Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using A Clay Bar!
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Ownership > The Elantra Detailing Forum

View New Posts
Pages: 1, 2
Carbon08
The first thing I will recommend is that you wash your vehicle well in a shady or covered area! Use the two bucket method. One bucket with your car wash solution, the other bucket with just plain clean water. Use a genuine sheepskin or wool wash mitt and try not to use a sponge! Sponges trap dirt at the surface where as the wool mitts will hold the dirt up and out of the way!

So...rinse your mitt in the plain water bucket and squeeze the excess water out, now dip into your wash solution and wash a section of your car. Now dip your dirty wash mitt into the plain water to rinse the debris and then back into your wash solution! You get the drift of this by now I'm sure.

You do not need to dry as yet. Perhaps remove most of the standing water on the flat surfaces, but that's it for now.

After you have washed you can clay your car. I would suggest one of the two following kits that can be bought most anywhere automotive cleaning supplies are sold;

Mothers California Gold Clay Bar System - Comes with a Bottle Of Instant Detailer, A Yellow Clay Bar and a small bottle of Cleaner Wax.

Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit - Comes with a Bottle Of Quick Detailer and a White Clay Bar.

Have a few soft clean 100% cotton terry towels or micro fiber towels ready as well for wiping up.

In both cases the Instant or Quick Detailer will act as your lubricant for the clay bar! Clay is a soft mailable substance that will effectively and safely remove contamination such as rail dust, Industrial fallout etc. from your paint, glass, plastics etc. when used in a safe and as directed manner as below.

Here we go...

Break your clay bar into two equal pieces. This way if you drop a piece of clay you have another to use! If you drop the clay..THROW IT AWAY! Do not use it.

Mold the clay in your hand to soften it and then mold it flat but not too flat between your palms. Spray a section of your hood (let's say a 1/4 of the hood) liberally with the Instant Detailer. LUBRICATION IS THE KEY! Use plenty of lube. Now pass the clay over the lubricated section using linear (back to forth) motion and LIGHT pressure to begin. Use a little more pressure as you understand a feel the action of the clay bar. You will feel and possibly hear the contamination being pulled from your paint up into the clay. It will feel rough at first, DO NOT PANIC and then it will smooth right out! When the feeling goes smooth and the clay bar passes over the section with ease, it's safe to assume that that area in now clean of debris. Look at the clay...filthy right?? Good..it's working. Wipe that area dry and thoroughly with a quality micro fiber towel or a 100% cotton soft terry towel.

It can be a little messy and runny but it wipes up very easily and will not stain your car or trim etc. If you do a nice job wiping up, it will save you the extra effort of having to re-wash the car or re-do the whole car with just the instant detailer and clean towel again!

Now run your hand over that section..it should be as smooth as glass and very shiny just by virtue of clean paint.

Now..turn the dirty side of the clay over to expose a cleaner side of clay. Don't worry, the dirt will turn in and be suspended high enough in the clay to let you work safely.

Spray another section of the hood and follow the same routine as above. Again..I cannot stress the importance of LOTS OF LUBE! If the clay feels like it is sticking to the paint, then you need more lubrication. After each area is complete, wipe it dry. You can do the same for your windows as well and even your trim.

I would suggest you do the whole car this time around! This way you have totally clean paint and a fresh "canvas". If you feel your clay is getting too dirty to use, then use the 2nd half that you broke off and set aside! My experience tells me that you should get by doing the whole car with 1/2 a bar, but use your good common sense and switch to a clean piece if you feel the need.

And YES..it might sound as though you are scratching your paint with the clay bar, but I say again..that with lots of lube and even pressure you will not be at risk.

Now...stand back and marvel at the results you just achieved with a simple piece of clay! You will probably not even feel the need to wax the car because the instant detailer will leave a great shine providing you did a nice job of wiping up after yourself. But you will wax...because I said so....lol

From this point on, you can follow up with the wax of your choice if you wish! Keep in mind that a clay bar will have removed any wax you had on your paint as well!

You do not need to clay every time you clean your car! I would think that once a year is fine.

Geez...have I forgotten anything??? I don't think so! If you have any questions ask away! I would be more than happy to help!

Have Fun
Bigs
That some good read Rich! thumbsup.gif I couldn't think of anything to add!
Gelicious
Will this method also work on areas that are not metal, such as the rear and front bumpers? I am going to really detail my car out for the shinny contest.. just wanted to know if i can use this on plastic peices as well?
Carbon08
QUOTE (Gelicious @ Jun 14 2005, 12:49 PM)
Will this method also work on areas that are not metal, such as the rear and front bumpers? I am going to really detail my car out for the shinny contest.. just wanted to know if i can use this on plastic peices as well?

Yes indeed! Plastic, glass, chrome, your rims etc.
roydjt
Rich, your timing is impeccable! Tomorrow I plan on trying a clay bar for the first time, so your recommendations here will be well-heeded! I plan on following the claybar with a layer of NXT, and to top it off with some P21s!

-Roy
Carbon08
Rich, your timing is impeccable!

I know...I know.... rofl.gif

Sounds like a good plan you have Roy! If I could suggest letting the NXT cure for at least 12 hours before applying the P21S.

Just use lot's of Lube! The rest will come naturally. Light pressure to start, you will know when to press harder if needed.

You'll be fine!

thumbsup.gif
Migs 01
yep claying is an important part of the detailing regimen. And for those of you who are pretty lazy like me there are speed clay foams on the market that perform all the functions of a clay bar with less mess in my opinion. the one i use is made by Diamondite. Basically it's a foam that contains chemical bond busters and kaolin clay. Spray on, rub lightly and wipe off.
Lethal Injection
You provide some pretty sweet info F1. It's really great having you as a member of our club. Your knowledge of Detailing techniuqes and products is absolutely phenominal, and it's nice that you are willing to share all of your wisdom w/ us. Thanks Man! thumbsup.gif
Carbon08
QUOTE (Lethal Injection @ Jun 14 2005, 01:43 PM)
You provide some pretty sweet info F1.  It's really great having you as a member of our club.  Your knowledge of Detailing techniuqes and products is absolutely phenominal, and it's nice that you are willing to share all of your wisdom w/ us.  Thanks Man! thumbsup.gif

blush.gif Thank You! I love what I do and I love sharing the things I do know!

Glad to be of help.gif

biggrin.gif
Carbon08
QUOTE (Migs 01 @ Jun 14 2005, 01:38 PM)
yep claying is an important part of the detailing regimen.  And for those of you who are pretty lazy like me there are speed clay foams on the market that perform all the functions of a clay bar with less mess in my opinion.  the one i use is made by Diamondite.  Basically it's a foam that contains chemical bond busters and kaolin clay.  Spray on, rub lightly and wipe off.

Here is what Migs is using (I think it's this one, they have two kinds):

Diamondite Speed Clay

Migs,

I have never used this product as yet! How does it compare results wise to an actual clay bar?

Thanks for mentioning the product!
cclngthr
Like with most products, people can overdo the claying, by rubbing it too hard or too long in an area. Just use enough lube (soak the surface) and rub until it is smooth.
Migs 01
QUOTE (f1guy68 @ Jun 14 2005, 02:35 PM)
Here is what Migs is using (I think it's this one, they have two kinds):

Diamondite Speed Clay
Migs,

I have never used this product as yet!  How does it compare results wise to an actual clay bar? 

Thanks for mentioning the product!

I use the one on the bottom of the page you posted. for a surface that is kept in good shape speed clay works just as good as a bar. if you surface is in need of some serious help then and bar is what you need IMO. A bar will also last longer than a can of foam. Oh i almost forgot. they make a clay pad for the 7424. It has a pocket in the middle that you mold the clay into and then clay using your DA. Never tried it but they make it.
Carbon08
It has a pocket in the middle that you mold the clay into and then clay using your DA. Never tried it but they make it.

I have seen it, I have read about Pro's trying it and throwing it away....lol

Thanks for the info on the Spray Clay.

smile.gif
Bigs
QUOTE (f1guy68 @ Jun 14 2005, 03:37 PM)
I have seen it, I have read about Pro's trying it and throwing it away....lol

Thanks for the info on the Spray Clay.

smile.gif

Not sure but I would rather clay by hand... You get the feel for things! I cannot see myself using a PC for that. Some things are better off the way they were!

Now Richard will come out with a smart 150.gif comment! rofl.gif
Carbon08
QUOTE (Bigs @ Jun 15 2005, 07:52 AM)
Not sure but I would rather clay by hand...  You get the feel for things!  I cannot see myself using a PC for that.  Some things are better off the way they were! 

Now Richard will come out with a smart 150.gif  comment!  rofl.gif

I would be inclined to try the spray clay, but somehow think I would prefer a good old fashioned hand rub 676.gif

Happy Bigs.....lol
Bigs
QUOTE (f1guy68 @ Jun 15 2005, 09:02 AM)
I would be inclined to try the spray clay, but somehow think I would prefer a good old fashioned hand rub 676.gif

Happy Bigs.....lol

Hand rub eh Rich! rofl.gif Yes I'm happy!
Memster1
[quote=f1guy68,Jun 15 2005, 09:02 AM]

I don't think the PC was meant to replace the "hand" 676.gif but if anyone wants to try and report back - have at it!
Carbon08
[quote=Memster1,Jun 15 2005, 12:39 PM]
[quote=f1guy68,Jun 15 2005, 09:02 AM]

I don't think the PC was meant to replace the "hand" 676.gif but if anyone wants to try and report back - have at it!

[/quote]

Hahahahahaha...I wouldn't want the PC on any speed faster than 3....lol

Speed 6 and you would have one very shiny package.....hahahahahaha

"The boys" would be hanging down to your knees after a shaking like that.... rofl.gif
Bigs
QUOTE (f1guy68 @ Jun 15 2005, 12:51 PM)

"The boys" would be hanging down to your knees after a shaking like that.... rofl.gif

Just like a facial but for the boys! biggrin.gif Helps reduce wrinkles!
Memster1
QUOTE (f1guy68 @ Jun 15 2005, 12:51 PM)

Shoot - on 6 you wouldn't have anything left to buff rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif
elantragt
Just like a facial but for the boys!

blink.gif Geez, the stuff we talk about here. ohmy.gif
cclngthr
I use the PC, but there are times where a hand buff provides a better result.
Carbon08
QUOTE (elantragt @ Jun 15 2005, 06:21 PM)
blink.gif Geez, the stuff we talk about here.  ohmy.gif

Hey, it sure beats the last time we talked about clay huh??? At least this time we laugh. rofl.gif

QUOTE (cclngthr @ Jun 15 2005, 08:28 PM)
I use the PC, but there are times where a hand buff provides a better result.

CC, I know you were talking relative to the topic of discussion, but in this case your comment really made me chuckle as we have strayed off topic and are suggesting using the PC for self pleasure....lol

It struck me funny to read your words as they are innocently placed amongst our sinful banter. laugh.gif
Migs 01
QUOTE (Roydjt @ Jun 14 2005, 01:08 PM)
Rich, your timing is impeccable!  Tomorrow I plan on trying a clay bar for the first time, so your recommendations here will be well-heeded!  I plan on following the claybar with a layer of NXT, and to top it off with some P21s!

-Roy

Hey Roy how did it go? biggrin.gif
roydjt
It was easier than I thought. I washed the car and clayed it wet. The clay took a while to soften and really become malleable in my hand. I could feel the clay "grabbing" the dirt and lifting it out of the paint. I could see the dirt on the clay and in the water/Quik Detailer. The paint was left feeling slicker, and the whole car only took me like 20 minutes. My neighbors gave me some funny looks, but hey, my car is shinier than theirs.

There were some things that I thought would be removed by the clay that were not. I have these little white pinhole-sized dots in certain areas, I think it's wax buildup. Most of it was removed by the clay, but not all.

The only bummer of the job was seeing all of the new rock chips I have. >:-(

I followed that up with a layer of Meguiar's NXT and later on a coat of P21S. Today was overcast and grey, not the kind of day to take photos to show how shiny a finish looks, so I didn't snap any. If tomorrow is decent, I'll take a few.

-Roy
Bigs
QUOTE (Roydjt @ Jun 16 2005, 03:05 AM)
It was easier than I thought.  I washed the car and clayed it wet.  The clay took a while to soften and really become malleable in my hand.  I could feel the clay "grabbing" the dirt and lifting it out of the paint.  I could see the dirt on the clay and in the water/Quik Detailer.  The paint was left feeling slicker, and the whole car only took me like 20 minutes.  My neighbors gave me some funny looks, but hey, my car is shinier than theirs.

There were some things that I thought would be removed by the clay that were not.  I have these little white pinhole-sized dots in certain areas, I think it's wax buildup.  Most of it was removed by the clay, but not all. 

The only bummer of the job was seeing all of the new rock chips I have. >:-(

I followed that up with a layer of Meguiar's NXT and later on a coat of P21S.  Today was overcast and grey, not the kind of day to take photos to show how shiny a finish looks, so I didn't snap any.  If tomorrow is decent, I'll take a few. 

-Roy

That's awsome Roy! Glad you had the guts to try it out! Wasn't it you that was scared to try clay? Anyways, I can't wait to see pictures! thumbsup.gif
Carbon08
Way to go Roy!

Glad you finally had the experience of using the clay bar.

Those little white dots...I'll take a stab bet that they are underneath the clear and that's why they won't come out. The clay should grab anything that is above the surface and remove it.

I have them as well, and nothing seems to be able to get rid of them. I starting to believe it is another issue with our paint.

Anyway..pictures would be great of the finished job, and maybe a couple of ZOOM pictures of the spots?

thumbsup.gif
Gman
I just claybared my car last week-end for my first show of the year and I love this stuff. The car feels like it is made of glass. The first time I did this two years ago I didn't use enough lube and was very frustrated by the end of the whole process, this time after reading this post I knew to lube it up and it went a lot better. I found that the lighter you press and the more strokes you use the better the results. After hand washing, drying, claying, and wax on and off I got to go over the whole car 5 times. My arm hasn't hurt this much since that week-end they unlocked the Spice channel for free. smile.gif
elantragt
I have them as well, and nothing seems to be able to get rid of them. I starting to believe it is another issue with our paint.

Yep, I have them too..as well as rock chips and other "defects". I think the main issue with our paint is that it SUCKS! angry-hitselfonhead.gif thumbsdown.gif
Carbon08
QUOTE (elantragt @ Jun 16 2005, 03:41 PM)
Yep, I have them too..as well as rock chips and other "defects".  I think the main issue with our paint is that it SUCKS!  angry-hitselfonhead.gif  thumbsdown.gif

Oh Man..you got them too huh? Are they isolated or spread out all over? Mine are all over the freaking car. There so tiny, but since mine are everwhere they look very noticable to my eye.

Once used to think it was due to the tanker truck leakage and overspray I endured way back or the time a guy at the detail shop sprayed wheels with acid and the wind picked it up, but I'm seeing a trend and am now contributing it to SHITTY ASS PAINT!

We should have a poll about how many owners have noticed little white dots or pinhole looking defects in the paint.

angry-hitselfonhead.gif
Carbon08
QUOTE (Gearcat @ Jun 16 2005, 04:21 PM)
Now you know why I put a bra on my car.  When it's time for trade in or to sell it, the car will be pristine in front without a single rock chip!  biggrin.gif  The nice part is, I can always take it off for the day if I know I'm not going to be on the highway and eating rocks the entire drive.

Sorry..I was not really talking about stone chips. I have hardly any of those. Some of us have white dots under the paint that is most likely a result of poor paint jobs.

I have the white dots and I have what looks like a million little tiny pin holes.

But yeah..It is a good idea to have some protection like a bra, but in this case it will not do anything for this problem.

Go up to post #25 and that will put you at the start of the white dots topic in case you missed it. thumbsup.gif
gpagpa
FYI: PepBoys has a coupon for the Mothers California Clay Kit for $12, instead of $17.99. The coupon is in the flyer in the front of the store. I was looking for the "blue" clay that was $9.99 that did a good job, but no store had the brand. The Mothers is on sale till the end of August.
cclngthr
QUOTE (f1guy68 @ Jun 16 2005, 01:19 PM)
Oh Man..you got them too huh? Are they isolated or spread out all over?  Mine are all over the freaking car.  There so tiny, but since mine are everwhere they look very noticable to my eye.

Once used to think it was due to the tanker truck leakage and overspray I endured way back or the time a guy at the detail shop sprayed wheels with acid and the wind picked it up, but I'm seeing a trend and am now contributing it to SHITTY ASS PAINT!

We should have a poll about how many owners have noticed little white dots or pinhole looking defects in the paint.

angry-hitselfonhead.gif

I have seen cars with them and it is hard to get rid of them. They are not below the clear, but on the top layer and whatever causes them have been baked in by the sun. I think they are caused by pollution.
gpagpa
Just got finished claying the car it looks and feels smooth. It was worth the extra elbow grease to get it done, guess I'm set for another year. One question, F1 how do you store the other half of the clay bar and the one that was just used? I remember reading somewhere, and I put both in a zip lock bag with a few squirts of the lubricant in the bag to keep the bar moist. Is this the right way to store the clay after using it? confused-scratchhead3.gif
Bigs
QUOTE (gpagpa @ Aug 21 2005, 09:53 PM)
Just got finished claying the car it looks and feels smooth.  It was worth the extra elbow grease to get it done, guess I'm set for another year.  One question, F1 how do you store the other half of the clay bar and the one that was just used?  I remember reading somewhere, and I put both in a zip lock bag with a few squirts of the lubricant in the bag to keep the bar moist.  Is this the right way to store the clay after using it? confused-scratchhead3.gif

That's awsome! Another converted one! thumbsup.gif

As for storing it. You can give it a small spray or just leave it as is. I would put "saran wrap it really tight and then ziplock it and remove all the air. That should keep it!

If you have used it and notice it is dirty, I would consider throwing it out. But that's just me!
Carbon08
QUOTE (gpagpa @ Aug 21 2005, 09:53 PM)
Just got finished claying the car it looks and feels smooth.  It was worth the extra elbow grease to get it done, guess I'm set for another year.  One question, F1 how do you store the other half of the clay bar and the one that was just used?  I remember reading somewhere, and I put both in a zip lock bag with a few squirts of the lubricant in the bag to keep the bar moist.  Is this the right way to store the clay after using it? confused-scratchhead3.gif

Way to go gpagpa! It really is worth the extra time and effort to clay. Nothing like smooooth paint!

How dirty was the clay when done?

thumbsup.gif

QUOTE (Bigs @ Aug 22 2005, 07:49 AM)
That's awsome!  Another converted one!  thumbsup.gif 

As for storing it.  You can give it a small spray or just leave it as is.  I would put "saran wrap it really tight and then ziplock it and remove all the air.  That should keep it!

If you have used it and notice it is dirty, I would consider throwing it out.  But that's just me!

As Bigs said, just a small spray will suffice as a moisturizer. Maybe some wax paper (baking paper if you or your wife has it) wrapped around the clay and then a ziploc bag or saran wrap.

A couple of times I have had the bag or saran wrap stick hard to the clay, so the wax paper acts as a barrier and helps it from sticking!
Bigs
Gpagpa,
Oh and, where are the pics for us to see? takepicture.gif

Richard,
that's a good tip! The Saran wrap does stick to the bar! That's another added into my detailing memory!
silet
I spray some detailing liquid on the saran wrap and doesn't stick (like the first time I wrapped it tongue.gif ).
Carbon08
QUOTE (silet @ Aug 22 2005, 09:11 AM)
I spray some detailing liquid on the saran wrap and doesn't stick (like the first time I wrapped it  tongue.gif  ).

ohmy.gif ninja.gif groucho.gif 676.gif blush.gif

rofl.gif
silet
QUOTE (f1guy68 @ Aug 22 2005, 08:23 AM)
ohmy.gif  ninja.gif  groucho.gif  676.gif  blush.gif
rofl.gif

Damn, I gotta start reading what I write blink.gif yup! I lubed it groucho.gif
gpagpa
Thanks for the input, guys. No picture, camera lent out, but anyone that has clayed, it feels like glass, smooth with no imperfections. Again, got the Mothers clay package at PepBoys on sale for $12. The clay did not seem that dirty, I did the front behing the wheels last and it picked up a bunch of tar that was stuck to the bottom, but I kept kneeding it over and over, it did not seem to be too fill with gunk. It did a wonder on the glass.
Carbon08
QUOTE (gpagpa @ Aug 22 2005, 06:56 PM)
Thanks for the input, guys.  No picture, camera lent out, but anyone that has clayed, it feels like glass, smooth with no imperfections.  Again, got the Mothers clay package at PepBoys on sale for $12.  The clay did not seem that dirty, I did the front behing the wheels last and it picked up a bunch of tar that was stuck to the bottom, but I kept kneeding it over and over, it did not seem to be too fill with gunk.  It did a wonder on the glass.

Those comments are like music to my ears!

Good method you used as well thumbsup.gif
MrGisriel
Well... I just got in from cleaning my car. I spent about 4 hours just cleaning the outside of my car. 1st I washed it with KIT's yellow carnuba wax formula, 2nd dryed it, 3rd Clayed it, 4th, Waxed it with Meguiar's NXT Wax (Spray, wax). It is SOOOOOO SMOOTH! thumbsup.gif I cleaned the rims with Meguiar's Hot Wheel Cleaner (best stuff I have tried yet smile.gif), then cleaned the tires and used Extreme Tire Shine. I spent all day yesterday getting the "black tape" over the windows and getting the adhesive off, then did the above today. Tomm. I am going to do the inside and I will be good untill next weekend, man cant stand a dirty car ! lol.gif Will post pics tomm.

glslove.gif
Carbon08
Another claying success thumbsup.gif

Look forward to pic's.

biggrin.gif
MrGisriel
Thanks...... Well here are some pics! smile.gif Pics dont ever do justice but it still lokks sharp! The car is soooo much smoother now!

Carbon08
Great Job!

I can see the smoothness of the surface in the reflections thumbsup.gif

B)
Bigs
Good job Mang! thumbsup.gif Nice reflections! Looks very smooth! The goodness of claying! smile.gif
mswyld
after clay bar quik clay-meguiars biggrin.gif thumbsup.gif

after tech wax - meguiars rear sarcasitc-bow.gif

front clapsmiley.gif

so damn clean and shiny
Carbon08
Awesome Shine and Great Looking Car!

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Keep up the great work!
Jonas
Veeeery nice clapsmiley.gif clapsmiley.gif Great job sarcasitc-bow.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.