Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breaking in a new GT
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
dcdye
Thanks for the recommendations on doing some initial mods, I have already emailed Dwayne in Richmond. I am glad I live in Norfolk, only 1.5 hours away. maybe I can go visit.

I am picking up my GT tomorrow from the dealership and I am looking for advice on breaking it in and treating the engine/transmission right from the start. Should I go with an oil/tran fluid additive like slick 50, etc.? Any advice is welcome.
roydjt
It is my understanding that just about all oil/fuel/tranny additives like Slick50, ProLong, etc., are all snake oil. Most gasolines these days are full of detergents to clean out the fuel lines and modern oils don't leave the kinds of buildup that these products claim to clean out. This subject was asked in the old forums several times and every time it was shot down with a chorus of "Don't waste your money!"

As far as breaking it in, Hyundai claims that there is no break-in period at all with their motors. On the side of caution, I was careful the first 1500 miles with mine - I made sure not to accelerate too aggressively, kept it below ~4000RPM, didn't take it over 70mph, and no long trips of more than, say, 45 minutes. Just take it easy and don't hot-rod it too much.

One important thing - try not to engage in any sudden braking for the first several hundred miles. This can warp your rotors if it is done before the shoes and rotors are properly worn in.

Enjoy the new car! Be sure to fill out your member profile, particularly where you are from!

-Roy
stauf
d0h!! Well, I hope their Zero-Breakin period is right then.. lol

Being my first manual, I've probably not been as nice to the clutch as I could have, and I've made a few high rpm shifts and runs.. But less then a handfull. I read my manual and it stated during the first 2000 miles, to keep the rpms between 2k and 4k and no jackrabbit starts.. Well, the starts were unavoidable for me at first, but I've kept it between 2-4k tho.. The first week I had the car, I took a random, unplanned trip north to San Luis.. Nice 400 miles in one night.. LoL... Was fun tho! I'm trying to be nice until I hit 2k when I can. I plan on switching to Amsoil 5W-30 Syth on the oilchange with an Amsoil SDF20 filter.. The dealership shouldn't bark too much about an Amsoil filter..

Oh, and with TCS off, I've chirped the tires on the 1-2 shift a time or two.. heh-heh..
elantragt
I've chirped the tires on the 1-2 shift a time or two

That's a bit of an accomplishment in our cars stauf! rofl.gif
stauf
QUOTE (elantragt @ Feb 2 2005, 07:53 PM)
That's a bit of an accomplishment in our cars stauf!  rofl.gif

Then I guess adding the fact that I have no idea 'how' I'm doing it, adds even more.. rofl.gif

edit to add: btw, i'll have that thread posted tonight with some photos.. just don't mind the dirt.. plans to wash are forthcomming.. lol
dcdye
Thanks, I will avoid the additives and be careful for the first 1500-2000 mi. How about best choices for engine and trans oil? Is synthetic worth the money? Thanks everybody.

I bring her home today!!!
roydjt
I hear that synthetic is a great way to go - and the sooner you can change over, the better for the car. Most natural oils are recommended to be changed every 3-5,000 miles, synthetics can go 15-20,000! If a car is operated for a long time and switched to synthetic, the gaskets can leak and more oil blow-by may be seen. I know that was the case with my old Saturn, I switched at about 100k thinking it would help the durability of the car, and I started to leak/burn about a quart a month.

Synthetic fuels break down less readily, so they stay cleaner and form less residue inside the motor. This also saves the oil filter. I'm sure I'll make the switch sometime, I'm @ 12xxx miles now and by 20 I want top be on synthetic. Mobil1 seems to be the preferred choice on jsut about every comparision site I have seen.

-Roy
Tirolerpeter
Hey Stauf its one thing to be a bit "jerky" on shifts and clutch engagements while learning to drive stick, its another matter to relish "chirping" the wheels on 1 - 2 upshifts. If that is what you enjoy doing then don't bother asking about "break-in" procedures. And, I'm sure we will we be hearing you express concerns over clutch slippage, and/ or chatter in the near future. You will get to enjoy your EGT much longer if you don't beat on it. other-twocents.gif
silet
QUOTE (Tirolerpeter @ Feb 3 2005, 02:02 PM)
Hey Stauf its one thing to be a bit "jerky" on shifts and clutch engagements while learning to drive stick, its another matter to relish "chirping" the wheels on 1 - 2 upshifts.  If that is what you enjoy doing then don't bother asking about "break-in" procedures.  And, I'm sure we will we be hearing you express concerns over clutch slippage, and/ or chatter in the near future.  You will get to enjoy your EGT much longer if you don't beat on it.  other-twocents.gif

He didn't ask, he just added to the post about it being too late for him tongue.gif
Blupupher
QUOTE (stauf @ Feb 2 2005, 11:38 PM)
d0h!!    Well, I hope their Zero-Breakin period is right then..  lol

Being my first manual, I've probably not been as nice to the clutch as I could have, and I've made a few high rpm shifts and runs..  But less then a handfull.  I read my manual and it stated during the first 2000 miles, to keep the rpms between 2k and 4k and no jackrabbit starts..  Well, the starts were unavoidable for me at first, but I've kept it between 2-4k tho..  The first week I had the car, I took a random, unplanned trip north to San Luis..  Nice 400 miles in one night..  LoL...  Was fun tho!    I'm trying to be nice until I hit 2k when I can.  I plan on switching to Amsoil 5W-30 Syth on the oilchange with an Amsoil SDF20 filter..    The dealership shouldn't bark too much about an Amsoil filter..

Oh, and with TCS off, I've chirped the tires on the 1-2 shift a time or two..  heh-heh..

Just a little FYI, Amsoil is a good synthetic, but their big selling point in extended drain intervals, up to 25,000 miles with a filter change midway and an oil analasys. Only problem is this will void your warrenty on the engine if there is any problem with it, regardless if the long oil change is the real problem. They will state that it says in the owners manual that the max mileage for an oil change is 7500 miles. There are other quality synthetic oils out there for less.
I use a synthetic and change every 7500 miles.
And whatever you do, stay away from Fram oil filters. They are the biggest pieces of junk out there, even the Wal-Mart Super Tech filters are better (and cheaper) than Fram.
gonzo777
I think I can answer 'how'...

I can chirp from 1-2 if I'm accelerating hard from a stop sign when merging into perpendicular traffic (left or right).

I think all of the power is getting shifted by the diff to one wheel because of the turn... and the chirp for 2nd is because I shift into second when finishing, but still in the turn.
stauf
QUOTE (Roydjt @ Feb 3 2005, 10:58 AM)
I hear that synthetic is a great way to go - and the sooner you can change over, the better for the car.  Most natural oils are recommended to be changed every 3-5,000 miles, synthetics can go 15-20,000!  If a car is operated for a long time and switched to synthetic, the gaskets can leak and more oil blow-by may be seen.  I know that was the case with my old Saturn, I switched at about 100k thinking it would help the durability of the car, and I started to leak/burn about a quart a month. 

Synthetic fuels break down less readily, so they stay cleaner and form less residue inside the motor.  This also saves the oil filter.  I'm sure I'll make the switch sometime, I'm @ 12xxx miles now and by 20 I want top be on synthetic.  Mobil1 seems to be the preferred choice on jsut about every comparision site I have seen.

-Roy

I agree it should be changed asap.. With one caution.. Engine break-in should always be done with Dyno oil.. I plan to switch out at 3k, which at the rate I'm going will be month 2 of ownership.. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tirolerpeter @ Feb 3 2005, 11:02 AM)
Hey Stauf its one thing to be a bit "jerky" on shifts and clutch engagements while learning to drive stick, its another matter to relish "chirping" the wheels on 1 - 2 upshifts.  If that is what you enjoy doing then don't bother asking about "break-in" procedures.  And, I'm sure we will we be hearing you express concerns over clutch slippage, and/ or chatter in the near future.  You will get to enjoy your EGT much longer if you don't beat on it.  other-twocents.gif

Silet is correct.. I only said it was too late for me.. And to take what I wrote and assume I enjoy beating on cars isn't right either.. I was reading the archives last night regarding shifting and learned a few things. Just because occasionally we have a lil "fun" with our cars, doesn't mean we regularly abuse them.. Should also note my other cars listed in my sig. I'd much rather take my Skylark or 455 Powered Electra and show these Honda kiddies a thing or two...

QUOTE (silet @ Feb 3 2005, 11:22 AM)
He didn't ask, he just added to the post about it being too late for him  tongue.gif

Thank you. I'd much rather torment ppl in my old cars then I would my new car.. I just find the GT sporty and fun.. Whats so wrong with that... confused-scratchhead3.gif

Also regarding the break in proceedure.. I forgot to mention the manual also stating not to let the engine idle for more then 3 minutes.. Which here in LA traffic, is a lost cause...
dcdye
Thanks for the oil advice. I will stay with the stock oil until 2000mi then switch to synthetic. BTW, I brought her home yesterday and she looks great. Too bad it was sleeting/snowing in Hampton Roads yesterday, I got her all dirty. Now I get to wash her today! I will put up pictures soon.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.