Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2010 Bumper cover removal
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
Hannibal185
First off, hello to all the board members!

I recently slid into a snow bank (was pretty low a little over curb height) and it messed up my bumper cover. A piece broke off right where it is attached to the screw near the passenger side front wheel. Needless to say, I need a new one. I called the dealer and just asked for a quick estimate of what it would cost to get the bumper cover replaced and they came out to around $800. I think it is a little high but will look around some more. I was thinking about ordering the bumper cover online and having it painted at a body shop and doing the install myself. I downloaded the maintenance manual from hmaservice.com and it seems really simple to remove the bumper cover. Just a screw on each side of the car near the front wheels.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before and if so, could you comment on the difficulty/complexity?

Thanks!
silet
I haven't worked on a 2010 model, but it should be pretty straight forward to remove it. Then you'll know more about installing the new one. You can also have the shop remove, paint to match the new cover and install it. I don't think they will charge too much for it. The dealer can probably get the same color cover and not require painting. Look into that first.
sarge
haven't done it on the HD, but have had my bumper off a few times for various reasons... and it's not too bad especially if you're inclined to take things apart and can remember how to put it back together smile.gif the info from hmaservice is a good read, it's got pretty much everything.

You could also check out a junkyard to see if they can get you a bumper cover that's already the same colour - I was able to do that with my fender, and if I wanted to shell out the $300 to fix a small bracket and cosmetics I could've had a new cover as well.
http://car-part.com would be a start for that.
Hannibal185
Thanks for the responses. I am concerned that once I get it off, I wont be able to get it back on and/or there is more damage that I can't see that would mess with the installation of the new cover. I'm really not looking forward to spending close to $800 though wacko.gif
Vinnie
QUOTE (Hannibal185 @ Jan 20 2011, 08:59 PM) *
Thanks for the responses. I am concerned that once I get it off, I wont be able to get it back on and/or there is more damage that I can't see that would mess with the installation of the new cover. I'm really not looking forward to spending close to $800 though wacko.gif

If you update your profile as to your location and such, there might be some members in your area that can help / do it for ya. (hint hint)
JohnDoe641
I had it almost off when I installed the grille but then I wised up and did it a better way. biggrin.gif

It's the two wheel well screws, about four evenly spaced plastic screw-amabobs that are a pita to get out under which connect the bottom part of the bumper/spoiler to the black plastic and there's four clip/slots that you need to pop the bumper off of after you remove the headlights and two more where the turn signal lights usually are. Though I think there's two more clip/slots somewhere because the bumper was still holding on somehow.

gl

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.