Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '13 GT - almost 2 months and 2500 miles later
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
xjwigluszx
I've had my Elantra GT 8 weeks and almost 2500 miles on it... figure I would post my opinions and plans for my car.

First off, so far I love my car but I do have some issues so far, mostly my own personal issues and nothing really about the car itself. My biggest issue is the stock tires blow. Driving stick, I find it very easy to spin the tires when pulling out of some stops. And not just a quick chirp, but a good squeal. Maybe this is a result of buying the base model with 16" wheels instead of the better model with 17"s and sport tuned suspension. I realize the car is built for fuel economy and I'm sure the tires are no different.

Secondly, this is the first car I've owned in stick shift since 6 speed basically became the standard in most cars. Again I know fuel efficiency is the purpose, but I dislike both first and sixth gear. Feel like first is way too short and sixth is seriously just cruising. Which I could forgive if first wasn't so quick.

Thirdly, instead of buying the BASE model, I wish I would have at least gotten the touch and go package. Unfortunately I was already up sold from getting the Accent 5 door m/t I wanted in the first place. So another $1000 seemed unreasonable at the time. But I already wish I had the pedals, shift knob and 17s even though I didn't like the design, but would have saved me some cash in the long run. Not sure if the "sport tuned suspension" is that great, but would definitely interested in trying.

On the plus side, I do love my car and I definitely enjoy the thrill of driving stick again. The interior is great and I love the sporty look of the seats and the quality look of the dash. I've even become quite happy with the bluetooth that I figured big f'ing deal, I'll never use it. But I do. Also I like the response i get about my car. Definitely enjoying having a car I can be proud of. And when I step on it, I definitely like the pep that this car possesses. It is a fun car to drive and I am quite happy overall so far.

But I also have some great plans for the car as well...
First off in the next week or so I'm going to be tinting the windows. 35% in the front and 20% in the back and rear. Calling today to make the appointment.
I eventually need new tires, I plan on upgrading to possibly 17" or 18" wheels with sportier tires as well as dropping in stiffer lowering springs. But that will be in the future. Sure I'll wind up getting 3 years out of the tires, so we'll see.
In the mean time, I want to start doing some little things that aren't so costly starting with painting the engine cover. Thinking gloss black and silver since I've got a silver car. But I may decide to choose a color to do engine decorating in and compliment that on the cover. Mud guards are definitely on my list as well because I like the appearance if done right. Also want to look into getting the nicer factory pedal and knob I wanted in the first place.
Also a angled muffle tip because for some reason, Hyundai didn't think to make the exhaust cosmetically pleasing.

A little further in the future I want to add the Injen CAI and when someone finally puts out a reasonably priced catback system want to get one. Nut when that time comes, I may just go to a muffler shop and have a custom one put on. Thats the plans for now.
FurunoFan
Nice plans and I bet you will enjoy each of the mods as you do them.
I love my GT and have no regrets. Hope to see you around the forum.
Red Elantra GT
Hey-Another GT owner here. Love the car! First thing I did was have the rear and two small side windows behind the doors tinted.
On my '11 Elantra, I ordered the aluminum pedals from the dealer, & they really dress up the inside of the car. They're worth the cost and aren't too difficult to install. I also put the factory mud guards on that car and my current car. I think they look great and aren't too big to be distracting.
Be careful not to go too big on wheels and tires. There's nothing more annoying than having to "crawl" over dips and driveway entrances.
Hyundai offers a great cargo area cover that goes up the back of the rear seat for times you're carrying large objects. I got that and the cargo net.
Enjoy your new ride!
xjwigluszx
For mud guards I want bigger than factory, but not the giant rally style. I think factory ones are a hint too subtle.

As for the wheels, I'm hoping lowering the tire profile to make the overall diameter equal to factory. And the springs I've seen so far only drop it 1.3" so not too bad
Alex2013GT
I share many of your observations/thoughts and this too is my first manual in a number of years and the first 6 speed I've owned. In any case, I too thought that first gear was really small when I was learning the car. I've had the car now for a little over a year and have just gotten used to it. I've also found some times where I've just started in second instead (normally on a decline where I can get a slight rolling start) to avoid the quick shift. Trust me the stock 17" wheels & tires spin quite easily too. If I am trying to pull out somewhat quick or pull a U turn, the tires almost always spin. A few years ago, I might have done that on purpose to be "cool" but now I just am embarrassed! laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing your opinions and feel free to ask any questions! There are several of us here that took the GT plunge early on and are happy to share anything we may have picked up along the way.
bruce19
QUOTE (xjwigluszx @ Oct 22 2013, 06:45 AM) *
I've had my Elantra GT 8 weeks and almost 2500 miles on it... figure I would post my opinions and plans for my car.

First off, so far I love my car but I do have some issues so far, mostly my own personal issues and nothing really about the car itself. My biggest issue is the stock tires blow. Driving stick, I find it very easy to spin the tires when pulling out of some stops. And not just a quick chirp, but a good squeal. Maybe this is a result of buying the base model with 16" wheels instead of the better model with 17"s and sport tuned suspension. I realize the car is built for fuel economy and I'm sure the tires are no different.

Secondly, this is the first car I've owned in stick shift since 6 speed basically became the standard in most cars. Again I know fuel efficiency is the purpose, but I dislike both first and sixth gear. Feel like first is way too short and sixth is seriously just cruising. Which I could forgive if first wasn't so quick.

Thirdly, instead of buying the BASE model, I wish I would have at least gotten the touch and go package. Unfortunately I was already up sold from getting the Accent 5 door m/t I wanted in the first place. So another $1000 seemed unreasonable at the time. But I already wish I had the pedals, shift knob and 17s even though I didn't like the design, but would have saved me some cash in the long run. Not sure if the "sport tuned suspension" is that great, but would definitely interested in trying.

I bought my '13 GT on August 17th and have 4500 mi. on it. It is also a 6 sp but with the "Touch and Go" pkg. The 17" wheels still break loose just like your 16 inchers. But the keyless entry and start is a great feature. 1st gear kind of sucks but 6th REALLY sucks. And, the overdrive doesn't actually increase mpg on the slab since you have to put the pedal to the floor to go anywhere and that just burns fuel. I get 30 mpg in town and only 32-34 on the highway. Average speed on the highway is about 75 mph. For the money it's a great car since I never expected it to be a Focus ST. What it really needs is about 50 hp and some decent shocks. I recently masked those two chrome struts in the grill with black electrical tape as a mock up and it looks 100% better. Now to find a way to do it permanently.
Alex2013GT
QUOTE (bruce19 @ Oct 29 2013, 05:30 AM) *
I recently masked those two chrome struts in the grill with black electrical tape as a mock up and it looks 100% better. Now to find a way to do it permanently.

Plastidip would work! Then if you get tired of it you can remove it. thumbsup.gif
Red Elantra GT
Hey-My exact thoughts. I've considered doing that also.
litesong
QUOTE (xjwigluszx @ Oct 22 2013, 03:45 AM) *
Driving stick, I find it very easy to spin the tires........I realize the car is built for fuel economy..... Again I know fuel efficiency is the purpose.....when I step on it, I definitely like the pep that this car possesses.

Think you're trying to convince yourself to be happy with mpg, because Elantra doesn't have much torque. But don't convince yourself. Don't force yourself to be thrifty. Just kick back & love taking it easy.

The Elantra engine is "atkinson cycle", meaning the engine was engineered & built to sacrifice power to gain efficiency. To gain that efficiency however, means that you must also drive very efficiently. Elantra will NOT give you good mpg, automatically.

Sorry to say, but if you "mod" your car to get much omph from your "atkinson cycle" engine, you will be disappointed. You will soon realize that the pep you think your car possesses...... it really doesn't have. I used to have a 65HP engine & could spin the front tires. All you're doing is off-loading the front tires...... & the tires spin.
yjolly
QUOTE (litesong @ Oct 31 2013, 10:20 PM) *
The Elantra engine is "atkinson cycle",

That`s not true at all. The 1.8 nu is a conventional engine with VVT. Currently, only hybrids use the atkinson cycle, as well as Mazda`s Skyactiv engines, which use some clever valve timing to come close to an atkinson cycle under some conditions.

Yves
xjwigluszx
Not trying to convince myself to be happy with MPG, I am happy with it. I used to average 21.5mpg in my 99 cougar, now I get 32-33mpg with a mix of highway and city driving. stating that I realize there are aspects that are built as an economical car including the tires that sacrifice grip for fuel economy. I am quite happy with the mix of performance and economy.

Got my window tint finally done last week. Only decided to do 35% all the way around instead for a uniform look. Looks pretty good so far...

Click to view attachment
Red Elantra GT
Hey-the only thing I don't like about tinting the two front door windows is you can't see if the driver sees you if you're walking in a crosswalk in front of the car. I like to make eye contact to acknowledge being seen. I usually just tint the rear window for privacy, less sun fade, etc.
FurunoFan
Way too dark for my taste but I would like to get mine tinted. Maybe before next summer...
What did it cost you? About $250?
Alex2013GT
I like it! I'm actually surprised at how dark 35% is. Is it just the lighting when the pic was taken that makes it seem so dark or is it actually that dark? I would've thought this was 20% tint by the pic. I was considering getting 20% all around, but after looking at this, I may consider 35% now?!
slowgls
I was going to do 35% on the GT.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.