Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Noise
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > J2/XD/HD Generations > Elantra General Discussions

View New Posts
jamhandman
I have 75K miles on the original suspension parts and in the last month the suspension has bee making some noticeable bumping sounds. The sounds are only hear with low speed driving as expected... since most high speed driving is done on flat roads...

MY question is while I hear the sounds and sometimes feel something in the steering wheel, the car can make turns and break so well. Little body roll and little nose dive. So is it really that my shocks and struts need a change or maybe I should look else where... Maybe my end links and sway bars?

As an experiment I had the car parked and shook it, didn't hear anything so still not sure.. I guess just asking for opinions. I know it's hard to diagnose over a forum this kind of issue. Thanks.
RPW00Mirage
get the front or back up on some ramps, get underneath and start grabbing suspension components, examining bushings.
jamhandman
Alright... maybe while I'm down there I'll find something and be happy with myself. smile.gif
TJVJR
Good pry bar may help as well .
jamhandman
Thanks for the suggestion.
roydjt
QUOTE (jamhandman @ May 28 2013, 07:43 AM) *
Alright... maybe while I'm down there I'll find something and be happy with myself. smile.gif

That's what she said?

-Roy
R.C.
QUOTE (jamhandman @ May 28 2013, 08:49 AM) *
I have 75K miles on the original suspension parts and in the last month the suspension has bee making some noticeable bumping sounds. The sounds are only hear with low speed driving as expected... since most high speed driving is done on flat roads...

MY question is while I hear the sounds and sometimes feel something in the steering wheel, the car can make turns and break so well. Little body roll and little nose dive. So is it really that my shocks and struts need a change or maybe I should look else where... Maybe my end links and sway bars?

As an experiment I had the car parked and shook it, didn't hear anything so still not sure.. I guess just asking for opinions. I know it's hard to diagnose over a forum this kind of issue. Thanks.

Here are some of my passed experience with noise coming from underneath my 08 Elantra:

Clunking noise at low speed and steering wheel vibration at high speed - Sway Bar End Link

Metal to Metal slapping noise, like driving over a sewer or man hole cover - Broken Flex hose. And most recently... Worn brake pads and this cause the callipers to move and shift and caused that metal to metal slapping sound. Did a DIY brake job on all four corners and that noise is gone.

Good Luck
jamhandman
I'll check the end links, I had one front end link replaced a few years ago because it was broken. I'll check the front ones again.

Roy, yeah that was funny smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.