Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The hypermiling thread
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > J2/XD/HD Generations > Elantra General Discussions

View New Posts
slowgls
Hypermiling is defined by the New Oxford American Dictionary as the attempt to maximize gas mileage by making fuel-conserving adjustments to one's vehicle and one's driving techniques.

So how many elantra owners are driving to get the best gas mileage? Well i have started doing this in my car. I what to see who here can get the best mpg, and share tips with other owners.
Here is where im at on this tank. I have a 12 gallon tank in the j2. 124miles on a 1/4 tank of gas. My car was rated for 33hwy, so if i can get to 35-40 that would be better than that epa rating.
Millstone
I get 7.9 L/100 km without trying so I think that's like 29 MPG (US)
HyundaiMunday
My 03 GT factory dash computer gas consumption rarely changes. Seems to float anywhere between 10.9 and 11.1 km per 100 km. Regardless of how hard I drive it.
FSUspectra
Woohoo, a thread after my own heart! wink.gif Hypermiling, if you're willing to work at it and have patience, perseverance, and resolve, you can achieve stupid high MPG's out of these cars, especially if you have a manual transmission. If I may suggest (I know it's not always the best forum etiquette to link elsewhere), the best hypermiling how-to article out there is at CleanMPG. It's called Beating the EPA - the Why's and How to Hypermile. I currently have a lifetime MPG (LMPG) of about 35 MPG recorded (I skipped a few tanks here and there) on my 05 Spectra, and you can see my 2011 average in my signature. I do it because I am sick of sending my hard-earned dollars to persons that wish my family, myself, and this great country, dead. Not to mention, it's easy on the car biggrin.gif.

The techniques range from common sense (the low-hanging fruit) to advanced, and best described as a buffet - take what you want, and leave the rest.

I wish all of you awesome luck in your MPG pursuits, and am glad to help in any way I can, although I am not terribly familiar with the newer Elantras, I'll study up and chat with people who are, and bring back what I can! biggrin.gif
Silentwolf
Personally simple hypermiling is great but i feel some do take it too far and actually are more dangerous to other drivers and harder on their own car.
NevynPA
Nice to see this thread...and nice that it wasn't me that started it! Clicking the 'Thumbs-Up' button on this one for sure. I have LOTS of data collected for/from my K&N filter testing; now that Flickr is unblocked at work I'll be able to get photos up in the near future. smile.gif I filled this morning, but didn't calc it out yet.

Fuelly.com is a great place to sign up and track gas mileage. They make it real easy by allowing updates via text message! Once you're signed up, turn on SMS updates and put in your phone number. Reply to the test TXT you get, and you're ready to roll. Any time you fill the tank, just text them M P G (Miles Price Gallons) and they'll add it to your log and send you back a text with your MPG for the tank and your lifetime average!
Silentwolf
Txtin bit is some nice info and makes it easier on those half-tank fill ups.
NevynPA
If you fill with a "Partial" tank, you just add the letter P to the gallons and it marks it a partial fill. Example: 352.1 3.459 9.78p <--note letter P and no space between letter and gallons.
slowgls
Yea i feel this will be a good tread to start to help people get better mpg.I will be going on a week on less than a half tank of gas. Omg that is awesome!!.
Millstone
QUOTE (NevynPA @ Aug 11 2011, 07:47 AM) *
Nice to see this thread...and nice that it wasn't me that started it! Clicking the 'Thumbs-Up' button on this one for sure. I have LOTS of data collected for/from my K&N filter testing; now that Flickr is unblocked at work I'll be able to get photos up in the near future. smile.gif I filled this morning, but didn't calc it out yet.

Fuelly.com is a great place to sign up and track gas mileage. They make it real easy by allowing updates via text message! Once you're signed up, turn on SMS updates and put in your phone number. Reply to the test TXT you get, and you're ready to roll. Any time you fill the tank, just text them M P G (Miles Price Gallons) and they'll add it to your log and send you back a text with your MPG for the tank and your lifetime average!

when did "MPG" become "Miles Price Gallons" ?
sarge
QUOTE (mundayoreo @ Aug 10 2011, 08:41 PM) *
My 03 GT factory dash computer gas consumption rarely changes. Seems to float anywhere between 10.9 and 11.1 km per 100 km. Regardless of how hard I drive it.

Do you reset it often? If you don't reset it, it'll just keep the average since the last reset. At least that's what I've noticed with mine. Now the newer (11+) resets automatically upon fillup.

Pushing mine through the GTA gets me the worst of 10.4, and I've seen the average to be around 8.9l/100km. On the highway the best I got was around the 6.5l/100km, and I pushed just under 800kms out of the tank. Think I could have gotten to 830 if I wasn't worried about being stuck on the highway.

I use aCar on my Droid phone. The past 3 months have me avg at 8.1L/100kms or 28.78mpg
NevynPA
QUOTE (Millstone @ Aug 11 2011, 11:02 PM) *
when did "MPG" become "Miles Price Gallons" ?

For submitting to Fuelly via SMS, you submit your text message in that format. After signing up and turning on SMS updates, you send a text to Fuelly in that format, with a space between each.

Example: Someone who drove 500 miles on 10 gallons, and paid $2.29 per gallon would text them this:

500 2.29 10
M P G

Makes it easy to remember. "Is miles first, or gallons? Wait, it's M-P-G. Miles is first." wink.gif

MPG does stand for miles per gallon; that hasn't changed.
jamhandman
I wouldn't call myself a hypermiler.... but I just try to keep my highway speed below 65, don't floor it from a stop, and coast to red light/stop signs... smile.gif
NevynPA
Do you beat the EPA numbers for your car? If so, you're a hypermiler. smile.gif
jamhandman
Maybe.....
slowgls
Well 99% of this tank of gas has been city driving. The car is rated like 22/23mpg, i should be somewhere around 33/35mpg in the city. Guess that's good.
FSUspectra
QUOTE (slowgls @ Aug 15 2011, 06:27 PM) *
The car is rated like 22/23mpg, i should be somewhere around 33/35mpg in the city. Guess that's good.

That is certainly nothing to cry about! That's a 33% improvement just by lifting your right foot!

Today's hypermiling tip: try driving without your right shoe... you'll have much better pedal feel and can make more minute adjustments when trying to maintain a certain speed. You'll notice how little movement can make a difference in instantaneous MPG.
slowgls
The one thing i have to get used to is keeping a very steady foot.
HyundaiMunday
I have been keeping track of purchases and odometer readings on 'gasbuddy'. They have a place where this can be entered after each fill up.

I last put gas in the tank on August 13 2011...looking back into my records..I also put gas in my car August 12 2010.

During those 366 days I spent a total of $1606.36 on gas and drove the car 13621 kms

That works out to 8.5 cents per kilometer.

Just another way to look at things.
slowgls
Ok so i really like my car. I have never gone two weeks on a tank of gas. Friday it will be two weeks, the gas light is not on yet. Will fill up after work and report back on my first tank of hyper-milling, cant wait to see the results.
NevynPA
Careful. Hypermiling can be as addicting as spirited driving, simply because you never know when the low fuel light will come on - and because you know that every day longer without hitting the pumps is that many more dollars still in your pocket!
jamhandman
Maybe the light doesn't work tongue.gif

Kidding!!!
NevynPA
Oh man...I totally had that scare one tank. It didn't turn on until OVER the 600 mile mark.
slowgls
Ok guys got the results from this tank. It was all city driving. I went 332miles on the tank and no gas light. I think i could have gone to 350miles with out a issue. Ok here is the numbers you have been waiting for, 33.2 mpg on 10.5 gallons of gas. pretty darn good for a 99 i would say.
slowgls
Ok so i filled up the car today and got 35mpg the last tank.Half of that tank was driving back from the pig roast, so half and half, was very happy with the mileage of this car.
slowgls
OK so i got a little update. Been using the stuff i have learned here and put it to use on the red gt. Here a short video.
BNystrom
My '04 has routinely been getting 36-38 mpg on the highway with nothing more than using the cruise control set at 60 mph. It doesn't take any hypermiling techniques to good mileage in an Elantra. It DOES take a manual transmission, as it appears that Elantras with "slushboxes" struggle to get close to their EPA ratings.
slowgls
Oh Brian, I wish you would pay more attention. That is my COMBINED mpg, not hwy. Here is what the car is rated for. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?act...bs&id=19596
So i think im not doing that bad. Beating the ave by 5mpg in a auto. Oh and using cruise is a bad thing to do.
Chad Wilson
Recently, I have been paying careful attention to my work commute route. I drive 42 miles one way, so if I can save some gas, it will help in the long-run. I have been taking advantage of several downhill stints for the morning commute. All told, if I can use all of them, I am able to coast nearly 5 miles of 42 mile drive in the morning. There are some places on the way home that I can coast to reach that 5 miles of total coasting. That 25 miles per week is about one gallon of gas. Over 48 work weeks, that is a fair cost savings -- $155 at this mornings gas price. Not huge, but $155 would pay for 10 weeks of lunch meals for me.

The Elantra loves to coast. On really long hills, the hum of the tires and sound of the wind is all that you can hear. I have to use my brakes so I don't coast too fast.
litesong
QUOTE (Chad Wilson @ Dec 7 2012, 06:14 AM) *
I am able to coast nearly 5 miles of 42 mile drive in the morning. That 25 miles per week is about one gallon of gas. Over 48 work weeks, that is a fair cost savings -- $155 at this mornings gas price.
The Elantra loves to coast. On really long hills, the hum of the tires and sound of the wind is all that you can hear. I have to use my brakes so I don't coast too fast.

If you're only averaging 25mpg, then you're losing a lot of mpg, while ascending those hills you are coasting down. Agree that Elantra loves to coast, but I avoid major hills when I can..... & I'm averaging 39mpg.
litesong
QUOTE (BNystrom @ Jul 1 2012, 02:39 PM) *
..... good mileage in an Elantra. It DOES take a manual transmission, as it appears that Elantras with "slushboxes" struggle to get close to their EPA ratings.

Thought as you do. Since I couldn't find a manual tranny & got a wonderful deal on an auto tranny, I was apprehensive about mpg. But I am so delighted that my auto tranny is averaging 39mpg w/15% city driving & a high of 43. Have had to work the manual mode of the auto tranny tho, to get the tranny in the right gears that I want them in. That takes away from the main reason for an auto tranny...... to let the car do the work!

But if the car drops under 39 to 35-36mpg during the winter, it'll be hard to allow the auto tranny to operate as it wants to. I really have fallen in love with the Elantra giving me a range beyond 450miles & allowing me to stay away from gas stations.
karrun
Coming back from my daughter's last weekend, filled the tank back up in Rensselaer In and averages 52.3 mpg for the 127 miles home. Maybe a tail wind, but unusual traveling mostly westernly.
Normally i average closer to 42 mpg (mostly highway) with my 2013. I'm very happy with my mileage.
litesong
QUOTE (karrun @ Aug 20 2013, 10:59 AM) *
Normally i average closer to 42 mpg (mostly highway) with my 2013. I'm very happy with my mileage.

Excellent! Do you calculate your mpg or use your trip computer? Do you have access to 100% gasoline(ethanol-free)?
karrun
QUOTE (litesong @ Sep 2 2013, 11:03 AM) *
Excellent! Do you calculate your mpg or use your trip computer? Do you have access to 100% gasoline(ethanol-free)?

No, just use the trip computer. Is there a problem with it, that i should calculate it manually?
Alex2013GT
QUOTE (karrun @ Sep 9 2013, 02:53 PM) *
No, just use the trip computer. Is there a problem with it, that i should calculate it manually?

The tripometer seems to run favorable by between 1-2 MPG's. Mine is almost always in that range and it seems others are too. But even manual calculations aren't 100% accurate as gas pumps shut off at different times. So maybe that 42 average per the computer is closer to 40 or 41 actual, but irregardless it is fantastic and you are happy so that is what counts! thumbsup.gif
Bigspaceman1966
We have been getting 5.4-5.5 on the highway in our 2014 Elantra 1.8L.Thanks.
Bobzilla
QUOTE (Alex2013GT @ Sep 9 2013, 06:20 PM) *
The tripometer seems to run favorable by between 1-2 MPG's. Mine is almost always in that range and it seems others are too. But even manual calculations aren't 100% accurate as gas pumps shut off at different times. So maybe that 42 average per the computer is closer to 40 or 41 actual, but irregardless it is fantastic and you are happy so that is what counts! thumbsup.gif

The Forte is the opposite. If it reads 29, hand calculated is usually 1.5-2mpg higher. I've had one tank where it read low in the last 2 years and 36k miles. This is the ONLY vehicle that calculates lower than actual that I've ever had. IT's weird as hell.
SailorDave
I'm new here. Have a 2015 Elantra SE. When commuting to and from work only I can get 34 to 35 mpg on the display with mostly in city driving. When traveling off my normal path for shopping or bringing sister-in-law to and from work, my mpg drops to between 31 to 33 mpg depending on time of day and traffic. Below are the things I do to stretch my fuel economy.

1. Use cruise control as often as possible with Eco mode on.
2. See a stop sign or a light about to change to red or is already red then I'll turn off the cruise control or take my foot off the gas pedal to coast before braking.
3. Pick the route that offers the least amount of stops (stop signs, stop lights).
4. Shortest route isn't always the most fuel efficient due to frequent stops.
5. Take a look at whether leaving earlier or later could result in less traffic thus less fuel used.
6. If running multiple errands, map out the errands prior to leaving home with the errand furthest from home being the first stop. Stop at the closest errand next as you make your way home. This way the engine is fully warmed up and thus burning fuel efficiently.
7. Maintain proper tire pressure. I have a cheap portable air compressor that plugs into the car's outlet to maintain air pressure. These are not for inflating a flat tire.
8. Empty the car (trunk, back seat, etc) of junk that serves no purpose. My car has a small umbrella in the door pocket, tiny portable air compressor, tire pressure gage, roadside emergency kit, first aid kit, and a gallon of washer fluid (live in dusty area and the car doesn't have a warning of low washer fluid). When driving to and from work I also have my water bottle and lunch bag.
9. Once cruise control has been set for the road speed and having to come to a stop, once I accelerate up to around 20mph I hit resume on the cruise control to return to the posted speed limit.
10. On open highway I stay in the right lane with cruise control set. If the posted speed limit is 70 mph then I'm set at 65 mph in clear day weather conditions. If wet, I leave cruise control off to help avoid hydroplane. If after dark, I'll go another 5mph below the speed limit while remaining in the right lane.
Bobzilla
Fnally getting consistent mpg from the Forte after tuning. Dealt with a bevy of exhaust leaks that were making a mess of things. Right now we're averaging 36mpg back and forth to work using hte normal hypermiling techniques. Still hates the highway and higher speeds. can't get much better than 35 at 70-75.
elantragt
That's great mileage, Bob. I drive my Forte like I stole it and only average about 26mpg in a 60/40 highway/city mix.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.