Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad timing for CEL - U0101
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > J2/XD/HD Generations > Elantra General Discussions

View New Posts
Gannam
This is more of a rant than request for assistance with troubleshooting.

Due to family health reasons, my wife and I are planning to relocate sometime in April/May. So after we've decided to try to sell my 2003 Elantra rather than replace the rear right brake caliper and patch the exhaust, my wife's 2010 Accent hatchback (automatic) threw a CEL yesterday after work. What was really fun is the O/D light was flashing...all strobe lights strive to flash so quickly. huh.gif The car seems like it's stuck in 3rd gear and won't display the state of the transmission on the HUD. (No P, R, N, D, 2, or 1 is displayed.) When putting it into drive it lurched forward. I drove the vehicle home as gently as possible after verifying that the transmission fluid levels were okay and didn't smell burned. (Note that the CEL was solid and not flashing.)

My OBD scanner is showing the error U0101 "generic." (Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module) After looking it up, from what I can tell, it's an error that could be related to a number of things but may require a replacment TCM. I have an appointment with the dealership as I'd rather them diagnose a possible electric/computer problem than my regularly trusted mechanic. These past few months have been expensive and this is not something that was expected. Why when it rains must it pour. angry-bangheadonwall.gif
bhorste
That's pretty rough, man. Hope it isn't horribly expensive...
trololololo
hope it all works out

hope it all works out
Gannam
Update:

So...the car is apparently still under warranty, even though my second-hand purchase receipt says different! I have the car back in full working order again. Apparently, the ECU needed to be updated and the coils for cylinders 1 and 3 had failed causing misfires. They updated the ECU, replaced the 2 faulty coils, and I had them replace all spark plugs while it was in. (-17C today with wind chill = NO FUN working on a car outside, so I consider the cost worth it.) I only ended up paying for the spark plugs, and service to install them. I'm relieved that it was not the huge bill that I was expecting!
mlumz
That's great news and now you know the car is running back to normal.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.