Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another new member AND Hyundai owner
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Community Center > The Welcome Zone

View New Posts
ABGT
Hello Everyone,

My name is Chad, I'm 31 and from Willis, TX. I work for GE and am happily married with a beautiful 4 month old daughter. This is my first time on this site, as well as being the first time I've bought a Hyundai. My wife owns a 2005 Tucson and we have had zero problems with it aside from normal wear and tear (over 100k miles and it has literally been all over the U.S., one battery replacement after 7 years and still on factory brake pads/rotors...tires are a different story altogether).

I am here because I recently purchased a 2013 Elantra GT after being unsuccessful with my first choice of the Veloster. Having a 4 month old child, my wife and I have deemed it necessary to have her in the center while rear-facing. Lacking a center rear seat voided any ambitions of getting the Veloster, as well as other similar vehicles like - Volvo C30, Mini Cooper, etc. So I was looking at the new Accent hatch before seeing this new Elantra hatch coming out. Needless to say I went with the Elantra.

I went with Hyundai's balloon financing, because I am unsure if I want to keep the Elantra GT or end up in a Veloster after our child becomes able to be forward-facing and in the side rear seats. However, I am really starting to like this car. While being my first Hyundai, this is also the first vehicle I have decided to try and follow the break-in requirements.

This is Atlantic Blue with the Style package. I LOVE the panoramic roof, and the aluminum pedals are pretty nice. The 3-flash turn signal is a nice little feature I have always lacked (funny that the first vehicle I get with this feature is a Hyundai). I wanted the nav and rear camera, but didn't want to spend that much more. Also wish I could've got the beige leather interior (wanted cloth in the first place but leather came with the roof) because Texas - gets - hot.

Here are the only pictures I have so far of the car (I know I need to take more):

Modifications planned:
- tint windows
- covercraft windshield sunshade (I think the sedan's will fit?)
- plastidip ALL chrome
- weathertech digital fit mats (I really want to swear these guys off because they won't make the digital fit mats for my other car, but I really like their stuff)
- LED bulbs throughout

Anyway, happy to be a proud new member to Hyundai and glad to be here! ::Cheers::

Red Elantra GT
Hey-congratulations on your new GT. I've had mine just over a month. I really like it a lot.
ABGT
Thanks! Yeah this car is growing on me...So it seems there is now a red, white, and blue GT here.
Red Elantra GT
Hey-There's also a black GT in the club. It's a great design!
silvergls
Welcome!
Nice car and the blue looks good!
LeMeez
Glad to see another GT owner on the forum. We all need to put requests in to Weathertech to get the mats manufactured. I heard 5 months, but winter will be here in 4 and I'll need them by then. I'm loving mine so far, similar ideas as you. I'm thinking of getting the i30 LED fog lights, who is going to be first to try them?
ABGT
Thanks for the welcome guys!

LeMeez - I would love a full i30 LED treatment but I am leary about doing anything requiring wiring like that until I for sure decide to keep mine. I want the Luxon strut bar as well, but it appears the wiper cowl requires cutting.

About the Weathertech mats - good luck. I want them, but after the fiasco with them and my other car I have little faith in them. So many owners on the forum had put in [multiple] requests for digital fit mats, with owners living close to the facility even volunteering to provide their vehicle for fitment - still nothing 4 years later. When I questioned why they have digital fit mats for a Ferrari 599, I was told it's because the owner of Weathertech has that car. Again, I hate them for those reasons but I like their mats so much so I'm torn.
Nymeria
Welcome! (And congrats on your new daughter!) Awesome car -- can't wait to see how it progresses. I love the GT's panoramic roof (a shame they force you to get the leather interior, I can see how that would be uncomfortable in the summer).

I don't know if a CoverCraft sunshade for the sedan will fit; never heard of them before now, but they look really nice. I know HeatShield makes a sunshade for the Touring, not sure how that would fit the GT though.

I love my Weathertech mats (posted a couple of photos here), but I hate Weathertech. I ordered some window deflectors in May, and they've delayed/dodged ever since. They did finally charge my credit card this week, so who knows, maybe I'll actually get the deflectors this year. I find it really cheesy that they advertise products as available when they know full well they've got production delays -- yeah, they cover their butts in the small print, but it seems dishonest and unusual (every other site I shop at is up-front about shipping delays). So, I'm torn, too. smile.gif
elantraVT
QUOTE (Nymeria @ Aug 11 2012, 11:06 AM) *
Welcome! (And congrats on your new daughter!) Awesome car -- can't wait to see how it progresses. I love the GT's panoramic roof (a shame they force you to get the leather interior, I can see how that would be uncomfortable in the summer).

I have had my sunroof visor open in +90 degree weather for hours at a time...and the leather is not hot at all...but the steering wheel it brutally hot. ohmy.gif
Alex2013GT
Welcome to the club Chad! The car looks great and I'm sure you're little girl will enjoy riding in the middle knowing she's as safe as possible. The hatch will be great for all the gear you gotta lug around with a baby too. cool.gif
rstnick
Welcome Chad.
Nice GT.
Wanted one but ended up with a plain looking Elantra Touring.
elantraGT5Speed

Welcome Chad! Beautiful GT, nice color. I have had mine for 2 yrs without any issues aside from wear and tear, even though I bought it used.

I have the same love-hate relationship with Weathertech. I bought their laser-cuts for my old Blazer Zr2 and instantly fell in love. I was flabbergasted that they did not offer them for the Elantra.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.