Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to Elantraclub
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
cburnscrx
Well boys and girls I am new here. Well, not exactly new as I registered a while ago when I was thinking about an Elantra, but in the end didn't end up purchasing one. On a plus side I didn't purchase anything else either.

So now, we could end up with two different Elantras...the brand spanking new version for my wife, and the older 2003ish version for me.

Currently we have a few cars (6) at home, but my baby is my 1987 Honda CRX Si. And no, it isn't some modded out rice rocket. It's black, with no rust, originally from Cali and has never ever seen a winter. She only comes out to play in the summer.

Other than that, I have a 93 Prelude VTEC that I like to run around in, and she's lots of fun too. I've modded her a little more over the years, and some things have changed, then changed back...Right now she's pretty stock with just some EBC rotors, hawk pads, KYB AGX shocks, stock springs (more on that later), and a cold air intake and K&N filter. Also, the mandatory wheel and tire upgrade.

I really like the Elantra as they are cheap to buy used, seem fairly reliable, and they all come with power windows, locks and cruise...well, almost all of them. That's a big deal to me when using it as a commuter vehicle. That being said, I would like to do some things to it and improve the car. For example, rear disc brakes if it's not a GT. It's a personal thing, but I just can't have a sedan with drum brakes. I also like cars with good gas mileage, as I will be putting on about 280 miles a week commuting back and forth to work. Yikes!

I'll be asking lots of question as I don't know that much about Hyundai's yet! I am a Honda guy as you can tell, but at this point I am looking into becoming a Hyundai guy too.
elantragt
Welcome to EC. thumbsup.gif

I'll tell you this, back when I started the club back in 2002, I was shocked at how good Hyundai was becoming. So good, in fact, I started this website to get the word out. I too was a "Honda guy" owning a CRX, Civic and Acura Integra. But in 2002 I took a leap of faith with Hyundai ('02 Elantra GT) and was glad I did! Flash forward to 2011 and Hyundai is now making products that are as good or better than anything out there.
Bobzilla
When you need a t-belt on that 03 you haven't bought yet drive that little critter up 267 just past Fayette and let me do it for you!

Welcome neighbor!

As far as reliability... mine's held up to not only my abuse, but 8 Indiana winters complete with potholes and crazy temps and is rock solid. 129k miles and only normal maintenance. It was my auto-x sled for the first 2 years, has been our medium distance cruiser (no more than 1000 miles one way) and I couldn't be more pleased with it's performance/value.
cburnscrx
Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses.

Here's the plan...I am looking to get the 2000-2006 Elantra to replace the 1995 Honda Accord LX V6 that I am driving everyday as a commuter vehicle. However, I am pretty picky about what I am getting, and since I just bought a 1996 GMC Suburban 4x4 last week, it might be a month or so before I decide to buy the Elantra. Also, I am likely to ship it from Vegas, as they don't have rust out there. Nothing like starting out with a clean slate, right Bobzilla?

I am either looking at a GLS with a sunroof and doing a swap for the rear discs, and possibly a katzkins leather swap

or

an elantra GT sedan with a sunroof.

Thoughts? I am not 100% on the leather, so that could come or go, but am pretty locked into the sunroof. My understanding of the differences between the GLS and the GT is alloy wheels, rear disc brakes, and leather. Is that it? I've heard that the struts are different, but that's wear item so I don't know if I'd count that or not on a used car. Nothing a decent pair of KYB's couldn't overcome. Are the sway bars the same? I've read about the Tiburon upgrade? Worth doing?

Also, I'd consider lowering it slightly, but after the debacle that is my Prelude, I'd have to know that somebody's setup actually worked without smashing the control arms on bumps and pot holes. Also, wheels and tires are a must, but on a 4 cylinder, it's going to have to be something pretty light as I don't want to decrease the acceleration and gas mileage. I figure a plus 2 should do the trick. Are there any OEM wheel upgrades that match the offset of the Elantra? I really like the sleeper look, the kind that makes you wonder if it came that way stock or if it just looks better than all the other (fill in the blank) out there. My wifes Altima is the perfect example. It's a 2006 Altima 3.5 SL with Maxima wheels and red candied tail lights. They look like Infinity G35 lights if somebody is looking for an example of how they look.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and hopefully I can bring something to the table other than asking a thousand questions!
elantragt
QUOTE (cburnscrx @ Feb 10 2011, 08:08 PM) *
My understanding of the differences between the GLS and the GT is alloy wheels, rear disc brakes, and leather. Is that it? I've heard that the struts are different, but that's wear item so I don't know if I'd count that or not on a used car. Nothing a decent pair of KYB's couldn't overcome. Are the sway bars the same? I've read about the Tiburon upgrade? Worth doing?

Since my wife had a GLS and I had the GT, I can answer that...

A couple additional things beyond what you mentioned are a somewhat bigger rear sway bar, a trip computer, fog lights and an upgraded stereo deck in the GT.

As far as the Tiburon GT (19.2mm) sway bar upgrade... yeah that's a must do!
Vampyrate
Welcome good sir! Like stated before this site is an invaluable source of information for all that is Hyundai if you have any questions or just want to vent why not come here? I know I do lol.
Bobzilla
Also keep in mind many GLS had rear discs. Personally I would opt for the rear drum equipped GLS... but it's apersonal preference. I like not having to change rear brakes every 30k.
Alex2013GT
Welcome to the club man! No worries about asking a thousand questions. . . We've got some pretty knowledgeable members here that will be happy to help. thumbsup.gif
xdforme22
Welcome!
cburnscrx
Well boys and girls, I didn't end up purchasing an Elantra after all. I ended up with 98 Acura CL 2.2 with a 5 speed. In the end it was a deal I couldn't pass up. We're still considering the new Elantra for the wife when she's ready to ditch her Altima 3.5 V6. I will still poke my head around from time to time as I am still interested in the goings on here.

Anybody discussing the new Elantra Coupe supposedly appearing at the Chicago Auto Show?
Blupupher
Hey, we don't mind lurkers! smile.gif

A little thread on the Elantra Coupe.
elantragt
Another coupe thread here.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.