Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elantra's Maximum Wheel size
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Ownership > General Performance > Wheels and Tires

View New Posts
tazthedev
On most sites they says maximum wheel size should be 19"...

But on some other site, it says than 20" are allowed on Elantra GL 2012...

Someone's shoes on 19" ?
trololololo
wheel size u mean? tire diameters should stay within 1 cm or u gonna throw off speedo

tires come in sizes "xxx/xx Rxx"

wheels come in sizes "xx x x.x"

19 inch tires would be way too small.

19" wheels should fit, but i think 18"s would be better suited for ride quality looks, and weight...

you dont want rubber bands for tires and bumpsteering over pennies
Bobzilla
to get a 19" tire for an elantra to keep the overall diameter close, you'd have to run a 215/35/19. That leaves you with ~ 2.6" of sidewall to absorb the bumps from the rim,down from the ~4.5" of tire sidewall on the stock 16" tires. You're also going to add a good 15-20lbs PER WHEEL in weight. So acceleration and braking will definately be affected negatively.
Alex2013GT
I think Lou (Louiceman) fit 20's on his Elantra before lowering it. Then maybe went down to 19's? I'll take a look for the topic. In any case if you want your car to sit in a parking lot and be pretty then sure I'd consider throwing 19's or maybe even 20's on it. If you plan on driving the car, then 18's are the way to go. As mentioned with 19+ you have very little sidewall to absorb an impact. That means you hit a small pothole with a 19" or 20" rim and all of a sudden your wheel is bent. You will have much better luck with slightly more tire that the 18" rim would provide you. Plus 18's look great on the Elantra. My GT came with factory 17's and I think they actually look just about right for the car. If I upgraded them I would probably consider 18" wheels, but not anything larger. Anything larger than 18" and the harshness of the ride, fear of bending a rim and added weight just aren't worth it IMO.

Here is one topic I found that I remembered with Lou's response, there are several discussing 19's on the car too.
Louiceman
First set of rims I got 20"x8.5" with 235/30/20 is stick out a little and I can't adjust rear camber!!!!!!
Now I had 18"x7.5 with 225/40/18 is perfect for me.
Well is depend on what plan you want to do on your car.
tazthedev
Ok. thanks you all

QUOTE (Louiceman @ Feb 15 2013, 12:55 PM) *
First set of rims I got 20"x8.5" with 235/30/20 is stick out a little and I can't adjust rear camber!!!!!!

well... i'll go with your specs.
i'll search for real concave wheels

thx
Red Elantra GT
Hey-The last thing you want to do is get wheels/tires that are too big for the car. Having to slow way down for intersection dips, driveways, speed bumps, etc, & worrying about the tires scrapping on the fenders with a few people in the car takes the fun out of driving.

Hope you'll post some pics of what you put on on your car.
djerickd
QUOTE (Louiceman @ Feb 15 2013, 01:55 PM) *

What offsets? (OFFSET IS EVERYTHING!)

Is there NO way to adjust camber in the rear of this car?? I want to do a super agressive setup but with no camber adjustment I'm screwed.. is this true??

Louiceman
QUOTE (djerickd @ Mar 31 2013, 08:25 PM) *
What offsets? (OFFSET IS EVERYTHING!)

Is there NO way to adjust camber in the rear of this car?? I want to do a super agressive setup but with no camber adjustment I'm screwed.. is this true??

40 offset
Only front camber kits available no rear.
You can do slam to ground by air suspension it about $2500-$3500 is that good enough.
djerickd
thank you so much for your reply Iceman, I've been lurking and watching you transform your Elantra into something special! I would love to do air on the Elantra eventually but probably just going with coilovers for now.

I love the way your car sits on the 18's, do you have room for a little bit wider rims? What are your thoughts on 18x8 +40 with 225/40 at your ride height? Could you go 9" perhaps? Maybe 9" in the rear?
Louiceman
QUOTE (djerickd @ Mar 31 2013, 09:08 PM) *
thank you so much for your reply Iceman, I've been lurking and watching you transform your Elantra into something special! I would love to do air on the Elantra eventually but probably just going with coilovers for now.

I love the way your car sits on the 18's, do you have room for a little bit wider rims? What are your thoughts on 18x8 +40 with 225/40 at your ride height? Could you go 9" perhaps? Maybe 9" in the rear?

18x8 need 45+
If jack your car up both front wheels and turn wheel to all the way to one side you will see how much space you got.
Wide wheels good for rear not front and not good for MPG.
djerickd
Well I went +40.. the fronts poke out a little which I can correct with camber, the rear is flush. I did 215/40 tires but will probably switch to 215/35 and slam it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.