Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Tires for Elantra 2004
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Ownership > General Performance > Wheels and Tires

View New Posts
rajesh
Hi All,

What could be best tire from both price and performance perspective.

I'm more on this one,

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tire/category/...F2-F117F7942A2D

comes close to 320 and fitting will be 80 and alignment is another 70

Another options,

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/fuzion/touring/p/tv103000010

260 + 80 + 70 (not with road hazard warranty. Need to buy separately )

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...del=Optimo+H426

350 + 70 ( this is from local dealer who also has 6 months no interest option)

Any other good deals. Please share your opinions and any other tire deals as well
mlumz
It varies on your preference and budget.

I see you are from NJ so you probably want an all season. Here is a list of several tires other members have preferred.

Kumho Ecsta
General Exclaim HPS
any Michelin

I've run Michelin Pilot Exalto and BF Goodrich 960s (current). I personally prefer my Michelin Pilot Exaltos (they grip amazing, ride well, quiet, and have decent snow traction.

The tires I posted are more of the sporty all-seasons. If you want better snow traction you might want some different all-seasons.
FurunoFan
I personally prefer Michelin too. They will be installed after I wear out the OEM tires. Michelin is normally a good price with Sears and they offer a $70 rebate on four tires from time to time. That is when I normally buy my set. I have never had a problem getting my rebate and I totally love the tires.
Alex2013GT
This is one of those topics that you could get 20 responses and 20 different answers. I can't say right now I have a major preference. My history of ownership has been OEM tires for most of the life and then maybe replacing them one time before selling the car (if they were even replaced). Personally, I like to read the reviews on tirerack as well as here in the club reviews section to see what others have to say before buying tires.

For instance, I've heard people say they aren't a fan of Cooper tires. When on my last car (2011 Sonata) I had gotten a set of Cooper tires and they looked great, rode nice, and lasted well. I only got them as I had gotten two flat tires at one time and the OEM tires were pretty darn expensive. Since I was leasing the car, I figured that I might need to get tires before I trade it in anyways, so I just replaced all four with Cooper. I had about 12k miles on the car when I got them and traded it in with about 35k miles. They looked like they would have lasted quite a long tire as there was plenty of tread life left.

I have also used Michelins too and they work well. That being said, we had put Michelins on my wife's van after the OEM tires were worn out at close to 30,000 miles. I sprung the extra for the Michelins thinking they would last OK, and we just had to replace them before winter (after less than 25k miles and 2 years with them on the van). They weren't cheap either. Two were completely worn out and two had some life left in them but the shop disposed the two with life when I was supposed to get them back as "spares." When we bought the van we knew that tires wearing out quick was something we would have to deal with, and we did also haul the big U-haul trailer from PA to SC which I'm sure didn't help with tread life, but I was hoping to get a little more life out of them. Now since Michelin has its headquarters down here in Greenville, I would say go with Michelins too! cool.gif
rajesh
Thanks Guys. im saving up for tires after timing belt change.
rajesh
All,

What will be the best upgrade tires size for 2004 elantra. Upgrade is recommended ? im sure it will have impact on mileage
elantragt
Stock size is 195/60-15.

The typical plus size is 205/55-15.

The question becomes what type of tire are you looking for? An all-season performance tire or a high performance summer tire?

rajesh
All season
elantragt
You can't go wrong with the Kumho Ecsta 4x. I think Kumho is running a $50 rebate on a set of 4.

slowgls
QUOTE (elantragt @ May 12 2013, 02:45 PM) *
You can't go wrong with the Kumho Ecsta 4x. I think Kumho is running a $50 rebate on a set of 4.

I believe they dont make the 4x in the stock size. I got the lx platinum. A step down from the 4x.
elantragt
They definitely have it in the 205/55-15 plus size for sure.
03Ellie
General Altimax HP. Great tire.
mlumz
I loved my Michelin pilot exalto. But they are expensive. I currently have the Bridgestone 960s ans dislike them. But my next tire is gonna be the general altimax or kumho.
elantragt
Another tire that is just starting to get some love is the new Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. These are supposed to have ultra high all season performance with long tire wear and quiet ride.
kevinatfms
195/60R15 Falken Ziex 512's here.

Very quiet, good in the rain and snow. Only gripe is during spirited driving you get some sidewall noise. I don't know if its because I have a full suspension setup or the tire is just noisy at the limit but its not too bad but you can hear it.

so far have lasted me a good 10k miles with no signs of odd or uneven wear patterns. I rotate every 3rd oil change.
rajesh
Got a great deal on Cooper CS 4 stock size. H variant.

377 - 75 (discount tire rebate) - 60 (cooper rebate) + local mech install = 292

including road hazard warranty + valves.

Waiting for delivery
slowgls
Not bad!!! Never had the cs 4. Heard good thing about them. Installed tons of them.
Blupupher
Sounds like you got a great deal. I hear almost nothing but good about Cooper tires.
Thanks for the follow up post and do a review on them when you get them installed.
rajesh
QUOTE (I ♥ Bacon! @ Aug 28 2013, 06:22 PM) *
Sounds like you got a great deal. I hear almost nothing but good about Cooper tires.
Thanks for the follow up post and do a review on them when you get them installed.

Sure i will do it
rajesh
Tires delivered this evening. Need to fit them tomorrow.

I inspected the tires and it looks good. Verified manufactured date as well. All showing 2013 24th week. Got certificate and 4 valves as well.

I will post my review and pictures after installing.

slowgls
The only thing I don't like about them, is they have a soft sidewall.
2000J25SP
Does a soft sidewall really matter when your car has as much body roll as a Ford Explorer? wink.gif

slowgls
QUOTE (2000J25SP @ Sep 3 2013, 07:23 PM) *
Does a soft sidewall really matter when your car has as much body roll as a Ford Explorer? wink.gif

Actually yes!! Better tires with stiffer side walls can make you go fast in the corner. But yea the car needs better suspension. Its was a hell of a fun car though. The starspecs made a world of a differences.
rajesh
Installed tires today. My initial feeling wow...

My steering response improved , ride is comfy and smooth.

Handling is good. Earlier during exit turns i will feel body roll. Now its not there.

I know, my car had creepy unbranded 87 T. Comparatively, it feels really good.

My mech also said its really good deal and good tires.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.