Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Towing camper trailers
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
jbixtah
I tried to find some reference to tent trailers in previous postings but all I could find was one un-answered question. I am considering getting a light tent trailer to tow behind my 07 Elantra. The manual gives various maximum weights for hauling and tongue but I can't seem to find anyone anywhere who has actually used his/her Elantra to tow a tent trailer across country. There are some 8 - 10 foot ultralights out there that seem to fit the specifications in the manual.

Has anyone here had experience towing a tent trailer with an Elantra? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
02elantragt
I imagine It would tow it just fine. I wouldn't think a tent trailer would be very heavy.
cclngthr
QUOTE (jbixtah @ Jul 28 2009, 05:40 PM) *
I tried to find some reference to tent trailers in previous postings but all I could find was one un-answered question. I am considering getting a light tent trailer to tow behind my 07 Elantra. The manual gives various maximum weights for hauling and tongue but I can't seem to find anyone anywhere who has actually used his/her Elantra to tow a tent trailer across country. There are some 8 - 10 foot ultralights out there that seem to fit the specifications in the manual.

Has anyone here had experience towing a tent trailer with an Elantra? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

I have towed a utility trailer with my HD, but the gross tow rating on the HD is 1500 pounds, which the average tent trailer is about 1750-2,000 pounds. I have had 1,000 pounds on my trailer and the car could handle it, barely. It wasn't designed to tow heavy loads. The rear suspension with the weight I had on it was bouncy enough to make me on edge.

While the XD (which I also owned) is able to handle the weight of a tent trailer, the HD would have problems with it. The engine would handle it, but not the suspension or transmission.
jbixtah
OK, thanks. That's one for towing and one against. After I posted, I found a message and a picture on the website showing an older Elantra towing a "heavy" tent trailer and the poster said there were no problems. So I guess I don't know what to do. The car does seem too small, too underpowered to pull anything heavy, even though the manual says 1500 lbs gross weight if the trailer has brakes and 165 pounds tongue weight. I guess I was hoping a lot of people had used the Elantra to pull tent trailers and had no problems. I guess I will pass on the idea.

Thanks for the help.
02elantragt
The xd elantras are much better for it than the hd like colin said, but I imagine it could do very carefully.
sarge
yea, unfortunately the HD (07+) don't have as strong a towing capacity... don't know why really...
I mean it's the same engine
though I guess it's also factoring in a little softer suspension and possibly different brakes.

Sorry 'bout your luck there... you should trade for an XD ... you might like it better biggrin.gif

If you got a superlight thats within the towing spec I'm sure you could tow it. If you're an automatic get a transmission cooler hooked up before you do cross-country towing.
cclngthr
QUOTE (sarge @ Jul 28 2009, 07:20 PM) *
yea, unfortunately the HD (07+) don't have as strong a towing capacity... don't know why really...
I mean it's the same engine
though I guess it's also factoring in a little softer suspension and possibly different brakes.

Sorry 'bout your luck there... you should trade for an XD ... you might like it better biggrin.gif

If you got a superlight thats within the towing spec I'm sure you could tow it. If you're an automatic get a transmission cooler hooked up before you do cross-country towing.

The issue is the transmission. It is lighter and smaller, both on the auto and manual. The XD had a larger trans, which is capable of handling more power and strain. The capacity of the XD is 1850 pounds as a result.
02elantragt
What about the touring? does it also have a lighter trans?
sarge
well checking with AOL motors (cause they know all) it looks like the same capacity as the HD
cclngthr
QUOTE (02elantragt @ Jul 29 2009, 10:07 AM) *
What about the touring? does it also have a lighter trans?

The Touring has the exact same transmission as the HD. Personally, I would not tow anything with the FD because the car is heavier.
02elantragt
Hmmm sounds like you might be better off just borrowing a friends truck.
cclngthr
QUOTE (02elantragt @ Jul 29 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Hmmm sounds like you might be better off just borrowing a friends truck.

On my Mazda 3, the manual recommends zero towing because the drivetrain was not set up for that purpose. Sure, the car could tow things, but with the cooling system, and transmission setup, including the trans cooler on the automatic, it would easily overheat with a load. It already has the potential to overheat the ATX without towing since the AT cooler is the size of a tuna can. Since my car is similar to the FD, my recommendation would not tow with it.
02elantragt
I never thought towing with a car was a good idea anyways... They just aren't made to do it. Some trucks can't even tow.
cclngthr
QUOTE (02elantragt @ Jul 29 2009, 05:47 PM) *
I never thought towing with a car was a good idea anyways... They just aren't made to do it. Some trucks can't even tow.

Honda trucks can't tow much, maybe a ton or 3,000 pounds. I would go with a Ford or Chevy to tow something big (because they are common).
02elantragt
I guess toyota trucks haul ok too.
sed
the physics behind towing is simply really, but I don't want to be "that guy" so I'll leave it alone

I HONESTLY and TRULY don't believe for a second that the FD or HD couldn't tow a 1500 lb trailer for alllll day long.

The tranny not holding up to the extra load ????

I mean really, what extra load are you lugging around????

Put it this way

I weigh 240 lbs

My brother weighs 300 lbs

my dad weighs about 280

and my best friend is oh, 220 - 230

so

shits and giggles

~250
~300
~300
~200

thats 1,050 lbs of weight

We have all been in my car (copy and paste, see other threads) and in my best friends car (01 elantra, almost stock) with NO troubles.

Now, I know there are people out there saying, but that is weight evenly distributed throughout the car and blah blah blah blah,

simply put thats a 1,000 lbs of extra weight that the 'lantra pulls all day long with no problems.

The REAL problem is in the force put upon the rear suspension and subframe.

If you have ever installed a trailer hitch on an elantra (or any other small car),you know they are pretty much designed to bolt onto the frame usining existing holes and brackets.

Its not a power to weight ratio issue, its an actual structural integrity issue, the FD and HD have a rear subframe that simply CANNOT handle the excess load of a singular point of 1,000 lbs.
cclngthr
The tranny not holding up to the extra load ????

I mean really, what extra load are you lugging around????

The trans (particularly the automatic) can easily overheat. On the manual, you are putting more strain on the gears and syncros (which are not the best) plus the clutch unit, which is not that stiff. Things wear out much faster. The XD trans was bigger and more durable to handle more of a load (and power). The HD's trans is not able to handle the extra weight that well.

I considered using a trailer hitch mounted carrier for my power chair. After looking at the total weight, it would be more than what the car was designed to hold at that point on the rear frame rail. 350 pounds might not seem much, but the car is only capable of handing so much weight behind the bumper, which makes it seem as there is twice the weight.
sed
QUOTE (sed @ Jul 29 2009, 11:25 PM) *
the physics behind towing is simply really, but I don't want to be "that guy" so I'll leave it alone

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.