Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just bought a 2012 Elantra Limited
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
Lone Star Elantra
Hello All,

Just bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited this past Saturday October 8th here in Houston.

It is Blue Sky Metallic with Beige Interior. They had the exact car I was looking for loaded with the options (Homelink Auto dimming mirror and mats) that I wanted so that made my search effortless.

Traded in my old 1999.5 Audi Quattro 2.8 V6 for something more economical with a warranty and with less high dollar repairs to deal with.
Fun car for sure but I will not miss it.
elantragt
Welcome to the club. I'd be interested to hear how you feel the quality compares to your Audi.
benman
Very nice - welcome to the club.
Blupupher
Welcome from a fellow Texan.
Lone Star Elantra
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
elantraGT5Speed

Welcome to EC!

The color is gorgeous!

I am an ex-Audi owner too... had an '04 A6 2.7t 6 speed, but one of the turbos started to leak and I didn't have an extra $5,500 lying around.

I am also interested in the comparison..how is the new Elantra compared to the B5? Apples or Oranges? Or not bad for a non-German?
Lone Star Elantra
QUOTE (elantraGT5Speed @ Nov 9 2011, 12:54 PM) *
Welcome to EC!

The color is gorgeous!

I am an ex-Audi owner too... had an '04 A6 2.7t 6 speed, but one of the turbos started to leak and I didn't have an extra $5,500 lying around.

I am also interested in the comparison..how is the new Elantra compared to the B5? Apples or Oranges? Or not bad for a non-German?

Hi elantraGT5peed,

Thanks for the compliment on the color.
It is a polarizing topic for sure. Some people love it and others hate it.
To me it is more unique but no better than silver, black or red.
So far I do not miss the B5 at all.
The obvious is that the Audi had higher driver involvement index for sure as do almost all German cars
The A4 was my first Audi.
I have owned many BMWs of all ranges in the past (M Roadster, M3 Sedan, 325es, 318ti) and they where even more responsive and quick than the A4.
Since mine was a Quattro 2.8 V6 it was heavier and burned more fuel.
We don't get much snow in Houston and we have been under drought conditions for almost a year so the all-wheel drive had minimal impact to me on a daily basis.
Premium grade fill ups added a lot to my fuel cost and that has dropped off dramatically since getting the Elantra (75 mile commute, 5 days a week... so it adds up fast).
The Elantra gets 29 mpg on a bad week of sitting in stop and go traffic and the Audi would 18-19 mpg under the same conditions.
Not too mention the maintenance cost on the Audi where insane. I still needed to get a new heater core (~$1200), new brakes (~$850) and new struts all around (~$850).
Who knows what else was lurking to break and eat at my wallet with over 108,000 miles on the odometer and 12 years of age.
My Elantra Limited eliminates those costs all together with it's warranty and age.
Finally technology-wise the Bluetooth for my phone, the XM radio, mp3 connection port and the ECO drive in my Elantra are light years ahead of my Audi which only had a Bose stereo with cassette and six disc changer which was state of the art in 1999.
Blupupher
Yea, it is amazing the advances in vehicles in the past 10 years or so.

My '04 does me just fine, but when I look at all the neat "extras" that are standard on vehicles today it does make me dream a little.
Kelly E
Congrats on your new purchase!! I know how you feel - I just bought one myself!! smile.gif I got a black 2012 limited with nav. I had every intention of going in to get the limited without nav and then I couldn't resist trying to get a good deal on the full bells and whistles. I am one who never thought I'd own a Hyundai - I'm a Toyota/Honda person, (my 23 year old son has just inherited my 2000 Camry haha) but the elantra is so impressive and I couldn't be happier with my new purchase!! biggrin.gif And it's been since 2000 (when I bought my Camry new) that I was treated to that new car smell! Ahhhh!! love it.
elantragt
Kelly, here's the thing. You're about 10 years behind on the Hyundai learning curve. laugh.gif Here's what I mean. Back in 2002 I needed a new car but I was a Honda guy big time. My previous 3 cars were Hondas. But I loved the style of the Elantra GT hatchback and I bought one with my fingers crossed. Loved it so much I started this club to let people know how good Hyundai was getting. And it was 100% reliable. Flash forward to 2012 and Hyundai is pretty much number one in quality, in brand loyalty, in warranty etc. Their dealer network which used to be so-so is now really good. Believe me, Honda and Toyota know this. The only reason they still sell more is that some people still think of Hyundai from the 70's.

Welcome to Elantraclub and congrats on the purchase! sarcasitc-bow.gif Hope you become a regular.
poriggity
Welcome! Nice looking Elantra!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.