Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy sh$t this is crazy
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Automotive > The Racing Zone

View New Posts
elantragt
This will have you speechless. I think a few of the people in the stands had to change their shorts... ohmy.gif

KaptKrunch
They said in the press release that 8 fans suffered minor injuries from flying debris.
Babyhyundai05
Happens all the time in 5 o'clock traffic here. LOL! tongue.gif
Alex2013GT
Damn, I flinch at a hockey puck hitting the glass. Couldn't even imagine seeing a flying car ohmy.gif
sarge
wow... so close to the finish line he had to just run across... I would, then throw my shoes at the guy

Vampy posted in the shoutbox that he just got back from Talladega, wonder where he was
slowgls
ya i watch the race, it was crazy.The carb fall off the car.
cclngthr
QUOTE (Alex2004GT @ Apr 27 2009, 06:27 PM) *
Damn, I flinch at a hockey puck hitting the glass. Couldn't even imagine seeing a flying car ohmy.gif

It was up pretty high as well. That fence is about 7-8 feet off the track pavement.
mtlelantra
Thank god the fence held... that was some big air!
RHINESEL
QUOTE (Babyhyundai05 @ Apr 27 2009, 09:15 PM) *
Happens all the time in 5 o'clock traffic here. LOL! tongue.gif

Only instead of a race car it's a moose!
popeye
A tad different trajectory and that damn car may have just gone over that fence...
Doohickie
Reminds me of Dale Sr. and Rusty Wallace years ago. Dale pushed Rusty's back end right around and Rusty flew (literally) over the finish line backwards. That was one of the accidents that led to putting the lift spoliers on the cars so when they were going backwards the whole car didn't act like an airfoil and produce lift. The spoiler probably kept the car from going over the fence in this accident.
TMac
Holy $h#% is right!
Frick
I don't know about Talladega, but the fence at Indy is closer to 20' high, I'm guessing Talladega is similar. 2 fans were airlifted out (mainly due to traffic, although 1 was supposedly more than minor injuries.)

If that had happened before the last lap they would have had to call the race. The odds of a car hitting in the same spot are high, but the fence wouldn't have survived another impact. I was watching the race and I thought for a second the car was going into the stands. On the replay I think the car had hit its apex and was on the way down, but still extremely scary.

An Indy car lost a wheel at Lowes in the late 90'sa and a single wheel into a non-packed section of the track killed 3 people. I don't even want to think about the number of people at risk if a 3,000lb stock car had gone into the stands. It would have gone through aluminum and steel stands like a bullet through paper. People under behind the stands would have been at risk as well as the possibility that the stands could have collapsed.
Vampyrate
thats about where i was for that crash, just a few rows down
Spectre
It's amazing that he wasn't hurt.
Bigs
Fence did a good enough job! thumbsup.gif
Vampyrate
that fence did just what it was supposed to. one of my friends caught it in the face with a piece of debris, better debris than the whole car

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.