Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Bought an Ebay intake
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > J2/XD/HD Generations > Power Zone

View New Posts
2000J25SP
I bought this L3 racing intake off of Ebay, $40 and free shipping. The quality isn't exactly the best, but it does look better than the factory air box, and gives a nice little growl at wot.

It also came with blue hoses that go to the iacv and valve cover, they were the wrong size (and tacky as hell) so I got some 3/8 and 3/4 heater hose. The couplers are pretty terrible, so I might change them out sometime. I also swapped out the filter with a Spectre that I had laying around.

And the mount needs to be carefully bent a little bit to reach the tranny mount.

$200 Injen intake vs $40 Ebay intake.
slowgls
Very nice, I never did a cold air intake on my j2 but i did remove the resonator so it was a factory cai with a paper filter. Seemed to help.So my quetions is, is it worth the 40 you spent?
2000J25SP
QUOTE (slowgls @ Feb 12 2014, 07:27 PM) *
Very nice, I never did a cold air intake on my j2 but i did remove the resonator so it was a factory cai with a paper filter. Seemed to help.So my quetions is, is it worth the 40 you spent?

Well, it does sound much better than the resonator delete did. Overall I'm pleased. I wouldn't say it's the best $40 I've ever spent, but it's not the worst either.
slowgls
The butt dyno seemed to like the fresh air the car was getting. Should have put a k&n filter in the stock box.
roydjt
That looks nice, and it sounds like you're happy with the results. Nice pic on the bracket, that's a useful thing to note. The couplers can be replaced as you noted, as can the cone filter if you're not totally happy with that. For the price, it's a good deal just for tubing with the right bends and lengths!

-Roy
a_v
Very nice for the price! Looks roomier in the engine bay with all that stock intake stuff gone.
RPW00Mirage
as long as the couplers and clamps hold the pipes why bother swapping them out?

good silicon can get expensive.
Alex2013GT
Looks good and definitely a great price on that!
2000J25SP
In my original review I stated that the mounts don't line up. This summer ELMurcielago came to the house, he has the same intake. He just trimmed the couplers to fit around the hoses, then the couplers can slide up farther and the mounts line up perfectly. But that moves the filter a couple inches higher, it sits on the transmission, even worse for the intake temperature.

I didn't like the idea of a hot-air-intake, so I rigged up the stock air box "top" on the end of the intake. Hopefully the incoming air will be a couple degrees cooler in the wheel well than the engine bay.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.