Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying an 07 GLS with 130k ... advice?
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
07GLSCougarLaw
Hey forum, glad to be here.

I'm buying an 07 GLS with 127k tomorrow in Northern VA, DC area for $5k. It drives nice, plenty of power, and it seemed to be in great condition. It was pouring rain today, and other than not having a clue how to work wipers and defogger at first, I didn't have a reason to feel nervous at 45 mph. It's a manual; it has a pretty long clutch. It felt forgiving to a person not used to driving a manual this new. I'm not the most affluent person, you see.

I wanted to know what special problems I should look for in a car with this many miles, and I knew a forum like this would be a great resource. It's going to a mechanic tomorrow morning before I pull the trigger, but what issues do you know, for which I ought to look out?

Thanks, and hopefully I'll be the owner of an Elantra tomorrow and a member of this forum for years to come.
a_v
Hello and welcome!

For that mileage, it should be fine mechanically as long as its scheduled maintenance has all been done, especially the timing belt changes that need to happen every 60,000 miles
RPW00Mirage
as long as it has had its basic maintenance, you should be fine. it should have had TWO timing belt changes by now... or will need its second.
07GLSCougarLaw
Clean bill of health from a mechanic. Unfortunately, maintenance records ended after 55k miles. So, next purchase will be an OEM kit. There's a video in two parts on YouTube for doing it on an '08. Should I expect about $250 or so in parts? The mechanic wanted over $500 for parts and labor, so I'll probably at least try to do it myself if it's reasonable for a less-than-experienced wrench-wielder.

What's the preferred repair manual? Is there a factory service manual, or another brand people like the best?
J2/RD
QUOTE (07GLSCougarLaw @ Jun 8 2013, 04:56 PM) *
What's the preferred repair manual? Is there a factory service manual, or another brand people like the best?

Hyundai has an online service manual free to everyone. Just go to hmaservice.com. Elantraclub has it's own log in so you don't even have to register. Username: EClub.com Password: hmauser105144. Also, be sure to use Internet Explorer.
The Haynes manual is also pretty good, but it doesn't have as much info as hma.
07GLSCougarLaw
QUOTE (2000J25SP @ Jun 8 2013, 05:24 PM) *
Hyundai has an online service manual free to everyone. Just go to hmaservice.com. Elantraclub has it's own log in so you don't even have to register. Username: EClub.com Password: hmauser105144. Also, be sure to use Internet Explorer.
The Haynes manual is also pretty good, but it doesn't have as much info as hma.

Awesome, thanks!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.