Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uncomfortable seats
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Elantra AD/MD/UD > Elantra AD/MD/UD General

View New Posts
twsarch
The seats in our 2012 Elantra GLS are pretty uncomfortable during a long trip, a long trip being more then over an hour. I get lower back pain and my rear end gets a little, shall we say tired. My wife has similar complaints, both driver and passenger seats. A 4 hour (one way) ride last week was pretty terrible. A two hour trip has similar results. Size may matter; I am 6’-3” and 235 pounds (leg room is great!). I know there is no adjustable lumbar support but I didn’t realize there would be no support at all. The seats in my beat 04 bottom of the line corolla CE are much better and they are not supposed to be. I drove that car solo nonstop (except gas and pit stops) from NY to SC and got several hours before any discomfort and it never got as bad. With this car it takes less than an hour. Anyone else have this problem and is there anything that can be done about it?
mad.gif
Bobzilla
Try them out before buying it next time? 533.gif
slowgls
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Oct 11 2011, 01:24 PM) *

Hahaha yea that would help.
Lone Star Elantra
Maybe pick up a lumbar pillow like this to ease the strain on your lower back on long trips.

Lumbar Pillow
The Gegenator
I'm sure he did sit in it before he bought it, but I'm also sure most salesmen will not let you drive the car for more than an hour at a time lol.
Bobzilla
I find it odd that the MD's don't have lumbar support. All previous generations had manual adjusters.
twsarch
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Oct 11 2011, 02:24 PM) *

Seats felt great during both 20 min test drives. We even had a rental car that was a 2011 elantra presumably with identical seats and that was fine but we never went longer than 45 min in that. The dealer would report the car stolen if we went on a test drive long enough to uncover this problem. Next car I buy I’ll tell them to fill the tank, “see you in 5 hours”.
Madrigal
I think most car seats are designed by chiropractors... to get them more business.

Seriously, besides lumbar support, a good wedge cushion helps a lot by improving the angle of your back and legs. Avoid memory foam cushions. They just compress and are basically useless.
silvergls
It took me a little while but try playing with the seat adjustments. Getting the proper or best position in these seats might differ than what you're used to. Once I found the best settings I don't notice any issues. Also the seats I heard is constructed with memory foam material which has I found, less initial give than the foam materials most commonly used.
twsarch
QUOTE (silvergls @ Oct 12 2011, 12:36 AM) *
It took me a little while but try playing with the seat adjustments. Getting the proper or best position in these seats might differ than what you're used to. Once I found the best settings I don't notice any issues. Also the seats I heard is constructed with memory foam material which has I found, less initial give than the foam materials most commonly used.

To relive the discomfort, I find it helps a bit to change the seat position every now and then during the trip but that is temporary. I play with the height and back angle. I was aware of this problem before our 4 hour trip and tried to get wedge cushions but was not able get them in time. I still have not found any I like. In a previous car, to help compensate for worn out seats, I had inflatable lumbar supports that slipped under the factory fabric but this car has air bag in the seats so I don’t know if I want to go there.
Tony240
i find the leather gets abit uneasy after a long drive.. i wonder how the cloth seats feel as I havent sat in those as of yet
only1db
it has NO lumbar support? thats weird.
Bobzilla
QUOTE (only1db @ Oct 12 2011, 12:24 PM) *

Ditto. I just checked a bunch of pics of the interiors of the MD's and I'm not seeing a knob or lever for lumbar adjust like every other Elantra has had for many many moons. Did Hyundai jump the shark on this one?
twsarch
QUOTE (only1db @ Oct 12 2011, 12:24 PM) *

Not literally, I should say it has terrible non-adjustable lumbar support.
mbenz
Well :/ i have to kinda disagree with this post i kinda like the seats im 6ft 1 and 200lbs. it does have amazing leg room and ive driven 2 hours and there hasn't been an issue i set my seat to be perfect for me the only time i change it is when the girlfriend sits in and plays driver rofl but other than that no back problems.
only1db
QUOTE (twsarch @ Oct 12 2011, 01:57 PM) *
Not literally, I should say it has terrible non-adjustable lumbar support.

thats what i meant...the elantra has had lumbar adjustment for a long time.
twsarch
QUOTE (mbenz @ Oct 12 2011, 07:52 PM) *
Well :/ i have to kinda disagree with this post i kinda like the seats im 6ft 1 and 200lbs. it does have amazing leg room and ive driven 2 hours and there hasn't been an issue i set my seat to be perfect for me the only time i change it is when the girlfriend sits in and plays driver rofl but other than that no back problems.

Perhaps the extra 35 lb.’s makes a difference, or age, or simply different shaped rear ends? Perhaps the seats are from a different factory? Guess it comes down to one’s individual body reaction to the seats.
mbenz
yeah ur right :/ but if you have to have to u can just find different seats :/
peterjamesbenson
QUOTE (mbenz @ Oct 12 2011, 07:52 PM) *

+1
I am 6'4" 260 and no complains
My commute is around 80miles per day!!
Bobzilla
QUOTE (mbenz @ Oct 13 2011, 10:03 PM) *
yeah ur right :/ but if you have to have to u can just find different seats :/

And what seats are going to be a bolt in, plug in and work with the SRS system in the Elantra?
twsarch
I think my solution is to just wait it out. The elantra is my wife’s car and that is now the one we take on long trips. My Toyota has 162K on the clock and at the rate I am going will get to 200K by next summer. I think its replacement will be a Ford Focus ST if they live up to the hype they are getting (and if the price comes in under $30K). If that happens I’ll never go in the Hyundai again. laugh.gif
dirtydave
hate to unbury an old topic, but I feel it may be useful to let people know that the real issue with the seats is the headrest, it sits so far forward from the rest of the seat, I'm getting lower neck pains, because of the way that the headrest sits. I hope to take a look at it later and see what I can do to fix or remedy the situation, I think a pillow or extra padding on the back of the seat would help, but it may kill the nice seat warmers, which would be unfortunate.
Red Elantra GT
Hey-When I first got my '11 Elantra, the driving position seemed rather uncomfortable. I had always adjusted the tilt and telescopic wheel in my past cars all the way in. After a while, I readjusted the Elantra's wheel all the way out and that has made a huge difference. My back no longer gets tired. I'm still amazed at how much room there is in this car, and I'm 6' +.
winc
QUOTE (dirtydave @ Dec 26 2011, 06:47 PM) *
hate to unbury an old topic, but I feel it may be useful to let people know that the real issue with the seats is the headrest, it sits so far forward from the rest of the seat, I'm getting lower neck pains, because of the way that the headrest sits. I hope to take a look at it later and see what I can do to fix or remedy the situation, I think a pillow or extra padding on the back of the seat would help, but it may kill the nice seat warmers, which would be unfortunate.

It seems all of the newer vehicles are going to this headrest design, likely to prevent whiplash in case of a rear impact. On my former 2007 Saab, I was able to reverse the headrest by pulling it out completely and switching it around, made it less forward. I'm not advising you to do the same as it could suggest something potentially unsafe.

As for the uncomfortable seats on a long drive... The wedge pillows can move around and not always be where you want them. There should be an automotive upholstery shop in your town or somewhere nearby (most do convertible top replacements too)... Check with one of them to see if they can put additional padding, manual or inflatable lumbar adjustment, or possibly a plusher fabric to make it more comfortable.
dirtydave
QUOTE (winc @ Dec 26 2011, 08:56 PM) *
It seems all of the newer vehicles are going to this headrest design, likely to prevent whiplash in case of a rear impact. On my former 2007 Saab, I was able to reverse the headrest by pulling it out completely and switching it around, made it less forward. I'm not advising you to do the same as it could suggest something potentially unsafe.

As for the uncomfortable seats on a long drive... The wedge pillows can move around and not always be where you want them. There should be an automotive upholstery shop in your town or somewhere nearby (most do convertible top replacements too)... Check with one of them to see if they can put additional padding, manual or inflatable lumbar adjustment, or possibly a plusher fabric to make it more comfortable.

yeah, I think I'll probably see if it's the seat that's uncomfortable, or just the WAY that I sit that's uncomfortable. I do not like the headrests though, that seems o be an issue to me because my neck was certainly not hurting before I drove home and I'm not sure if I can flip it around, the seat certainly looks cool but does not hold up to ergonomic standards IMHO
Red Elantra GT
Hey-the headrests can be reversed but they'd be far less effective if you're in an accident.
dirtydave
QUOTE (Red Elantra @ Dec 26 2011, 09:49 PM) *
Hey-the headrests can be reversed but they'd be far less effective if you're in an accident.

if I'm in an accident, I deserve the injury, truthfully though, I think the current setup of the headrests would injure me more than if I flipped them.
mbenz
QUOTE (dirtydave @ Dec 26 2011, 10:54 PM) *
if I'm in an accident, I deserve the injury, truthfully though, I think the current setup of the headrests would injure me more than if I flipped them.

well gettin rear ended by a drunk drive or hit by someone not paying attention then i dont think anyone deserves that lol. and you could prob get recarro seats but you wont get airbags but there comfy style or safety i think STYLE > SAFETY tongue.gif
bparker
QUOTE (twsarch @ Oct 11 2011, 01:48 PM) *
I get lower back pain and my rear end gets a little, shall we say tired. My wife has similar complaints, both driver and passenger seats. A 4 hour (one way) ride last week was pretty terrible.

YES!! This is exactly what I experience! Except it doesn't take me two hours to feel it. I usually feel it right away.

First, a little about myself. I have no history of back problems, and I'm not someone who would really fit the description of a person who would have these issues. I don't think I've ever found a seat of a car to be uncomfortable. This was also true when I test drove the 2014 Elantra. I purchased one about three months ago, and about 30 minutes after driving, began to get SEVERE pains in my lower back. (Unfortunately, the dealership wouldn't take the car back the next day.) My lower back (sacral region) feels tired and my spine cracks and snaps for hours after driving. If I don't drive for a day, I don't have problems, but as soon as I get in my car, I'm back to having these issues.

I've had it three months. So far, I've tried turning my headrest around (which is more comfortable but looks weird), tried sitting on blankets, draped blankets over the back of the seat, and purchased a lumbar support. Nothing's really worked. It's annoying! I hate to have to make a new car "work". Geez, I had my other car for 12 years and didn't want to give it up when I did. This car, I tried to give up after one day.

I love the car (except for the seat and limited visibility [seriously, that's a major concern too]), but it has many issues which really need to be addressed. I think it's beautiful and elegantly designed, but that gets in the way of its function. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing them, but I wonder why they chose to design something this way? Is my seat defective? I might go to the dealership and try other Elantras to see if the same problem exists.

What is the solution here? Nothing I sit in (unless it's unusual) is uncomfortable. It seems that little bar at the bottom of the back of the seat sticks into my sacral region. Maybe that's the concern? If it's any consolation, I've seen other Elantras with stuff done to make the seat more comfortable, like a lumbar cushion.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
bparker
Neanderthal
Some of your finer auto salvage yard establishments will have intact seats from other Hyundai or possibly KIA models that could possibly bolt in and talk to the airbag sensors.

We've used foam rubber cushions and gel cushions. Usually I find this a problem with US cars, the KIAs have not been a problem.

Bad seats in a car you drive steadily for hours makes for a bad situation.
You can develop back pains where there were none with the wrong chairs. I did in a 2002 Regal.

Within 30 minutes of driving off the lot in a 2005 Accord I traded for, my backache was gone gone gone almost in 60 seconds.
FurunoFan
Yeah, my wife hates my GT drivers seat. I just keep her as a passenger and all is good.
13ABLtd
My 2013 MD Limited has an 8 way power drivers seat with adjustable lumbar support. I have driven it across the country, driving about 14 hours per day. Other than just the result of sitting all day, I've had no unusual pain or strains as a result of the seat. I also commute an hour and fourty minutes one way to work, five days a week. I love the seat. Being electric, it's infinity adjustable. You might look into this as an option. I don't know if the Elantra has a generic cabin harness, where the connections for all options exist, weither the options are installed or not. It would be cool if you could just buy a seat and plug it in. Have no idea what the cost would be, but it could be better than getting a different car. I have 88,000 miles on my car now and have had no mechanical issues. I'm very happy with it.

FYI - I'M over 40 and weigh about 208.
Red Elantra GT
Hey-Glad to see you still like your Elantra after that many miles, 13ABLtd. No issues with my '13GT, though mine has far fewer miles than yours.
2000J25SP
QUOTE (Red Elantra GT @ Oct 27 2014, 06:55 PM) *
Hey-Glad to see you still like your Elantra after that many miles

88,000 miles is nothing.
Red Elantra GT
Hey-That's a lot of driving in a year!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.