Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AutoX
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Automotive > The Racing Zone > Elantra Racing

View New Posts
elantragt
Doesn't anyone autocross anymore?
Bobzilla
Yep... just not in the Hyundai anymore. No longer have anyway to get vids either. Just had our last pointw event Sunday. Cold, windy and the vette was sideways all the time.
bhorste
QUOTE (elantragt @ Apr 19 2011, 09:01 PM) *
Doesn't anyone autocross anymore?

I would, but the XD is not the hot ride in H Stock... and I let my SCCA membership lapse a couple of years ago. Working on maybe being an instructor at the local region's school this year once I get details.
Bobzilla
^ Excuses! SHow up in a bone stock Hyundai andshow some noobs that you don't have to have "the car" to have fun andbeat people!

I'm running essentially a stock 23 year old vette in SSM because the PO removed the A.I.R. pipes. Finished DFL in class,and top half of the 100 people that showed.
elantragt
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Apr 19 2011, 09:04 PM) *
Yep... just not in the Hyundai anymore. No longer have anyway to get vids either. Just had our last pointw event Sunday. Cold, windy and the vette was sideways all the time.

Dude, you can post about any vehicle you race here at EC.. vids or not. sarcasitc-bow.gif thumbsup.gif
Bobzilla
Trust me... going from 90whp and 80ftlbs of torque in a 1800lb fwd car with a max tire width of 195 to rwd, 340ftlbs of tq and 275 tires is a big change..... about all I've got going onis a lot of tire smoke, lots of dorifto and a lot of grins!
bhorste
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Apr 19 2011, 09:08 PM) *
^ Excuses! SHow up in a bone stock Hyundai andshow some noobs that you don't have to have "the car" to have fun andbeat people!

I'm running essentially a stock 23 year old vette in SSM because the PO removed the A.I.R. pipes. Finished DFL in class,and top half of the 100 people that showed.

I'd love to, but the funds are going elsewhere, like saving for a house, feeding and diapering a 21-month-old, and making sure the daily driver doesn't puke up on me. Don't have a helmet that's legal anymore either (SA95 is off the books, if I'm not mistaken). I used to enjoy routinely smoking people with bigger monster cars than I had.
Bobzilla
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/bobnj...01%20group%202/

Those are the pics I took from Sunday of our second heat. One of the guys I work with and I are trying to get the entire event covered for pics. He takes better pics, but unlike last year at least we have pics. I just got he Nikon D3000 last black Friday so I'm still getting usd to how it works and getting the best results.
slowgls
Mitch, are you trying to tell me i need to autox my car and get vids and pics up here? Lolz. Got some work to do on the car and then i will cone dodge this new car.
only1db
i went to a couple events up north...but now the closest one is over 100 miles away. sucks.
cobas
I actually rode on an autocross run on an early-90 Vette. The amount of grip... nuts.

Personally, I tried rallycross twice but then decided not to break my car. Saw people gash their doors on tough shrubs, bog down in mud, one guy sheared off all his lug bolts... I gotta drive home. Also, the waiting time / racing time sucks. I mean you work half the day in the sun and get maybe 6 runs in at 2 minutes each, max? Ugh.
only1db
ok.....

pick up girl....go to dinner, go to the movies...maybe a drink or so afterwards...then MAYBE she will go for other things.

you just spend 6 hours and money with the HOPES for a climax...atleast with autocross...you get a blissful ending even if it is for only 2 mins.

not to mention you among your own kind of people there (car guys)...for me it was very enjoyable watching and prepping.

hahhha
Bobzilla
QUOTE (cobas @ Apr 21 2011, 09:04 PM) *
I actually rode on an autocross run on an early-90 Vette. The amount of grip... nuts.

Personally, I tried rallycross twice but then decided not to break my car. Saw people gash their doors on tough shrubs, bog down in mud, one guy sheared off all his lug bolts... I gotta drive home. Also, the waiting time / racing time sucks. I mean you work half the day in the sun and get maybe 6 runs in at 2 minutes each, max? Ugh.

Rallycross and auto-x are 2 different worlds. I've only seen Corvairs break at auto-x.
Toecutter
I agree with cobas. While autocross was fun for a while, the amount of seat time you get is pretty lame. Last time I did it, I think I payed $25 for the event, not including my annual SCCA membership. Had to work an entire heat, maybe even two, and got roughly 10-12 minutes of seat time. Of course you could get more if you really milked it, but that just pisses people off. So this works out to roughly $125/hour to autocross.

Whereas, I can take my bike an do a track day for around $300, get about 2 to 2 1/2 hours of track time, an hour of training and review, lunch, and no working. This works out to around $128-$150/hour for your time on the track. This is a little bit more than autocross, but you get to ride on a real racetrack for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

I am sorry but it takes 12 autocross events to get the same amount of seat time as one track day.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.