Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Guy Here
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
DanDB64
Hello all, my name is Dan (no, really?) and I own a 2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS and a 2007 Honda Civic Si. The Hyundai is my daily driver and the Honda is my fun car. Well, in comparison to my Civic, the Hyundai is a drag to drive... It's my daily driver, but I would LOVE to liven it up a little. I'm not looking to race the car, but would love to just make it a little more fun to drive, if you can understand that? Any input is welcome.
Bobzilla
The HD's are still really new and being a Hyundai suffers from the typical lack of support in the aftermarket realm. A good set of lowering springs (H&R's are my personal choice) and a good set of wheels/tires would be the biggest improvement.
cclngthr
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Nov 20 2008, 10:06 AM) *
The HD's are still really new and being a Hyundai suffers from the typical lack of support in the aftermarket realm. A good set of lowering springs (H&R's are my personal choice) and a good set of wheels/tires would be the biggest improvement.

Currently, the only lowering springs available for the HD are on KSpec. H&R has not started R&Ding their version yet (I do call the company regularly about that).

The problem with the HD is the rear suspension is not adjustable, at all stock. You have to replace the upper control arm to get it back to spec (the car is actually out of spec stock) lowered.
DanDB64
Any luck with intake/exhaust? Looking for some better throttle response (is this car DBW like my Honda or cable throttle?), and springs sound like a good idea... Wonder if my Volks will fit when my SSR wheels come in for my Honda...
cclngthr
QUOTE (DanDB64 @ Nov 20 2008, 10:42 AM) *
Any luck with intake/exhaust? Looking for some better throttle response (is this car DBW like my Honda or cable throttle?), and springs sound like a good idea... Wonder if my Volks will fit when my SSR wheels come in for my Honda...

With the intake/exhaust, it will not be the same as with the Honda. Hondas are easier to fuck with and get some difference. Hyundai's are not so easy because of the ECU limitations. With an intake and exhaust, you might see maybe 2-3 hp difference. Hyundai's tend to focus more on torque than horsepower.

Wheels are depending on your style. The bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5.
DanDB64
QUOTE (cclngthr @ Nov 20 2008, 02:28 PM) *
With the intake/exhaust, it will not be the same as with the Honda. Hondas are easier to fuck with and get some difference. Hyundai's are not so easy because of the ECU limitations. With an intake and exhaust, you might see maybe 2-3 hp difference. Hyundai's tend to focus more on torque than horsepower.

Wheels are depending on your style. The bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5.

Same as my Honda! You have wheels, what size are they? Tire size? Looks good btw!
cclngthr
QUOTE (DanDB64 @ Nov 20 2008, 11:43 AM) *
Same as my Honda! You have wheels, what size are they? Tire size? Looks good btw!

I have the 18 inch Konig Incident wheel with 225/40zr/18 tire.

On the exhaust, I found if you keep the stock tailpipe and remove the cat to muffler pipe/resonator, you will see some improvement without loosing power. I put a 2.25 inch pipe in place of the one I removed.

Intakes are somewhat dependent on the car. I tried one and the ECU tossed a lean code. I also know that the airbox is directly connected to the ECU for cooling purposes since it now is under the hood (Hyundai designed it the way they did for a reason). People here will highly recommend removing the stock airbox, but I'm more conservative and will not suggest this due to that above issue people ignore. Dealers also will void the warranty on the ECU and if it does fail due to overheating, you will end up paying for it out of your pocket. Keep in mind though, the XD intake system is totally different than the HD's intake so to me, changing the design of the intake is useless unless you want a bunch of noise.

As I said before about the suspension, the factory suspension unmodified has its problems due to alignment and squirliness. More people have started to complain about it and several reports to NHTSA have came up regarding the issue. My fix to that was the first one to really fix the suspension, and about 3 months after I made the fix and posted several threads about it, Shark Racing began to sell a control arm that has a similar design I developed.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.