Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie with some questions
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
betts4
I am almost an Elantra owner. I test drove a gls 2009 sedan yesterday and loved it. The feel and the size and the, well, elegance. I have been test driving cars under 20,000.00 for a couple weeks and this is the nicest. They even had a color that I liked.
In just a couple weeks I am turning in my old chevy caprice 1991 in the cash for clunkers deal and will drive home with the Elantra.

I did wonder about some things like - theft - I live in the city and wondered how high on the theft chain do the Elantra go. I mean, are they hot cars for thieves to resell? I also am getting this as a car to keep for a long time. How much abuse will the back seat take? I have two dogs and they ride in the back with me. And is there a rough estimate on how much tinted windows run?
jamhandman
I'm not sure about the theft, but I'm sure the Elantra is not as bad as the civic. If you get the manual, you may make you car less drivable for thieves and they will go to the next easier to drive car.
slowgls
Welcome, who in there right mind would want to steal a slow a$$ car like an Elantra.Lol just kidding You shoulded have a issue.Just be smart about it.
02elantragt
Don't the new elantra's have a transmission lock out built in to the alarm?
cclngthr
QUOTE (02elantragt @ Jul 15 2009, 06:23 PM) *
Don't the new elantra's have a transmission lock out built in to the alarm?

No.
Bigs
Welcome to the Club!

You should be fine about the theft! People steal parts for resale like for ricer cars... The Elantra isn't classified in that category! Go for it man!
bikedad
headbang.gif
ROC4GT
QUOTE (betts4 @ Jul 15 2009, 01:53 PM) *
How much abuse will the back seat take?

I thought you were going someone else with that question.

signs-groan.gif
Rob
Here are the top stolen vehicles for 2007, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB):

1. 1995 Honda Civic
2. 1991 Honda Accord
3. 1989 Toyota Camry
4. 1997 Ford F-150 Series Pickup
5. 1994 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Pickup
6. 1994 Acura Integra
7. 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup
8. 1994 Nissan Sentra
9. 1988 Toyota Pickup
10. 2007 Toyota Corolla

(These are the latest figures available. The 2008 list should be released soon.)

So, no worries! And welcome to the club! smile.gif
02elantragt
Hmm some of the years seem odd to me.
Rob
Believe it or not, that info is correct. In fact, the top four on that list is same as from '06. Check it out yourself.
sed
As far as theft, in my experience, thieves steal a car for parts, not cause they want your car.

There isn't demand for the car new, forget about hot parts.

with a 10 year warranty, there is NO reason to buy stolen parts~!
02elantragt
Sounds like all good points to me.
MalibuJack
Well I am in Canada and my 2009 GLS Sedan (GLS is mid range here as they also sell a GL sedan) came standard with an anti theft / Alarm system.

I just had my car tinted and it was under $300 CND... but I am sure you could do better.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.