Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air conditioning
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
jbixtah
Hi there:
I have joined this board to try to find out if there is a way to stop the air conditioning from coming on each time I turn the selector to defrost. I have a 2007 Elantra I bought at about 40000 km, and I am very pleased with the ride and the fuel economy. But this air conditioning issue bugs me. I understand fully how the air conditioning helps defrost the windows but in my experience I only need this perhaps one time out of twenty five. The other twenty four times there is no need for the air to help in the defrost: all I want is some air circulating in the car. I find myself turning off the air conditioning when I start the car, when I re-start the car, when I change the mode from having heat blowing on my body to defrost, etc. I would far prefer to turn on the air conditioning when I need it as opposed to having to turn it off 24 out of 25 times when I don't need it.

I found some information on a Honda board about how to disable the system for an Element, but of course that is model specific. The Hyundai dealer says it can't be done but I felt I was getting the brushoff.

Does anyone know how to do this? I appreciate any help you might be able to provide.

Thanks.
cobas
Welcome! Ok, well, if you're asking if there's a secret code or combination of button pushes that will do that... I don't think so. If you're asking if it's physically possible to do by taking things apart and doing some soldering, of course it is. Somewhere there is a wire that goes to the compressor, and if you insert a switch into that line, you can control it.

It was done on the 2001-2003 generation of Elantra just by snipping a wire:
http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php...ost&p=88262

And on the 2004-2006 generation by adding a separate switch:
http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php...mp;hl=defroster

As for the 2007+ generation.... you'd be a pioneer! LOL biggrin.gif sorry
cclngthr
There is a way to program the HVAC to have the A/C switched off when you push the A/C button. To do this, turn the system on full defrost and hold the A/C button in and push the recirc button 5 times quickly (under 3 seconds). The light will flash and you will be able to turn off the A/C. Unfortunately, default will be it will always on when you start the car. That can't be changed.

QUOTE (cobas @ Dec 11 2008, 07:07 PM) *
Welcome! Ok, well, if you're asking if there's a secret code or combination of button pushes that will do that... I don't think so. If you're asking if it's physically possible to do by taking things apart and doing some soldering, of course it is. Somewhere there is a wire that goes to the compressor, and if you insert a switch into that line, you can control it.

It was done on the 2001-2003 generation of Elantra just by snipping a wire:
http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php...ost&p=88262

And on the 2004-2006 generation by adding a separate switch:
http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php...mp;hl=defroster

As for the 2007+ generation.... you'd be a pioneer! LOL biggrin.gif sorry

The A/C on the HD is programmable.
cobas
Oh, my bad... well, that's something at least. Even if you do have to push the button every time.
cclngthr
QUOTE (cobas @ Dec 11 2008, 07:27 PM) *
Oh, my bad... well, that's something at least. Even if you do have to push the button every time.

I have mine set where I can turn it off independently, but at startup, it always is on. You have to reprogram it after a battery disconnect.
RHINESEL
I believe I actually remember Andy talking about that either for the HD or for another vehicle he was test driving.
jbixtah
Thanks to all who replied for the information: it is appreciated. I've been away, which is why it has taken me so long to reply.
cclngthr
QUOTE (RHINESEL @ Dec 13 2008, 08:10 PM) *
I believe I actually remember Andy talking about that either for the HD or for another vehicle he was test driving.

When I took the HD service training, he did show me how to do it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.