Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newb question
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
seang58
I upgraded from a 2005 to a 2008 Elantra. I was told when I bought the car was that the engine in the 2008 was the same as that as the XD2. Can anyone tell me if that is true?

Also, if the engines are the same, would the engine mods for the XD work?
Bobzilla
Sorta, kinda and maybe.

The HD uses a VERSION of the Beta II, but uses a different PCM and electric steering. Enough differences that XD mods are not bolt ons.
cclngthr
What Bob said.
seang58
thanks Bob. What I was looking to do is install a short ram and I was curious of the one for the XD fit the HD engine.
Bobzilla
physically, probably. Problem is the PCM depends on airflow throught the airbox to keep it cool. Removing that may cause the PCM to overheat and shut down.
seang58
ouch! That wouldn't be at all good. I see that there is a cold air intake on the market, but I don't want to go that route with all the rain we get in New York.
Bobzilla
I don't getthe (unfounded) trepidation over CAI's. 6 years, in inclement weather, hard rain, cold snow.... never had an issue. Pushing 90k miles with my CAI.

Little clue: Don't drive through deep water. Then again, ANY drivers ed class will tell you the same.
cclngthr
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Apr 14 2009, 10:28 AM) *
physically, probably. Problem is the PCM depends on airflow throught the airbox to keep it cool. Removing that may cause the PCM to overheat and shut down.

Which is my thought as well. I would not risk it.

Better solution is to put a drop in filter.
slowgls
dont cold air intakes do nothing on the HDs?
cclngthr
QUOTE (slowgls @ Apr 15 2009, 03:43 PM) *
dont cold air intakes do nothing on the HDs?

The HD already has one.

Some CAI's can cause lean codes on the car.
slowgls
thats what i thought.It inducts cold air from the grill.
sarge
similar layout with the Touring it seemed

Now if you really wanted you could do a new hood and make it like a subbie, with a big mouth on top - though that's lots of work for little gain.
cclngthr
QUOTE (Sarge @ Apr 16 2009, 05:03 AM) *
similar layout with the Touring it seemed

Now if you really wanted you could do a new hood and make it like a subbie, with a big mouth on top - though that's lots of work for little gain.

Exact same layout as the Touring.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.