Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Noise
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
insomniac
Hi everyone! I recently bought a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (2.0 L) with 65000 miles. The only work I have gotten done on the car is that I just replaced the timing belt on it.

When I drive the car I have noticed a few things with the car and I am not sure what may be causing them.

After making a hard brake, when I begin to accelerate feel and hear an abrupt knock coming from the steering column.
Sometimes I can also hear the rear brakes making a small squealing noise when the car is moving.

I am not sure if the two symptoms are connected. Although I didn't drive the car for too long before getting the timing belt replaced, I don't believe I heard the steering noise before I got the work done

Thanks for your help
silet
Welcome to the club!!! I have an 05 GLS and have the same noise from the front. I will inspect my brakes, tire rod, bushings and ball joint. The rear noise could be the brake pad indicator, or the bearing.
roydjt
The emergency brake cable has been known to freeze, which would cause the rear brakes to drag. Do you use your e-brake often? Do you live in an area where they salt the roads in the winter time? Corrosion in the cable would cause this.

-Roy
The Gegenator
I also have the same noise coming from the front under the same conditions- As Silet suggested, I suspect ball joint/tie rod or the like...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.