Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2010 Elantra Fuel Economy
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
HTB
Hello-- brand new here.

I just bought a used 2010 Elantra GLS from a dealer. It has 40K km (~25K miles) on it.

I like the car. A main motivation in buying an Elantra was the fuel economy.

I've done some initial monitoring, and am pretty disappointed to find that I am only getting 10L/100km (23.5 mpg) in mainly highway driving.

Is this unusual? Could anything be done to get this closer to the advertized range?

Thanks for your help.

Bobzilla
hOw are youfiguring your fuel economy?
HTB
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Dec 8 2011, 08:31 AM) *
hOw are youfiguring your fuel economy?

Good question!

I think it is a 53L tank, and from totally full it went ~510 kms according to the trip timer (although I obviously didn't drain it completely before fillup)

New to calculating this also.

NevynPA
Also:

• How fast were you going?
  • When was the last alignment?
  • What condition and type are the tires?
  • Do you have a lot of extra weight in the car?
  • What temperature is your area experiencing?
  • Is the engine fairly well tuned up? (plugs/wires decent, bottle of fuel injector through the tank, air filter)
  • Do all wheels spin freely (no brakes dragging excessively/at all)?
  • Are you using HVAC a lot?
  • What kind of terrain do you drive on? (all flat, small rolling hills, mountains, etc)

There's a lot more to it than just "I bought it for good fuel economy, and mine is bad." If you can answer some/all of the above questions, we could provide more definite pointers for where you should look next.
HTB
Thanks for your help! Here is some more context:

QUOTE (NevynPA @ Dec 8 2011, 11:48 AM) *
Also:

• How fast were you going?

I was trying to keep that '10 Elantra "ECO" light on at all times. For highway, between 90-110km/hr (55-68 mph). There were a few pockets of stop & go traffic on the tank I tracked, but mainly smooth sailing. It was mainly highway for the tank I tracked.

• When was the last alignment?

I just bought it from the dealership last week, so alignment was just done.

• What condition and type are the tires?

Tires are the original to the vehicle. Some wear after 40K kms, but passed the safety check by the mechanic.

• Do you have a lot of extra weight in the car?

Not on this tank.

• What temperature is your area experiencing?

This tank was anywhere between 4-15 degrees celcius (39 to 59 fahrenheit)

• Is the engine fairly well tuned up? (plugs/wires decent, bottle of fuel injector through the tank, air filter)

It was all supposedly checked by the dealership.

• Do all wheels spin freely (no brakes dragging excessively/at all)?

Yes.

• Are you using HVAC a lot?

No.

• What kind of terrain do you drive on? (all flat, small rolling hills, mountains, etc)

all flat, highway on this tank.

There's a lot more to it than just "I bought it for good fuel economy, and mine is bad." If you can answer some/all of the above questions, we could provide more definite pointers for where you should look next.

THANKS!
yjolly
QUOTE (HTB @ Dec 8 2011, 11:39 AM) *
Good question!

I think it is a 53L tank, and from totally full it went ~510 kms according to the trip timer (although I obviously didn't drain it completely before fillup)

New to calculating this also.

There's your problem. There's no way you completely emptied the tank. How much gas did you put in? That's the number you need.

Fill up. Drive X km. Fill up again with Y litres. Fuel comsumption = 100*Y/X

Also, do you do a lot of short (less than 20km) trips ? Those are killer on fuel economy, especially in colder weather.

Yves
Bobzilla
sOMETHING Told me that was the problem. Another math issue and not a vehicle issue. Always use the miles(kilometers) driven divided by gallons(liters) used. Miles drive is the easy part, reset trip at fill up, drive. Then you fill up when the tank is getting low, divide that distance by the amount of fuel you put back into it.
NevynPA
That's helpful. I'm not seeing whether it's an automatic or a stick, but that shouldn't matter too much.

On level ground, at 100 km/h, you should be getting in the neighborhood of 32 to 36 MPG - about 6.4 L/100km. I'd give it another 3 tanks before really worrying about the number - the first tank is always, ALWAYS off. Whether it's old gas, mixed gas, bad gas, summer gas vs. winter gas, not as full as the dealer says it is, etc.

Fill car to full. Reset trip odometer.

Drive until your preferred fill point (half tank remaining, 1/4 remaining, low fuel light on, etc).

Fill car to SAME LEVEL as the first fill. This is easiest done if you re-use the same gas station and same pump if at all possible. This helps eliminate differences between stations/pumps. Some folks fill to first click, some to second - whatever you prefer is fine; just ALWAYS fill to that same point.

Write down liters of gas you pumped. (Example: 42.3 L)

Look at trip odometer. Write down the kms driven (Example: 624 km)

Take the liters of gas pumped and divide by the kilometers driven. (Example: 42.3 / 624 = 0.06778)

Multiply by 100 to get L/100km (Example: 0.06778 * 100 = 6.778 L/100km)

Leastaways, that's how you Northerners do it. tongue.gif

Let us know how the second tank comes out! I'd still say to run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through with a tank of gas just for the heck of it.
HTB
Ok thanks, everyone. I'll give it a try and report back in a few weeks.
Brian D
I've actually gotten as high as 39 on the highway if the wind is in my favor. The Elantra is a great car, but i think it gets overshadowed by the Sonata.
Tireman9
My 2010 AT Elantra Touring has 17k. I get 29 overall in Winter and 30 in Summer. On Highway trips in Summer I have seen 33.

What tires do you have? What inflation are you running ?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.