Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That was easy...
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Hyundai/Kia > The Kia Zone > The Forte Forum

View New Posts
elantragt
When I had my Elantra GT I pretty much did all my own oil changes. Since I've had my Forte SX though, I've had the dealer change the oil. I guess a combination of the fact my HOA doesn't like me doing the changes on my parking lot and/or my not so good back or just getting older accounts for the change.

Well, with Tammy going through this bad spell of health and other things, I kind of have neglected the car. Hell, I haven't even washed it in like 6 months! And you don't even know how long it's been since the oil was changed. blush.gif

Anyhow I decided to take the plunge and just change it in front of my house. If the neighbors wanted to report me to the HOA so be it. rolleyes.gif

I haven't even so much as looked under the engine of the car before. But man, was I suprised. After this bad boy was up on the Rhino Ramps I slipped under the car to investigate. Holy crap. The oil filter and drain pan are easily in reach... with me barely even sliding under the car. Honestly, it took me 10 minutes after draining the oil. Easiest oil change ever. The only issue I ran into was that the dealer "mechanic" who put on the filter tightened it way too far.

Thankfully, I had my trusty oil filter socket wrench cap. thumbsup.gif
Alex2013GT
Nice work! I haven't done oil changes on my GT either. For the $20 or so the dealer charges and knowing that they have everything stored in the system should I ever have engine problems makes it worth it. A free cup of coffee and perusing the lot without kids makes it a relaxing wait too. laugh.gif
bhorste
popeye
thumbsup.gif

I saw a guy yesterday under his car that the front was up on jackstands in his drive that was at a decline/incline and I had to do a double take for the rear wheel chocks that I didn't see ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
slowgls
Heck i even got Kendra doing oil changes on the gt.
VIG
Hyundai has done a good job at making oil changes easy. I didn't even use ramps on the Accent because everything was right there.

I changed the oil in iheartmyredcar's Subaru Legacy yesterday, and I've got to say that's the easiest ones I've ever done. The oil filter sits on top right next to the oil fill. No spilling or awkward angles. Super easy.
trololololo
oil filter placement on some models cars are stupid... glad hyundai made it easy
my nissan is pointed DOWN right on top of cv shaft. dumb

i mean filter pounts up so oil inside drops right onto axle
Bobzilla
agreed. The Theta is even easier than the Alpha/Beta oil change, which is really easy.
RPW00Mirage
QUOTE (trololololo @ Apr 14 2014, 09:50 AM) *
oil filter placement on some models cars are stupid... glad hyundai made it easy
my nissan is pointed DOWN right on top of cv shaft. dumb

ha, honda too.

it is so easy to do the changes on these cars i'm curious why the dealer needs it for an hour.

for the cheap money i'd rather have the dealer do it. plus they do so much more - wash the car vac and wipe it down inside, top off fluids and air pressures. cant complain smile.gif
Bobzilla
Worst car I've owned to change the oil was the 'Zuk Grand Vitara. took 2 cans of brake cleaner to get the oil out of the crossmember and off the front diff and you had to be a contortionist to get to the filter. No matter what you did, it would drip dry for a week.
Blupupher
My Jeep had a sideway mounted filter, just stupid.

My wifes Grand Caravan was super easy. Filter was right up front, loosen it, let it drip for 2-3 minutes and take it off. The XD2 is pretty easy too (a few drips from the filter).

My F150 is not too bad, just hard to ge to the filter, and you really need one of those filter end wrenches to get it off.
bhorste
The Rio's oil filter is in a horrible spot. On the firewall side, over the passenger side halfshaft. Guaranteed to dump down your arm when you take it off the engine.
VIG
QUOTE (Toby Flenderson @ Apr 14 2014, 11:25 AM) *
My F150 is not too bad, just hard to ge to the filter, and you really need one of those filter end wrenches to get it off.

What year is your f150? Is it the 6 or the 8?

Blupupher
QUOTE (VIG @ Apr 14 2014, 08:51 PM) *
What year is your f150? Is it the 6 or the 8?

5.4 v-8.

afob3
slowgls
Most ford truck are horrible to change the filter.
FurunoFan
My 05' Tucson had a large splash guard that had to be removed each time to change the filter. What a pain. Glad I let the dealer change the oil.

I can't speak for the 13'GT, I haven't crawled under there. I have a deal with my dealer to change my oil for life. I plan to own this one a LONG time. The dealer is betting I won't. I plan to prove him wrong.
Vinnie
QUOTE (FurunoFan @ Apr 15 2014, 11:19 AM) *
My 05' Tucson had a large splash guard that had to be removed each time to change the filter. What a pain.

YUP!!! Inlaw's 2007 is the same way. Pisses me off every time I change his oil. Wanted to cut out a section for access but the way the shield is, you'd lose structure of the shield making it scrape.

FML!
VIG
Yeah, same deal with the Mustang. Have to remove the splash shield to get the oil filter out. And the splash shield doesn't actually come all the way off. It just hangs down.
yjolly
If you want real easy, do an oil change on an Ecotec engine:

Filter access is from the top; the filter cap gets unscrewed with a 1 1/4" socket. The only reason to get under the car is to remove the drain plug. With a Fumoto valve, all I had to do was put one knee on the ground.

Yves
FurunoFan
Looks too easy... I bet someone has a patent on it and the filer cost is 3x the cost.
slowgls
No but that plastic cap get cross treaded very easy.
bhorste
Changing the seals on the cap and the core are a pain... but that might be the hardest part (at least on my mom's '09 Sonata).
slowgls
Plus you need a special too to get the cap off with out running it.
yjolly
QUOTE (FurunoFan @ Apr 15 2014, 03:40 PM) *
Looks too easy... I bet someone has a patent on it and the filer cost is 3x the cost.

Lol; yeah, I bet you GM has a patent on this setup. It's virtually on every 4 cyl car that they've sold for the past 10 years. A few million units.

The OEM filter is between 6 and 7 dollars; they can be had for 4 to 5 $ in cases of 12.

No but that plastic cap get cross treaded very easy.

Really? I've done at least 30 oïl changes on this system and never had a cross threaded cap. Have you seen the size of the threads on these things? It's much more likely to crossthread a regular filter than this. What can happen is people screwing them on too tight and cracking them, but a replacement is 15$. They have to be started by hand, like any other filter install.

Changing the seals on the cap and the core are a pain...

Again, never had to change one, you just make sure it's in good shape....and leave it there.

Plus you need a special too to get the cap off with out running it.

A 1.25" socket is a special tool? laugh.gif

Yves

slowgls
Better then most people would do. But here is what i have. I have a matco set like this.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/wrench-32mm-oi...CFUtk7AodPQsAEA

I'v done more oil changes on Ecotech than i would like to admit. Cross-threaded, heat cycled, and broke caps. See it all. Try doing on on a Cadillac Cattera with the Opal V6. Its under the front cat and will never come out right.The hole canister turns. Stupid car all together.
trololololo
that opel v6 was in my 2001 saturn l300 and i got screwed time and time again unknowingly when i went to dealership told me the filter was NEVER changed by quickie lube place i took it to 3x's

i remember the first time i went there they said they didnt start carrying the cartridge filters for my model yet... but 3 months later and twice after that apparently they changed oil and left the filter where it was...

the business folded and got bought by someone else who told me they had to replace several engines including one or two saturn v6's.... smh

the wifes 08 Edge is pretty easy although the filter is right behind the air dam... hit a deer or something hard enough and its gone
slowgls
That V6 was junk. Makes you wonder why they started putting a Honda V6 in the vue after 2 years of production.
trololololo
yeah when i lost a race to a 92 accord full of girls... i realized it wasnt the v6 i had hoped for (3500)

although my trunk and back seat were packed to roof with magazines and posters and cds when i was promoting the KMX Area One tour ( Outkast, Roots, Nelly Furtado others)
xdforme22
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Apr 14 2014, 10:25 AM) *
Worst car I've owned to change the oil was the 'Zuk Grand Vitara. took 2 cans of brake cleaner to get the oil out of the crossmember and off the front diff and you had to be a contortionist to get to the filter. No matter what you did, it would drip dry for a week.

Was this also the car you owned where the filter was directly behind/under the exhaust manifold? I have not yet done an oil change on my Koup since the first was taken car of under warranty for a leaking oil pan and the second was in the middle of our arctic blast this winter. I was planning to do the next one but it seems the oil pan is leaking again so that will probably be redone by the dealer as well.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.