Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatic door locking and unlocking
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Elantra AD/MD/UD > Elantra AD/MD/UD General

View New Posts
Einride
My 2013 Elantra Limited appears to lock all doors when shifting from Park to any other mode. And to unlock all doors when shifting into Park from any other mode. (Or possibly to do this locking and unlocking when passing through Reverse--which is essentially the same.

My 1995 Town and Country, 2008 Elantra, and 2010 VW Eos automatically lock all doors at a vehicle speed from 12mph to 16 mph. None of them automatically unlocks doors.

I have yet to find any mention of this topic in the 2013 Elantra's owner's manual.

Have I stated correctly the way the Elantra is supposed to function, or am I way off base on this?
Alex2013GT
I know the '13 Elantra GT allows you to set the auto lock function among a couple alternatives. You can have it turned off, have it on when you shift from park to a gear, have it on and trigger once you reach 10 (or so) MPH. You also have an option to auto unlock the doors once you shift back to park (or turn the car off for a manual like mine) or not.

I'm not sure if the sedan offers you the same options though or not? Hopefully someone who's played around with it on a sedan can chime in.

Welcome to the club though! happy-wavehello6.gif
TJVJR
I second the welcome . Pretty cool option if you can adjust it .

welcome5.gif eclubrocks.gif
Einride
Tell me how to change options on a '13 GT, and I will tell everyone if it is the same on the sedan.
Alex2013GT
For the GT, you change the options by scrolling through the tripometer menu that shows miles, avg. MPG, miles to empty, etc. One of the options is settings. You go into the settings menu and can change several different items, one of which is the door locks. I don't think the sedan is the same, but I think a dealership can change the settings for you.
Einride
On my car the buttons for the tripometer are on the right-bottom of the steering wheel. Buttons are Trip and Reset. There is no "Settings" option, and even if there were one, the buttons are inadequate to select or choose any options.

I tried the Setup button on the Radio-Nav sestem, but no joy.

Is this something one could edit with a code reader?
Alex2013GT
Now that I think about it more, I am almost positive (unless it was changed for 2013) that the Sedan you need to actually go to your dealership to have it changed. I think you might have the same options as the GT, but you need to hook it up to their software to have it changed. A generic code reader will not allow you to change the settings. Maybe on your next oil change you can have them change it for you! thumbsup.gif

Ohh and as far as the GT, we have the same buttons on our steering wheel, but when you flip between the tripometer screens one of the options is settings. Then when you go into that menu (and its been a little while since I've done this) it tells you what button to press to change something or to flip to the next setting you can change.

Hopefully at some point that same menu is available on the sedan and coupe too.
Red Elantra GT
Hey-Glad this info was posted. I never knew I had options with things like door lock functions, etc. I reset a few of the settings but for the most part they were how I like them.
JaySi09
I think it's a GT feature only where you can adjust settings for door lock mode.

My 2011 does the same thing Einride posted. Car locks out of park and unlock when on park. I think it's a neat feature.

rajesh
My 2013 GLS also locks and unlocks automatically. I like this feature though.
Tammy
I bought my GT about a year ago with 33 miles on it. Awhile ago I figured I better not leave keys in car or it'd lock me out. I kept meaning to ask dealership about it, asked today after I left getting oil change. The lady said no it's not supposed to happen, you should've called us right away the lady @ dealership sàid. She said NO CAR should auto lock as soon as you get out.... LOL thank God for this forum! I hit trip button, saw it said to hold long for settings... It took several times to figure out how to fenagle thru it but, now, I can get out & NOT GET LOCKED OUT, if I leave my keys on the seat! I also have read my manual, I don't remember seeing this.... Thank you so much for letting me know!!
Blupupher
QUOTE (Tammy @ Sep 9 2014, 05:17 PM) *
I bought my GT about a year ago with 33 miles on it. Awhile ago I figured I better not leave keys in car or it'd lock me out. I kept meaning to ask dealership about it, asked today after I left getting oil change. The lady said no it's not supposed to happen, you should've called us right away the lady @ dealership sàid. She said NO CAR should auto lock as soon as you get out.... LOL thank God for this forum! I hit trip button, saw it said to hold long for settings... It took several times to figure out how to fenagle thru it but, now, I can get out & NOT GET LOCKED OUT, if I leave my keys on the seat! I also have read my manual, I don't remember seeing this.... Thank you so much for letting me know!!

Glad you got it figured out, but I have to ask, why are you leaving your keys in the car? confused-scratchhead3.gif
bebu1977
QUOTE (Tammy @ Sep 9 2014, 05:17 PM) *

I just don't understand this. I have the keyless entry...If I leave my key on the seat I am not able to manually lock the car because it senses the key is still inside....So I do not understand the issue with having the car autolock. It is very frustrating, our 2009 Elantra did about 15 seconds after closing the door...I was shocked that when I forgot to lock my brand new Elantra GT it didnt auto lock...All these bells and whistles and it can't autolock if the key is not inside the car???
mlumz
Not all cars autolock. I know some of the higher end vehicles (i.e. mercedes, bmw, lexus, audi, etc) don't all autolock. It's an option when you get the upgraded keyless system. Autolock is just starting to become a feature in a lot of cars.
Red Elantra GT
Hey-I think that if you unlock the car but don't open the door, it will auto lock after about 30 seconds.
a_v
QUOTE (Red Elantra GT @ Dec 19 2014, 06:03 AM) *
Hey-I think that if you unlock the car but don't open the door, it will auto lock after about 30 seconds.

Yes my XD does that.
MalibuJack
The auto lock feature usually triggers when you click unlock on the remote and then don't open the car door. The locks will auto re-lock after about 30-45 seconds.

The auto unlock / lock feature is something that the dealer can set. I am not sure how... in my 2009, the doors would unlock after I pulled the key out of the ignition. This was a feature that had to be turned on by the dealer.

For my 2013, the locks will engage when shifted out of park, and then disengage when the car shifted into park.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.