Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: after market stereo HELP NEEDED!!!
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
bobby30x
I am brand new to this forum and a brand new 2009 Elantra owner. I am a bit confused about what style car I have. It does not have any GT symbol or anything like that and it is not the radio-delete car either. I have the xm satelite, fm/am radio option.

I used to own a 2006 chevy siverado and in it, I installed a pioneer double din dvd/navi system radio (Avic d-3) I want to eventually install this radio into my Elantra. Here is my problem... So far, I have found the radio wire harness for quick and painless connection to the factory wire harness that is in the car. Problem is that I recently ordered a dash kit for my radio and when it arrived, I noticed that the kit fits a 2" radio not a 4" like I need. This was all purchased through crutchfield.com and on their website, you can outfit your car with your stereo and it will tell you if it fits. well... it said it would fit and they were wrong. so...

I searched some more and found the correct 4" dash kit and it will work great, however, now the dash trim which goes over the radio, the air vents and the hazard switch is setup for the factory stereo and has a line dividing the radio into 2 parts. top being the radio display, bottom being the channel selection/presets. So now, even if I try to install my stereo into my car and it somehow fit, the seperating line would be directly in the middle of my stereo. Is there a replacement dash trim that would accept a double din radio?

I noticed that there are options for factory dual din gps and things like that but I can't find any particular site selling a replacement dash trim panel. any help would be great
RHINESEL
Congrats on the new purchase!

This might be a "some modification needed" situation. I think Crutchfield will note that on their site. You can always give them a call. I never had to but I believe they have "experts" ready to answer calls.

If you need to you should be able to simply cut out and sand away that separator. A little matching paint and you should be good to go, but please don't take my word for it.
bobby30x
Thank you. I think I will take a picture to show everyone what I mean. I thought about cutting it away and finishing it off but then the other problem is that the radio knob spots actually stick out beyond what would be square for the radio and I think it would look messy.
sarge
I was just looking for some picture comparisons for the 08 to 09 radios, and yea that will be a little bit of fun putting something in there.

I don't know of anyone that has a new fascia for the radio that would make it all square.

Definitely post the picture of what you've got just to make sure we're seeing the same thing you are. I'm sure there's a relatively easy solution. If not you could always make one.... DIY? smile.gif
fuelrat
When I was shopping for a Nav unit, a sales guy at Car Toys asked if I had considered a Double DIN stereo upgrade with Nav. I have the same dash as you described and he said they have a supplier that makes a Double DIN dash panel for the HD. Of course, I didn't get the name of the company but if the guy isn't full of ish then maybe you can track one down. I also have no idea how widespread Car Toys reaches. But the stores are everywhere in the Pac. NW.

HAPPY HUNTING.... 'Rat
bobby30x
I may have have the answer... I think this is what I am looking for. It says it is for the radio delete option but I think it will support a double din install with minor work and it should look almost factory without damaging the factory dash bezel which is important for if one day I decide to sell this vehicle.
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-7332
Alex2013GT
Did the dash change from 2007 to 2009? If not here is a double din bezel for a 2007 that would probably work. I'll check around this evening when I have more time to see if and how the dash changed.

Double Din for 2007 Elantra

Ohhh and welcome to the club! happy-wavehello6.gif
Alex2013GT
QUOTE (bobby30x @ Aug 23 2009, 01:05 PM) *
I may have have the answer... I think this is what I am looking for. It says it is for the radio delete option but I think it will support a double din install with minor work and it should look almost factory without damaging the factory dash bezel which is important for if one day I decide to sell this vehicle.
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-7332

Did a little more looking and yes it does appear the dash stayed the same from 2007 to 2009. Also, that kit that you posted I believe is the same (or very close) to Rob's (check out his garage here) I don't think that will give you a double din installation. It seems that if you want the double din unit then you probably will have to cut that center bar. You could always just pick up a new fascia trim piece down the road when you sell it if you want to pull out your headunit. At that point you probably could find one used on Ebay or in a Junkyard!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.