Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the Club
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
Pudgger
Hey everyone,

I own a 2004 Elantra GT 5spd sedan in Sterling Silver. I bought it about a month ago and I am enjoying learning about what can be done to these cars. I do have two questions. First, is there a company out there that makes an aftermarket projector head light? I installed a set of 55 watt 5000k HIDs and a set of projectors would really make them shine well. Second, how hard is to swap out the 4 lug to a 5 lug? It is hard to find rims to fit our offset and I do feel more comfortable with a 5 lug hub.

That is all for now. I look forward to hearing your input.

Jake
sed
5 lug conversion can be done, but you are looking at 200 - 300 in junkyard parts or over 1200 in dealer parts. there Is no direct swap kit from what I know of.

Aftermarket headlights don't exist for the xd/xd2 you are either making your own or dealing with the HIDs you have.

Over 600 wheels available for your car

https://www.google.com/search?q=4x100+42mm+...360&bih=549

benman
Welcome to the club! Looking forward to see what you do with your car.
The Gegenator
Here's an idea that someone from the club passed along to me for HID conversion...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Xenon-Projector...=item27be604090
ronjr8102
Welcome to EC. The 5 lug conversion has been done by a few members. They will chime in and tell you what's involved. I think its spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers and brackets. It's a lot.
Silentwolf
For the 5lug, Take a look at my garage and you'll see. It will be at least $700 for all the parts.

Projectors are another DIY item. I simply made glareshields for my HIDs at this time.
benman
If it's that you trust 5 lugs more than 4, keep in mind that the studs bear no vertical weight -- they simply hold the wheel tight to the hub and the friction between the them that bears the weight.
slowgls
QUOTE (Silentwolf @ Jan 9 2012, 08:40 AM) *
I simply made glareshields for my HIDs at this time.

Thats what i did to. It makes a big difference.
streetfighterguy
Also go to the DIY section of this site and you can find a bunch of fun little projects to do with your car as well.

Oh and update your location cause you never know you might be close to one of the other members on this site and that can be advantagous for some things.
Silentwolf
QUOTE (benman @ Jan 9 2012, 10:10 AM) *
If it's that you trust 5 lugs more than 4, keep in mind that the studs bear no vertical weight -- they simply hold the wheel tight to the hub and the friction between the them that bears the weight.

Though i feel that the 5 lug pattern provides better clamping distribution for the brake disc than the 4 lug. Part of my reason for doing the swap. In addition to getting the larger rotor.
Pudgger
QUOTE (Silentwolf @ Jan 9 2012, 08:40 AM) *
I simply made glareshields for my HIDs at this time.

What does this mean? Is there a DIY for this?

Jake
sed

NevynPA
If you are after larger rotors, you can get 4-lug ones from a Sonata and they'll work - I believe it requires a caliper change as well.

As far as HID projectors, the only real workable solution I've seen is to split the housings open by heating them to soften the glue and replacing the low beam lens with a projector from an Acura TSX.
Silentwolf
QUOTE (NevynPA @ Jan 10 2012, 01:00 PM) *
If you are after larger rotors, you can get 4-lug ones from a Sonata and they'll work - I believe it requires a caliper change as well.

As far as HID projectors, the only real workable solution I've seen is to split the housings open by heating them to soften the glue and replacing the low beam lens with a projector from an Acura TSX.

Bob had to change his sonata rotors out once already due to warping. Not as quickly as the reg Elantra rotors though.
Pudgger
I don't get how they work. do you have more detailed pics?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.