Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended DIYs for new 05 5dr GT
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
dcdye
I bring home my 05 5dr manual Tidal Wave GT in 2 days. I dislike the "external" mods that make cars look flashy, but I want to make my new GT personalized to suit me. I am fairly good with cars, but new to the Elantra. Interior and performance tweeks seem like the best ones to try, with the easy ones to try first. Any recommendations.
bikerPA
I got this one, boys...
SWAYBAR SWAYBAR SWAYBAR! The swaybar off of the V6 tiburon will improve handling more than you might think, and it's maybe a 45 minute install if you've ever used a socket wrench before. Click "main" up under the club banner, go to "members," and then scroll down to "member specials;" call up Dwayne at West Broad Hyundai in Richmond, VA and get them to send you a full upgrade set for $106+s/h.

After that, it's up to you! Check out the old main site's DIY and Customizing sections, and ask boatloads of questions - we're here to help answer them. Decide what you want to do, and if nobody's done it, be brave... after all, your car only cost a hair under $15k, right? You can't screw anything up too badly. wink.gif And if you do something new, write up a DIY and take photos!

Welcome to the club, and good luck!
sizzski
QUOTE (bikerPA @ Feb 1 2005, 10:54 PM)
I got this one, boys... 
SWAYBAR SWAYBAR SWAYBAR!  The swaybar off of the V6 tiburon will improve handling more than you might think,

I know this is off topic but what will a up grade of a swaybar do for me? I am new to mod world. help.gif
bikerPA
A thicker swaybar will more evenly distribute the wight of the car across both rear wheels in a turn, resulting in more even grip and less body lean when cornering or changing lanes and stiffening up the rear end preventing understeer.

It'll make your car feel less like an 80's cadillac and more like a new Mazda3 without the harsh ride penalty.
sizzski
bikerPA, Thanks for the help
gonzo777
I'll second the mention of the sway bar - it's the best bang for the buck performance-wise. 15mm versus 19mm doesn't sound like a lot ... but think of it like the difference between being 15 years old and 19 years old.

I also suggest removing the intake resonator. (See the fine DIY section on the main site) I left the gooseneck that goes into the fender so I can still draw cooler air in from there but I removed the rest. If nothing else you get a little more 'satisfying' sound when you go WOT.

Interior-wise, the dash cover kits can be nice. Check out elantragt's aluminum dash cover. It's harder to find for '04-'05 but ....

I also replaced my factory 'excuse me, but I think I was her first' horn for a more 'what the f@#$ are you thinking' dual-tune horn. I think of it as a road safety upgrade.
hickie13
QUOTE (dcdye @ Feb 1 2005, 10:47 PM)
I bring home my 05 5dr manual Tidal Wave GT in 2 days.  I dislike the "external" mods that make cars look flashy, but I want to make my new GT personalized to suit me.  I am fairly good with cars, but new to the Elantra.  Interior and performance tweeks seem like the best ones to try, with the easy ones to try first.  Any recommendations.

Welcome dcdye -

In addition to the swaybar (which should be the first thing you do - otherwise you'll ge rusty nuts! blink.gif ) you could go with a short shifter install, put in some better sounding speakers, and do any of the plethora of southpawboston's interior/electronical upgrades. Good luck. It's limited only by your $ flow and creativity.
dcdye
I got this one, boys...
SWAYBAR SWAYBAR SWAYBAR! The swaybar off of the V6 tiburon will improve handling more than you might think, and it's maybe a 45 minute install if you've ever used a socket wrench before. Click "main" up under the club banner, go to "members," and then scroll down to "member specials;" call up Dwayne at West Broad Hyundai in Richmond, VA and get them to send you a full upgrade set for $106+s/h.

Thanks for the advice. Should I do the front sway bar too? What about strut linkages?

I have alrady emailed Dwayne to say Hi and introduce myself. Being that I am only 1.5 hours away in Norfolk, I am sure he will come in handy.

I believe I will have the opportunity to travel to S. Korea in the next 6 months or so (I am in the Navy) so is there any shopping I can do over there? ANything I can pick-up for other GT Club members? No promises, I have never been there before and I am just seeing what is out there.
Elantrick
I also agree and have put the tibby sway bar in my ride. smile.gif

And I also recommend a short shifter. Look in the DIY section for the Shark short shifter and Shift frame lift. This is the most fun mod I have done. tongue.gif

Wheels and tires are the most expensive mod but give great results in steering response and grip. 676.gif
dcdye
Thanks, i just ordered a short shifter (TWM) and Roadmax xenon lights for lo/hi/fog.

I can't wait to get out of work and drive it again!
Elantrick
Another neat mod is to wire the foglamps independant of the low beams. It's a single wire cut and soldier.

It's in the DIY section.
dcdye
Trick, thanks for the advice. I am already planning that mod, along with a host of others. Too much to do, not enough time.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.