Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2007 Elantra SE with Valve Rapping/Tapping
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
ElantraFun
I seem to have a valve rapping noise when I bring my car to a stop at a light or when my car is idling at other times. Any thoughts? Could the valves need to be adjusted, and if so, would this be covered by warranty? Thanks so much.
silet
It should be covered under warranty. Where do you get your oil changes and what oil and filter did they use?

BTW, welcome to the club!!!
ElantraFun
Thanks for the quick reply. I get my oil changed at the place I get my tires. Now that you mention it, I did notice that they had 5W30 listed on the sticker that they put on the inside of the windshield and I had meant to check that. I was thinking 5W20 was recommended for pretty much all temperatures, but when I looked quick in the manual one day I didn't find it and I didn't go back to look further. I should have popped the hood and looked what it said on the oil filler cap, but I've just been pretty busy lately. I'm not sure what filter they used. Are you aware of any issues with any particular filters? Would you recommend a dealer change my oil? I have noticed that genuine Hyundai parts are quite a bit cheaper than my Honda Odysseys genuine parts, which is a huge plus! Do you know off-hand if 5W20 is recommend for all temps? Thanks again!
cclngthr
QUOTE (ElantraFun @ Jul 13 2009, 07:16 AM) *
Thanks for the quick reply. I get my oil changed at the place I get my tires. Now that you mention it, I did notice that they had 5W30 listed on the sticker that they put on the inside of the windshield and I had meant to check that. I was thinking 5W20 was recommended for pretty much all temperatures, but when I looked quick in the manual one day I didn't find it and I didn't go back to look further. I should have popped the hood and looked what it said on the oil filler cap, but I've just been pretty busy lately. I'm not sure what filter they used. Are you aware of any issues with any particular filters? Would you recommend a dealer change my oil? I have noticed that genuine Hyundai parts are quite a bit cheaper than my Honda Odysseys genuine parts, which is a huge plus! Do you know off-hand if 5W20 is recommend for all temps? Thanks again!

In addition to the 5w20 oil, using the OEM filter is also a necessity. There is a TSB about engine noises and aftermarket filters.
silet
^^^ I agree. You should also get a Hyundai oil filter.
ElantraFun
Thanks for your help with this. It sounds like my next oil change should be done by me with an OEM oil filter, or done by the dealer. It was convenient to get an oil change and my tires rotated all at once, but I guess keeping my engine running properly is more important than that inconvenience.
Silentwolf
At least down here. A tire rotation at the dealer is about same costs as a quick job shop. Oil changes run a lil more but they use OEM stuff.
02elantragt
I like to run oem filters and Castrol edge oil. The oem filters seem to be the best from tests and personal use.
ElantraFun
I had an oil change done at the dealer (with Castrol synthetic blend oil), but I'm still noticing valve tapping noise--pretty much the same as before. I guess I'll take it back again and ask them to check further.
fuelrat
One more thing to consider depending on mileage. If you've never had a fuel injection system cleaning the engine will knock a lot. Our HD's do not have a fuel filter, only a screen at the fuel pick up in the tank. Look into doing a catch can also since there is not a PCV valve. I'm due for the injector service and have noticed that the car is starting to knock. I took all of the air intake apart and checked inside of the throttle body recently, there is alot of oil residue inside. This is also cleaned during the inj service.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.