Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2012 Elantra Owner
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
FloydRTurbo
I have had my 2012 Elantra GT (EDIT: actually a GLS) for a little over a year, and have logged about 28K miles, mostly commuting back/forth to work in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

So far, the only "complaint" is that there is no handy place to keep parking meter change.
I keep it in the little hole on the armrest, but it's tough to get it back out.

I have searched for a couple of issues and cannot find answers.
Forgive me if I've missed these.

1) I will probably need to get new tires before winter.
I have 16 inch wheels.
I am leaning toward these: http://tinyurl.com/GoodyearAssuranceFuelMax
Has anyone found a good tire for their Elantra.
I am more interested in quiet, comfort, and mileage than about "sporty" feel.

2) I am thinking about plunging into the "Smartphone" era.
a. Does a smartphone double as an iPod? If I get an iPhone, can I use it to listen to podcasts, books on "tape," etc?
b. How do other phones, such as Androids, work? I have heard good things about the Samsung Galaxy, for example.

Thanks to everyone!
elantraVT
sure its a GT? And not a Touring? GT just came out a few weeks ago and its a 2013.

iPhone would double as a iPod, and the new iPhone 5 is being announced on sept 12...so if you want apple, i would wait a few weeks.

I am as bi an apple fan as there is out there, but when it comes to phones, i just can't break away from android...i just love them, so depending on your carrier..either the S3 or the HTC One would be great phones, i have the HTC rezound and love it...and it pairs nicely with my GT. I have heard some people have issues with the iPhone, and if you need a cable, the iphone takes up your USB slot so thats another reason to look at android. But not knowing exactly what car you own, those details are TBD.
benman
Welcome! I'm in Pittsburgh as well -- live near Monroeville/Murrysville and work in Oakland.

Like ElantraVT says, if you've had it a year, it's not a "GT." Do you have a pic.

I love my iPhone 4S with Siri -- works very nicely with the stock radio. Yes, you'd be able to either stream music/books over Bluetooth or use the Aux jack to play.

Regarding the launch of the iPhone 5, it's rumored to have a smaller connector with fewer pins, so I'm not sure how well it would work with the USB port. I bought an aftermarket connector that has the USB/mini-jack set up like the Hyundai OEM connector and it did not work, so I wouldn't assume it would work right out of the box until someone actually tries it. The iPhone 4 and 4S work great though.

With Siri, I can just push the home button on the phone and say "Play songs by Johnny Cash" or "Send a text message to my wife" and my commands are received by the car microphone and the sound is sent to the radio.
Red Elantra GT
Hey-They have a GLS according to the their profile.
FloydRTurbo
Thanks RedElantra for clearing that up and to everyone for your advice.

Well, you can tell that I'm no motor head.
I don't know a GT from a GLS. (I knew it had a G in it, anyhow!)

Benman, I commute from Greensburg to Wexford.

ElantraVT, If I understand, I can use android and pair it up (not just use bluetooth)?
What I really want is to be able to easily listen to podcasts, books, etc.
It may have improved, but I remember a few years back my brother had a signal connection with his IPod and the audio was scratchy and unreliable.
That's why I want the hard wire connection.
It seems that I read back when I first got the car that it only paired up (hard wire) with iProducts.

I hear mention of "usb" a lot.
Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that I can copy a podcast, for example, to a thumb drive and not even have to worry about a smartphone, iPod, etc?
Kate31
Welcome to EC..I'm around the Wexford area a lot! I use my iPhone all the time with the car and have never had a problem with it
FloydRTurbo
QUOTE (Kate31 @ Aug 19 2012, 07:05 PM) *
Welcome to EC..I'm around the Wexford area a lot! I use my iPhone all the time with the car and have never had a problem with it

Thanks Kate!
Do you use it for playing downloaded/recorded programming?
I've never even used an iPod, so I'm a novice.

Kate31
Unfortunately I only use mine for music/bluetooth and it's on rare occasions I use it for that because I listen to the XM radio.

If my thinking is correct, I would assume listening to other options such as books/podcasts are possible because it would be connected through the same port as trying to listen to music. If I actually paid attention to the ports I could answer as to whether or not you could use something like a USB stick for other materials.

Shows how much I actually know about my car.... sad.gif haha
Tony T
You should be able to copy MP3's or WMA's (as long as they are not protected files) to a standard USB flash drive and plug it in to the USB port and play directly from there. You don't need an iPod or phone. I copied thousands of MP3's onto a flash drive and it works fine in my 2013 Elantra
FloydRTurbo
QUOTE (Tony T @ Aug 21 2012, 07:30 PM) *
You should be able to copy MP3's or WMA's (as long as they are not protected files) to a standard USB flash drive and plug it in to the USB port and play directly from there. You don't need an iPod or phone. I copied thousands of MP3's onto a flash drive and it works fine in my 2013 Elantra

Thank you Tony T!
Now, I have to get one of those.
Are there any special specs that I need to be aware of when picking one out?
(I have used them before but only for simple word processing docs and spreadsheet files.)
bhorste
The same one you use for those files will work just fine with mp3 files. Oh, and welcome to the Club!
Tony T
yeah, like bhorste said any flash drive will work. Usually the more space they hold, the more expensive they are. Just because one is more expensive than another does not mean its better. Some will come with software or other "features" but for your needs, you don't want any of that. If you want to order one online newegg.com is a good site with good prices. Walmart, Best Buy, or any store that sells computer related products will have them.
FloydRTurbo
Thanks, I picked up a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16 GB at Radio Shack.
I will give it a try later tonight.

I got a couple of files from this site:
Sounds of Baseball.
Sounds of the Game

FloydRTurbo
I tested this out and it worked great!
I can't believe how easy it is.
Now I am on a quest for free & downloadable mp3 & wav downloads on the Internet.
This will make my 3hrs/day in the Elantra a little nicer, for sure.

Thanks to everyone!
benman
If you have CDs you can use Windows Media Player to convert songs to mp3s and, I think, even put them on the memory stick with data about song, artist, etc.
FloydRTurbo
QUOTE (benman @ Aug 24 2012, 04:56 PM) *
If you have CDs you can use Windows Media Player to convert songs to mp3s and, I think, even put them on the memory stick with data about song, artist, etc.

Thanks,
I may try this with some of my books on CD. (I'm not much of a music aficionado).

If anyone has any sites that they want to share with free mp3's of lectures, stories, documentaries, etc., I would be grateful.

FloydRTurbo
One thing that I forgot to report.
If you use the USB, take note of how long it is.
The one that I have is too long for me to be able to shut the door on the console.
Not a huge deal, but I'd rather close it.
If i get crazy, I could probably grind it down to size as about 1/4" appears to be just plain plastic for the keyring.
Tony T
if you want free (and legal) audio books check out
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Th...o_Books_Project

The books are all out of copyright so most are old but if you like the classics (Tom Sawyer, Moby Dick etc.) you will find them there.
Of course there are many Torrent sites but the legality can be questionable.
FloydRTurbo
QUOTE (Tony T @ Aug 24 2012, 08:26 PM) *
if you want free (and legal) audio books check out
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Th...o_Books_Project

The books are all out of copyright so most are old but if you like the classics (Tom Sawyer, Moby Dick etc.) you will find them there.
Of course there are many Torrent sites but the legality can be questionable.

Cool. Thanks!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.