Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elantra returns to action
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Automotive > The Racing Zone > Elantra Racing

View New Posts
Bobzilla
Yep... the retired car is coming out one last time. This Sunday, June 21st in Ft Wayne. Making the trek up for a trophy raid with out neighbors to the north. Since it's Father's Day I am having my father co-drive.

I was planning on taking the Swift up on the trailer, but the trailer has no lights and a few of the boards are just too rotten. So, since we're leaving for our free cruise in 2 weeks we just didn;t have the cash flow (and me the time) to get it ready and tow it up and back with the truck.....So she's back. One last trip down memory lane.

So anyone in Northern Indiana, southern Michigan come out and play with us!
sarge
you've only put the exhaust back to stock right? Still got the H&R's?

oh and a second damn you for the free cruise...
Bobzilla
Suspension is the same (only with an additional 30k miles) and all-season tires.
slowgls
Rock it out Bob.Glad to hear shes going for one last run.
bhorste
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Jun 15 2009, 02:52 PM) *
Suspension is the same (only with an additional 30k miles) and all-season tires.

All-seasons? That just means you want to run about 50-25 front/rear pressure. Gotta make that pig rotate *somehow* race.gif racetrack.gif biggrin.gif
Bobzilla
Actually it's the other way around... 35fr 55rr! Actually, learned that on grippy concrete the Swift needs 51 rr, 31 frt to rotate well.
bhorste
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Jun 17 2009, 08:11 AM) *
Actually it's the other way around... 35fr 55rr! Actually, learned that on grippy concrete the Swift needs 51 rr, 31 frt to rotate well.

Wow, that's just scary wrong... you're supposed to take advantage of a little sidewall roll to get the back end around (at least with the A/S tires). Of course, I haven't really been in "the game" since about '02, so my brain may have archived that data.

What sort of rubber you running on the Swift?
Bobzilla
Not "wrong" at all. Mos Civic/Miata (ST and STS) are doing the same, only not to the same extent. THe old RS-2's (225/45/16) I had on the Elantra liked 35 up front and about 42-45 in the rear depending on asphalt or concrete. Concrete needs more because of the added grip. On a FWD'er the rear needs to break loose first to give you the wanted rotation (looseness) so by over inflating them you lose contact patch and the tire becomes harder, not allowing it to grip. RWD is a little different.

The swift is running last years top tire, the Bridgestone RE-01R shaved to 4/32. Have about 100 runs on them and looks like as long as they don't heat cycle out I'll see another 150-200 runs based on wear.
bhorste
I suppose that all makes sense... but I thought the main purpose of bumping up the pressures was to increase the sidewall stiffness, if artificially. I will admit that I didn't try that with the old Yoko's on the Li'l Car, but used a Heavy Right Foot and Brute Force to wrestle that tiny beast around the course. It rotated pretty darn good. Only time I managed to spin it was on a wet day at Waterford Hills and washed the left rear out when I turned in too early.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.