Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front windshield defroster
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
Danny
2011 elantra gls. on rainy damp days windshield fogs up very quickly. run a/c it will clear. winter is coming any other suggestions? thanks
mtlelantra
The AC clears it- you've already found your solution. That's what the AC is for. Dehumidifies the air.
The Gegenator
Yeah but I don't think he wants to run his AC in the midst of winter lol.

Your defroster will take care of it pretty quickly- happens to all cars!
Popkorn
I don't know what the dealer used to detail the car, but they left a hazey film on all the windows. They fogged up instantly.
It was real noticeable at night. Add rain + dark + interstate and it was extremely annoying. Ended up at a rest area, took my t shirt off and started buffing the glass. All better now.
Millstone
QUOTE (therockf150 @ Nov 19 2011, 11:14 PM) *
Yeah but I don't think he wants to run his AC in the midst of winter lol.

Your defroster will take care of it pretty quickly- happens to all cars!

You do know the defrost modes run the A/C right?
silvergls
I clean my windows regularily with Invisible Glass. It's known that automotive plastics gives off gases which adds or creates fog on glass surfaces.
benman
I can sympathize with the OP. I have a 2011 GLS and I've never had a car fog up like it does. Sure, just about any car will have fog on the inside on a damp day, but one day last week, very large drops of condensation had built up overnight just above the vents--I have never seen that happen with any car. When I get in on these autumn days (car parked outside) the windows actually fog as soon as I turn the car on. One positive is that this car's defroster works better than the defroster in any other car I've owned, so 30 seconds later, it's fine.

I wish there were some better advice than "that's what the defroster is for," but that's the best I've found.
NevynPA
Benman - what position was the HVAC diverter set to when this happened? does it happen no matter if it's set to defrost or floor?
benman
QUOTE (NevynPA @ Nov 21 2011, 07:13 AM) *
Benman - what position was the HVAC diverter set to when this happened? does it happen no matter if it's set to defrost or floor?

That, sir, is a great question. My answer: "uhhhh, dunno."

So, perhaps I'll try some tests this week, leaving it open to different positions over night.
NevynPA
Make sure you set it with the car still on, so that the blend door is still powered and moves to the appropriate position. smile.gif I know that I set mine deliberately to defrost when I plug in my engine block heater in order to get some 'passive heat flow' to the inside of the car/windshield.
Popkorn
This stuff works pretty good
Red Elantra GT
Hey-the windows will fog up pretty fast if you're running the hvac on recirculation mode, & it's damp or raining.
jamhandman
I believe you can change the HVAC controls to NOT turn on the A/C when you turn to the windshield mode. This will allow you to use heat in the winter and manually turn on the A/C in the summer. The manual on the HD shows how do to this, but if you remove the battery it will go back to the default mode.

Does this help?

I'll write up the steps if you can't find them.
Red Elantra GT
Hey-it may not be possible, with the UD/MD model, to turn off the a/c compressor in defrost mode. In the past, I've found that if the windows start to fog, I turn on the a/c for a moment and then turn it off, always using the non recirculation mode. Here in the desert, it's a rare rainstorm that would cause the windows to fog.
NevynPA
You can't turn off the AC compressor with defrost here in the US - its some sort of regulation that it has to be on. The Canuckistanis can, but not us. Only way is to reach down and unplug the compressor - that's what I do.
benman
I didn't do any sort of super-controlled experiment, but I do have some empirical data from the past week or so.

If the defrost (windshield setting) is on when I turn off the car after a normal drive (like a 10 mile commute, etc.) then when I get in, there may be a couple of foggy patches above the vents, but the windshield very quickly fogs up when I start the car (defrost still on). About 30 seconds later, it's clear.

Chime in if you think something different, but here's what I think (a.k.a., pull out of my ass): since the defrost was on at the end of the last drive, the insides of the vents are warm when I shut the car off. As they cool, the damp air condenses in there. When I turn on the car, the warm, then hot air first dries out the condensation which then recondenses on the cool windshield, then the defroster removes that from the windshield (as I said before -- this is very fast in this car).

Perhaps the system in the MD is more susceptible to this than other models. I repeat that I have never, ever had a car do this to this extent. Not complaining, just an observation.

I do not have this problem if the defrost wasn't on the last time I drove the car. It was exceptionally damp this morning (raining all night) and there was none on the windshield this morning. I did not have the defroster on last evening.

So, perhaps make sure that your defroster isn't on for the 10 to 15 minutes before you turn the car off (should probably switch to something else after initial defrost anyway, which I always forget to do).
NevynPA
Hah! I figured that could help the problem. Set it to floor before you get out for the night, and it should cut down or eliminate the windshield issue. smile.gif
benman
QUOTE (NevynPA @ Nov 29 2011, 11:08 AM) *
Hah! I figured that could help the problem. Set it to floor before you get out for the night, and it should cut down or eliminate the windshield issue. smile.gif

Well, yes, but I think it has to be switched for a while before you turn the car off, otherwise, it will still be warm and gather condensation. I'll give this a try this evening if I remember (run defroster to warm it, switch to floor just before turning off).
Madrigal
I was told by a mechanic long ago in cold wet conditions to clear the inside quickly you turn on defrost and the heat at the same time. Works like a charm. Of course, clean windows helps a lot.
mtlelantra
AC isn't just about cooling, it's also about dehumidification. AC + temp setting in the "red" gives you dry hot air. You can run the AC in the winter. It's not a problem.

I have one of the Canadian XD2s that Nevyn was speaking to that you can turn on/off the AC manually in windshield defroster mode. When I turn the knob to defrost mode, the AC automatically comes on with it, and it's only rarely that I turn it off. When you have fog on the inside, you WANT the dehumidification that the AC provides to clear it out fast. Otherwise if you blow humid air onto a cold windshield you're just going to keep fogging it up.

Yes, it would be nice to have the ability to turn the AC on or off manually, but when you're defogging the windshield, usually you want it on.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.