing with the intake. Anyway, yes, the sway bar is what I did first, then wheels and tires. I got my wheels pretty cheap off eBay for $400 (retailed at $700 elsewhere) and put some nice $100 tires on. It went a bit over $900 with shipping, 'road hazzard' insurance and installation. Welcome!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.