Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New and seeking advice
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
RED80
Hey everyone,new owner of an used 05 Elantra,coming from a 97 corolla that wouldn't quit and hoping this Elantra will last.
Few simple questions and seeking your opinions on some maintenance items.

• I'm going with OEM oil filters,seeking recommendations for types of oil.The car has 87,000 mi.
  • Plan to do a coolant flush,what do you think of Prestone(Ethylene glycol),they provide it at my Auto Zone,it's not the long life it comes in the yellow container.Is it really bad to flush with the water from my hose,if so what do I flush with a couple gallons of distilled?
  • Any non Fram air filters you can recommend, that I can pick up at a local store,there's a Pep Boys,VIP,Auto Zone,Advance Auto Parts not sure what they carry.
  • I noticed in the manual it said nothing on changing the brake fluid,how often do you change yours?
  • I plan on changing the thermostat and replacing the spring clamp on the upper radiator hose because I heard they're prone to leak and thermo has reputation of failing early.
  • Luckily the timing belt and water pump were replaced.

Any suggestions, recommendations or warnings for me would be appreciated,thanks. thumbsup.gif
Blupupher
Welcome!

Which oil, you will get a 100 diferent answers. Just use any SL or better rated oil and a oil change interval based on your driving conditions. Good choice on the OEM filters.

The Prestone fluid is fine. As for using tap water, it really depends on your waters hardness and mineral content. If you flush with a hose and then follow with compressed air (only about 20 PSI) to get mos all the water out your fine, just use distilled water to mix with the antifreeze (if it is not the premix stuff).

Nothing wrong with Fram air filters.

I changed my brake fluid at about 90,000 miles (around 5 or 6 years).
Alex2013GT
First welcome to the club! thumbsup.gif

Second, if you are going to be getting a transmission flush at any point, make sure to take it to the dealership. You need to use SPIII fluid and its not worth ruining your transmission to save a few bucks. You should get plenty of use out of the '05! They are real good little cars.
Andrew Rickelman
QUOTE (RED80 @ Aug 3 2011, 08:37 PM) *
Hey everyone,new owner of an used 05 Elantra,coming from a 97 corolla that wouldn't quit and hoping this Elantra will last.
Few simple questions and seeking your opinions on some maintenance items.

• I'm going with OEM oil filters,seeking recommendations for types of oil.The car has 87,000 mi.
  • Plan to do a coolant flush,what do you think of Prestone(Ethylene glycol),they provide it at my Auto Zone,it's not the long life it comes in the yellow container.Is it really bad to flush with the water from my hose,if so what do I flush with a couple gallons of distilled?
  • Any non Fram air filters you can recommend, that I can pick up at a local store,there's a Pep Boys,VIP,Auto Zone,Advance Auto Parts not sure what they carry.
  • I noticed in the manual it said nothing on changing the brake fluid,how often do you change yours?
  • I plan on changing the thermostat and replacing the spring clamp on the upper radiator hose because I heard they're prone to leak and thermo has reputation of failing early.
  • Luckily the timing belt and water pump were replaced.

Any suggestions, recommendations or warnings for me would be appreciated,thanks. thumbsup.gif

Welcome to this forum. I appreciate another two replies for suggestions.

best of luck!
mlumz
Oil: Mobil 1
Oil filter: OEM Hyundai
Power steering fluid: any standard PS fluid is fine (non-Honda) --- change every 30k
Antifreeze: any anti-freeze is fine -- change every 30k
Brake fluid: any brake fluid is fine -- some change with every brake service, every 30k is probably fine
Transmission fluid: I would stick with OEM Hyundai for both manual and automatic -- every 30k
Clutch fluid: any brake fluid -- change every 30k
Air filter: any paper filter is fine, I recommend K&N filter since it's reusable and might net 1-2mpg.
Spark plugs: NGK
Spark plug wires: NGK, Kingsboro, or OEM Hyundai

Check out our DIY section for help in maintenance and upgrades.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.