Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2008 Elantra recall
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
mikecanchat
I received a recall notice today that says "The fuel pump motor may not have the proper, uniform internal electrical surface contact. This may cause the fuel pump to produce less pumping pressure than required to supply the fuel injection system. Poor enging starting and hesitation may result. Other engine performance issues may also result and may lead to a crash."

The notice says that Hyundai will not charge for the fix.

I bought the car in Febr. 2008, and have 26,000 miles on it.
cclngthr
This is the fuel pump recall. What happened is the pump may lose electrical contact when the ethanol blend fuels used in many states makes a film on the brushes and other electrical surfaces of the motor. This usually is not a problem, but can be where certain electrical materials and certain metals are used together. A new pump assembly is installed, which takes about 1/2 hour to replace.
elantragt
Welcome to the club Mike. There's a bit more here.
ricerrx7
QUOTE (cclngthr @ Sep 27 2008, 05:33 PM) *
This is the fuel pump recall.

Thank you for clarifying that. We couldn't tell by the title of the thread...
fatmaninasmallcoat
got mine replaced just last week, took 1 hour . i suggest to get it done as soon as possible, you just might beat the procrastinators (then the dealers will be very busy ). i guess on the positive ,you'll get a free car wash after they are done.............. lol
GLS08
HEy guys I went to my hyundai dealer after reading this post the guys basically told me they won't change the part unless my check engine would come on.

He told me it's not really a recall that THEY HAVE TO DO. He said they just let everyone know that there was a problem but unless i'm having some of the symptoms there not going to change it.
ricerrx7
I'm not sure how that stuff works in Canadia, but here in the US recalls are mandatory. You bring the car in, they do the recall for no charge, no matter how old or how many miles.
GLS08
lol what the guy told me is that it's not a recall its more like a warning to let people know. That people with elantra MIGHT have a problem with that.
ricerrx7
A manufacturer does NOT send out letters saying "Your car might have problems in the future, just thought you should know..."
They send out letters saying "The government is twisting our arms, so come in and have this fixed."
Call Hyundai of Canada and tell them that this dealer is refusing to do a recall.
cclngthr
QUOTE (GLS08 @ Sep 30 2008, 07:45 PM) *
HEy guys I went to my hyundai dealer after reading this post the guys basically told me they won't change the part unless my check engine would come on.

He told me it's not really a recall that THEY HAVE TO DO. He said they just let everyone know that there was a problem but unless i'm having some of the symptoms there not going to change it.

It depends on the build date of the car. The recall is from late 07 through June of 08. IF the build date of the car matches the recall then Hyundai does it. Otherwise the dealer has to diagnose the issue.

QUOTE (ricerrx7 @ Sep 30 2008, 08:04 PM) *
I'm not sure how that stuff works in Canadia, but here in the US recalls are mandatory. You bring the car in, they do the recall for no charge, no matter how old or how many miles.

QUOTE (ricerrx7 @ Sep 30 2008, 08:14 PM) *
A manufacturer does NOT send out letters saying "Your car might have problems in the future, just thought you should know..."
They send out letters saying "The government is twisting our arms, so come in and have this fixed."
Call Hyundai of Canada and tell them that this dealer is refusing to do a recall.

If a dealer is refusing to do a recall, they are a dumbass,
sarge
I do recall reading something about how the Canadian recall system is different than US. Think it might have been in the newspaper 'Wheels' section. Though this is what I found from Transport Canada. No where does it state that the work will be done free and by the the dealer; unless it's stated in the recall notice that is mailed out.

source http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp2822/page5_e.htm
Recalls

Manufacturer’s responsibility

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act requires that vehicle, tire and child restraint manufacturers or importers notify Transport Canada, dealers and the owners of their products about any safety problems.

Owner’s responsibility

Manufacturers require your co-operation to resolve any safety issue. If your vehicle, tire or child restraint is recalled, make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Many owners who receive a recall notice forget about it, or simply ignore it. This inaction could have serious safety consequences.

If you change your address or buy a used vehicle, inform the manufacturer in writing as soon as possible. For the manufacturer to notify you of a safety problem, you must provide your name and address, and the vehicle’s make, model, year and VIN. On cars and trucks, you will find the number on the left side of the dashboard, near the windshield. It also appears on your vehicle registration certificate in the space marked "VIN". If you have questions about a recall campaign, please contact your dealer.

It is important to become familiar with the Owner’s Manual provided with each new vehicle or child restraint. It contains valuable information on the operation of the vehicle, schedules for inspections and lubrication, hints on vehicle handling, and installation of child restraints.

Note: Each province has requirements regarding safety checks, whether they are regulated periodic vehicle inspections, or are simply a requirement when selling or purchasing a used vehicle. Please contact your provincial Ministry of Transportation for any questions or concerns related to safety checks.
GLS08
I went to see the guy again today and tell him that I received the letter and I want a appointment for the recall he goes yeah no problem lol

he received the information 2days after I went to see him about the recall
sed
just another reason why corn should be eaten and not burned as fuel.

discuss
Katou
My recall was performed no problem at all.. Dealer complied to it no questions asked.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.