Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the Site (Looking to Buy Used 2010 GLS)
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
kdeinv
Hello,

I am looking to buy a used 2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (Hyundai Certified) from a Hyundai Dealer in the area. They have several to choose from and wanted to know what I should be looking for as problem areas with this year and model.

I understand I get the original warranty since they are Hyundai Certified cars. The car fax reports on these vehicles show that they were rentals before the dealer obtained them. Is there a problems with that? They all have between 20K and 35K on them.

Should I get a preinspection by an independent mechanic even with them being "certified" and under warranty?

Also I know the 2010 models with mfg dates after Dec 2009 have better side impact protection. One thing I did notice was that some of the vehicles steel wheels were scuffed meaning someone tried to get off rust and did not paint them. Have you heard of this issue and what should Hyundai do to correct this?

Any other info on this year and model would be appreciated

Thanks In Advance
hyundave
QUOTE (kdeinv @ Feb 9 2012, 06:28 PM) *
Hello,

I am looking to buy a used 2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (Hyundai Certified) from a Hyundai Dealer in the area. They have several to choose from and wanted to know what I should be looking for as problem areas with this year and model.

I understand I get the original warranty since they are Hyundai Certified cars. The car fax reports on these vehicles show that they were rentals before the dealer obtained them. Is there a problems with that? They all have between 20K and 35K on them.

Should I get a preinspection by an independent mechanic even with them being "certified" and under warranty?

Also I know the 2010 models with mfg dates after Dec 2009 have better side impact protection. One thing I did notice was that some of the vehicles steel wheels were scuffed meaning someone tried to get off rust and did not paint them. Have you heard of this issue and what should Hyundai do to correct this?

Any other info on this year and model would be appreciated

Thanks In Advance

As an HD driver, I love this car. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a nice daily driver.

As for preinspection, I was always raised to get it looked at by an outside source before purchase... even when certified. You want to know of any potential headaches you may run into, even if you don't feel it in your wallet.

As for the wheels, are you sure the scuffing wasn't just some curb rash? A little grinding of the sidewalk? My car has over 70k miles and I haven't noticed any hint of rusting.

Oh... And welcome! I hope you decide to stick with an elantra and find a friendly time here at elantraclub!
kdeinv
Thanks, I am looking at this car for my 17 year old daughter (1st car). I wanted one that was safe and had antilock brakes. The only thing the GLS does not have is esc electronic stability control.

As far as the wheels, my father noticed the scuffing of the steel wheels behind the plastic hubcaps and the vechicle only had 20K or so miles. Like the car may have been in water.

However, some people on the net have pictures of their steel wheels rusted at this low mileage.

How is the auto transmission and what the frequency in changing the timing belt.

Thanks
Vinnie
I agree with hyundave goodpost.gif I love my hd. It's got it faults... that being the stupid ass body lines and lack of engine performance mods and ECU swap BUT i do love my car and everything about it. Check out our gallerys and our signatures. The car is just hotness.

Welcome to the club and stick around!!

QUOTE (kdeinv @ Feb 9 2012, 08:19 PM) *
Thanks, I am looking at this car for my 17 year old daughter (1st car). I wanted one that was safe and had antilock brakes. The only thing the GLS does not have is esc electronic stability control.

As far as the wheels, my father noticed the scuffing of the steel wheels behind the plastic hubcaps and the vechicle only had 20K or so miles. Like the car may have been in water.

However, some people on the net have pictures of their steel wheels rusted at this low mileage.

How is the auto transmission and what the frequency in changing the timing belt.

Thanks

Auto transmission is pretty good. I've towed a shit load of weight with my car. Well above recommended weight... (shhh don't tell) unsafe I know but it worked. As far as the timing belt... every 60K but if you live in snow areas, where there's salt, drive highway it's considered "severe maintenance".

30K for coolant
30K for transmission fluid
60K for timing-belt (120K for water pump)
hyundave
Agreed with Vinnie. Timing belt at 60k. (I'm at 70k and still haven't done it... haha kinda a hard project to muster up the money on an 18 year olds budget...)

And kdeinv - good choice for a 17 year old girl's first car. As stated above, I'm only a year older than her hah. It's a great first car for me. Since I pay for gas and repairs and any mods, I needed a car that was reliable, safe, and good mpg. A year later and this baby has treated me very well.

In my auto, I find it a comfortable drive. I find that (and this could very well be only my car) the first gear takes a little longer to shift out of though.

Either way, I'm sure you'll love it
kdeinv
Thanks for the responses. Now I just got to get them to the price point I want.

They want 12K plus tax title. I am going to lowball it at 10K out the door and see what they come back with.

I have also looked at the 2010 KIA Forte which does have ESC same engine and 4 speed auto which I can get about this price as well. (Any difference between these 2 cars as far as the main functionality) engine and transmission?

Thanks
elantragt
The Forte is definitely not the same engine. The Forte's 2.0 is a version of the "world engine" known as the "Theta". It has about 18 more HP than the Elantra. It's a very good car overall. Another plus is that the Forte uses a timing chain, not a belt. I actually own a Forte SX w/ the 2.4 engine and 5 speed auto.

Overall reliability, resale and build quality may be a bit better with the Hyundai. You really can't go wrong with either car.
texasjack
Buy a new one, the 2010 body is a dead style and the resale is like a Yugo.

The new body will have much greater value from now on.

If you are going to finance it, you can get a new one for $169 a month.

Dealers in TEXAS are discounting Elantras $1250 off sticker.

Rust on the wheels is caused from living in the wrong place.

A used rent car is like a very used woman, rode hard and put up wet.

With the factory warranty you would waste time and money taking it to some Jake Leg "mechanic", under warranty it is covered.

I have owned 8 Hyundai cars and have NEVER had one in the shop for anything, they are bullet proof.

TEXASjack
NevynPA
QUOTE (texasjack @ Feb 14 2012, 09:47 PM) *
Buy a new one, the 2010 body is a dead style...

Sure, it's a dead style, but that doesn't make it instantly hated by the entire planet.

and the resale is like a Yugo.

No offense, but it wasn't that way last time I checked!

The new body will have much greater value from now on.

If you are going to finance it, you can get a new one for $169 a month.

Dealers in TEXAS are discounting Elantras $1250 off sticker.

Rust on the wheels is caused from living in the wrong place.

A used rent car is like a very used woman, rode hard and put up wet.

With the factory warranty you would waste time and money taking it to some Jake Leg "mechanic", under warranty it is covered.

I have owned 8 Hyundai cars and have NEVER had one in the shop for anything, they are bullet proof.

TEXASjack

Hyundais ARE good vehicles. Which is why there should be no problem buying a 2010 in good shape. I've got friends that bought an off-rental Ford Focus - bought a 2008 in 2011. 28k miles on it, and they said it still even had "new car smell" because of how gently it was handled.
benman
Thanks for sharing your opinions TexasJack--I'm not sure what the value is in summarily panning non-dealer employed mechanics, but, whatever.

Speaking from one of the wrong places to live...

Although the body isn't as "exciting" as the new ones, there are some nice looking HDs here -- see vinnie's and Hyundave's. I'm assuming that buying this for your daughter, you're looking for reliability and warranty at a good price, and it sounds like what you've found would be a better fit than the suggestion to just buy a new one for $5000 more because of body style. Resale value is only part of the equation -- it's a car, not a mutual fund. If she takes care of it and she's thrifty, she'll drive this until resale value isn't a factor anyway.

I'd use the wheel rust as a bargaining point, but I wouldn't think it's a big deal. If you care about how it looks, just sand them and hit them with about $10 of paint later (assuming there will be wheel covers in front of them anyway).
06black
QUOTE (texasjack @ Feb 14 2012, 09:47 PM) *
Buy a new one, the 2010 body is a dead style and the resale is like a Yugo.

TEXASjack

I just traded in my 2006 for a 2010. I couldn't afford the new car and got a good deal on the HD.

How are you saying the resale is like a Yugo? you have facts to back that up?
Vinnie
I agree with the guys above. The HD is decent. The body is fine at least to me and I love my car.

Texasjack, Hell... if you recommend getting the newer style you'd be saying that each time a new body style came out.

Rust is not caused by "living in the wrong place" - rust is oxidization caused by moisture.

It rains everywhere.

Sounds like there's steelies on it and that happens. Wire brush and a hit of etching primer and some plack paint - good to go.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.