Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canadian newbie checking in
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
JD and Beastlet
Hello from Ottawa, ON, Canada.

We (my 6yo daughter, my wife and myself) are currently a one-vehicle family and our do-it-all solution is a thirsty 2005 Toyota Sequoia. We're looking for a used second car and after the favourable reports at Edmunds.com we're focused on the 2004-2009 Elantra. Once we've found the right car, the truck will be relegated to occasional use and towing duties.

We drove a private seller's 2007 yesterday and we were favourably impressed. We are taking the next steps now - arranging a history report and a thorough pre-sale inspection.

Whether it turns out to be this car or not, it looks like we will own an Elantra in the near future!
Vinnie
NICE and welcome!

So nice to hear people come here and enjoy the nice features and fuel savings of an elantra.

One thing I can definitely say is a FYI to is if it's over 60k miles - see if the owner had the timing belt done along with the drive belts.
VIG
^ this.

It also makes a pretty good negotiating lever.
bhorste
Welcome! +1 on the timing belt thing... not that it's not *impossible* to do yourself, but if the car is past due mileage-wise I'd hope that the current owner has been responsible on this (or will cover the cost to have it done).
HyundaiMunday
Yaahhhhh !!!!! more Canadians.....!!!! Welcome to the club.
JD and Beastlet
Thanks for the warm welcomes and the tip on the timing belt. How much does the job cost?

That 2007 is out - the owner claimed no accidents but the CarProof report revealed two - and one of them was $6300! If he lied to us about that, who knows what else...

We have put out feelers at a couple of places - we have narrowed our search to a 2007 Elantra, or a 2008 Accent (based on the J.D. Power and Associates' rating).
elantragt
Hey welcome to the club. Honestly, I think the Elantra is going to give you a lot more bang for the buck than the Accent, especially considering this will be used as a family car. That Accent is probably a bit small for you and certainly a less comfortable ride.
JD and Beastlet
I hear you - DW and I are arriving at the same conclusion. We're going to limit future searches to 2007 (or newer) Elantras.
JD and Beastlet
We visited a nearby Hyundai dealer on Saturday and inquired about a 2007 Elantra. Today the salesman called my wife and told her they could find one at auction but we would have to put a deposit on it first. When she expressed concern about buying a car sight unseen, he told her that "they only bring good cars back from auction."

No thanks.
elantragt
I don't know if this dealer is too far away but this car is low mileage...

http://www.kingscrosshyundaitoronto.ca/use...d740c20ba78.htm
bhorste
QUOTE (elantragt @ Sep 12 2011, 07:03 PM) *
I don't know if this dealer is too far away but this car is low mileage...

http://www.kingscrosshyundaitoronto.ca/use...d740c20ba78.htm

Only 19k KM on the clock? And it's 4 years old? I'd try to get a look at that before it's gone. That's insane low runtime.
JD and Beastlet
That's beyond our range at the moment - and I doubt that car will be available by the time we could make it to Toronto. For now we're searching within 1-2 hours of home.
bhorste
QUOTE (JD and Beastlet @ Sep 12 2011, 08:55 PM) *
That's beyond our range at the moment - and I doubt that car will be available by the time we could make it to Toronto. For now we're searching within 1-2 hours of home.

Rats. I'm sure one will come your way anyhow.
sarge
Welcome to the club!
it is nice to see other Canadians jump in - especially Ontarians

Definitely if you are looking at the used Elantra, timing belt every 96/100K kms is a must. To get a shop to do it would be about 3-4hrs labour plus the belts. For the second belt change, do the waterpump as well.

Yea Kingscross is a bit of a trip for ya, and not really the cheapest dealer I've dealt with.

Keep searching, you'll find yours and just think of the money you'll be saving on fuel!!
jamhandman
I have a 2007 and think it's a great car, but remember it is the first year of a new model design and I believe the later HDs had improved side safety ratings.. 2010?

Welcome to the club and hope you enjoy your new car!
JD and Beastlet
I'm sure one will come our way too. Today we are checking out a 2009 about to come off lease. And on Monday after work we will drive to Hawkesbury to check out a 2007.

We're not in a hurry. smile.gif
jamhandman
Awesome. smile.gif
JD and Beastlet
Our search is over.

Tonight we purchased a silver-on-black 2007 Elantra GL Comfort Plus with 55,000 km from a local Hyundai dealer. We pick it up next Monday. biggrin.gif
hyundave
QUOTE (JD and Beastlet @ Sep 27 2011, 11:17 PM) *
Our search is over.

Tonight we purchased a silver-on-black 2007 Elantra GL Comfort Plus with 55,000 km from a local Hyundai dealer. We pick it up next Monday. biggrin.gif

Great! Welcome to the club. I love the HD Elantra. If you ever have any questions feel free to always ask
elantragt
Congratulations. clap3.gif When you get the car, can you start a Gallery album and Garage here?
JD and Beastlet
QUOTE (elantragt @ Sep 27 2011, 11:21 PM) *
Congratulations. clap3.gif When you get the car, can you start a Gallery album and Garage here?

Will do.

QUOTE (hyundave @ Sep 27 2011, 11:20 PM) *
Great! Welcome to the club. I love the HD Elantra. If you ever have any questions feel free to always ask

Much appreciated! Here comes #1...

When is the timing belt due to be changed, and how much does it typically cost?
sarge
Timing belt every 96Kkms (60Kmiles)
To get a dealer or shop will depend on their prices, but expect about 3-4hrs labour, and the parts about $100 (timing belt and accessory belts)
On the second timing belt you should probably change the waterpump, but the first one you shouldn't have to.
JD and Beastlet
We brought it home last night and are very pleased with it. Feel free to check out my reviews on DealerRater.

Note - there are two reviews:

JD and Beastlet
9/29/2011 9:47:05 PM

JD and Beastlet
10/3/2011 8:33:25 PM

Make sure to read them both for the full story. I only learned about Dealer Rater when the salesman handed me a card and asked for a rating at the end of our first session.
bhorste
Congrats on the new car! Sounds like a good pick up.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.