Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st oil change
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
n0c
Is earlier oil change required 1st time? Should I change the oil at ~1k miles? I am creeping up on 1k miles, oil still clean. Mostly city driven. Could not find much on the owner's guide.
oiml8
I changed mine at about 1500 miles. The reason is that many "large" bits of metal are worn off during this early break-in period. You will be fine if you want to wait. I am paranoid about my oil. I use Mobil 1 sythetic and still change my oil every 3000 miles.
ADSisson
Did ours at 2655 miles.
3000 miles for "exterme" driving conditions.
IIRC 7500 mile for first oil change.

I'm used to having oil changed every 3000-5000 miles.

See this thread for more

http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2379
gonzo777
I don't see any need to change it so early. It shouldn't hurt the car, but that's a gallon of oil that probably doesn't need to be recycled yet.
n0c
Alright thx for the input. The reason I was is because of point oiml8 made about the bits of metal. I think I'll do a oil change soon (another 500 miles or so) so I can sleep at night easier. tongue.gif
Blupupher
I have always done a 1000 mile oil change on new vehicles. It just makes me feel better knowing there are no extra things in there from the initial break-in and manufacturing.

Does it help, maybe. Does it hurt, no.
Millions of cars run just fine havng the first change done at 3000-5000 miles.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.