Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: automatic transmission 2012
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
killian
When and why would I us the + or - on my automatic transmission Thanks for any help Mike
elantragt
That basically is the "manumatic" mode. You can control the gears (to an extent) yourself.

"-" downshifts into a lower gear and "+" upshifts into a higher gear.

If you're getting close to the redline the car will automatically upshift and it won't let you lug the engine in too high a gear either.

In my case I've driven manual transmissions all my life. Since my wife and I share our current car and she can't drive manual, I use the manual mode all the time with our automatic. I like the extra control it gives. The only time I use the regular automatic is if I'm stuck in reaaly slow stop and go traffic.
dirtydave
QUOTE (killian @ Feb 11 2012, 09:14 AM) *
When and why would I us the + or - on my automatic transmission Thanks for any help Mike

I've used it most recently in the snow, gives a little better traction when you start in 2 than 1, also I use it when travelling on the highway, I throw it over to manual mode and keep in in 6 in order to prevent fuel mileage loss due to hills. It's not for everyone, you may never use it, it is only there because there are some people who like to have the ability to shift themselves.
killian
QUOTE (elantragt @ Feb 11 2012, 10:32 AM) *
That basically is the "manumatic" mode. You can control the gears (to an extent) yourself.

"-" downshifts into a lower gear and "+" upshifts into a higher gear.

If you're getting close to the redline the car will automatically upshift and it won't let you lug the engine in too high a gear either.

In my case I've driven manual transmissions all my life. Since my wife and I share our current car and she can't drive manual, I use the manual mode all the time with our automatic. I like the extra control it gives. The only time I use the regular automatic is if I'm stuck in reaaly slow stop and go traffic.

Thanks

QUOTE (dirtydave @ Feb 11 2012, 10:37 AM) *
I've used it most recently in the snow, gives a little better traction when you start in 2 than 1, also I use it when travelling on the highway, I throw it over to manual mode and keep in in 6 in order to prevent fuel mileage loss due to hills. It's not for everyone, you may never use it, it is only there because there are some people who like to have the ability to shift themselves.

Dave what do you mean by keep in a 6?
elantragt
He's saying top gear or "6th". It will show "6" on the dash.
Ferg48
I sometimes flip it over and downshift a gear or 2 while going down a long hill, especially if the goof in front of me is riding his/her brakes, because i hate riding my brakes. I haven't had Elantra in snow yet, but I'll probably use it for that too.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.