Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi to all you forum veterans!
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
WerewolfCustoms
So, let me introduce myself.

My name is Marin, I'm 22, I live in Slovenia (yup, Europe), and I have two kids, a wife and a dog. rolleyes.gif
Back to topic - I drive a bone stock-low end model Elantra 1.6 GL, manual, sedan, y2001. Together, we covered ...(calculating)... about 100k miles. Since it's a 1.6 model, and I don't drive it fast - I get an average of 6.2l/100km. (calculating) - 6.2 liters/100 km = 37.93 miles/gallon(US) smile.gif In my book - that's called saving money! We did have a couple of accidents, and breakdowns... But that's all a part of our story. And it's gonna be a long story... smile.gif

So, a few months ago, my car broke down. My timing belt snapped, I got a couple of bent valves and so on... On top of that, my brakes were also in desperate need of changing. And that whas when I decided to build a show-off Elantra. (berore this I built a Sprint Fiat Tipo)
So first i sorted out the engine trouble (1150USD) and then I moved on to the brakes(800USD). Now, the car is ready for mods.

Ok, this is my plan. Feel free to comment and add your ideas.

1. MS Design front grill, and new lights (OEM) - since I had a date with a deer at 70mph and the car survived with only a bent fender, and broken head light brackets.

2. Replacing stock speakers and HU.
- front: 2way system (tweeters + mid range)
- back: 3way ovals
- trunk: 2xwoof smile.gif
- HU: DVD-LCD

I have a Pioneed Mp3 DEH5530MP, bought it the day it came to the market. Obviously, it's time for a change.

Q: Would 17cm speakers fit into the front door? I've read here that you guys use 16.5cm speakers. (6 1/2")

3. Momo Corse Black 16" or 17" rims

4. No idea - yet...

So, please comment and let me know what you think...
I hope that we'll get along nicley here. smile.gif
bgilbert1
Welcome aboard Marin. I can't help you with your audio mods, but can sympathize with your deer incident. Deer are thicker than fleas in my area and they can do a lot more damage than a fender and headlights.

Too bad about your timing belt and brakes, but now you know that things need to be replaced before they fall apart. Good luck with your project. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
ROG
glad to have ya on board
have you thought of a lip kit
popeye
Welcome to the club Marin! Nice to see someone from another continent for a change thumbsup.gif

As for the mods, I'll second black rims. I think they'd look great on you color of car, I was going to do this myself but I just couldn't justify the cost at the time (and still can't but I'd like too..).

As for speakers in the front doors, just go for the 6.5's I put some Alpines in there and they rock! The 17cm's may fit but since I know the 6.5 do provided you add some gasket material (I used museum putty) to fill the minor gaps I can only recommend them. Others may have some knowledge here.

As for HU's there are almost too many to chose from! I found an Alpine iDA-X001 on sale and put that in, you can read about it here... Maybe just get an updated version of the curent model?

I'm not up on the front end mods, but others here are and will hopefully chime in on that.

I'm not sure how the sedans respond to the tibby rear sway mod, but it's a great one for the hatch. You may want to research that, as it really helps out the stability and handling for such a small amount of cash it's sick.

Oh and thanks for the metric/euro conversion data!
Alex2013GT
Welcome to the club. Sounds like some nice plans there. Never did play around with the audio in my Elantra so I'm not sure if the 17cm speakers would fit. Black wheels would definitely look nice and I'd say go with the 17". I put 17's on my Elantra and it seemed like a perfect size (though I went the Chrome route). B)
Vampyrate
if you have any audio questions, i still remember a bit from when i had my elantras and can help you out in that aspect

and welcome aboard!
WerewolfCustoms
First, thank you all for your welcome, and for your replies.

QUOTE (bgilbert1 @ Sep 21 2008, 02:33 PM) *
Welcome aboard Marin. I can't help you with your audio mods, but can sympathize with your deer incident. Deer are thicker than fleas in my area and they can do a lot more damage than a fender and headlights.

Too bad about your timing belt and brakes, but now you know that things need to be replaced before they fall apart. Good luck with your project. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

I guess I was lucky with that deer. Huh...
And yes, now I know that servicing my car can save me money... But hey, I'm that kind of a person - I like to learn stuff the hard way. angry-bangheadonwall.gif

QUOTE (rogerdavis87 @ Sep 21 2008, 07:04 PM) *
glad to have ya on board
have you thought of a lip kit

No, i didn't consider lip kits. I'm more of a body kit fan. I would really like to have the Zefiro kit. With a few modifications, it would look sick.
But, I don't have a clue where to buy it, so I guess I'll design and make my own kit.

QUOTE (popeye @ Sep 21 2008, 07:35 PM) *
Welcome to the club Marin! Nice to see someone from another continent for a change thumbsup.gif

As for the mods, I'll second black rims. I think they'd look great on you color of car, I was going to do this myself but I just couldn't justify the cost at the time (and still can't but I'd like too..).

As for speakers in the front doors, just go for the 6.5's I put some Alpines in there and they rock! The 17cm's may fit but since I know the 6.5 do provided you add some gasket material (I used museum putty) to fill the minor gaps I can only recommend them. Others may have some knowledge here.

As for HU's there are almost too many to chose from! I found an Alpine iDA-X001 on sale and put that in, you can read about it here... Maybe just get an updated version of the curent model?

I'm not up on the front end mods, but others here are and will hopefully chime in on that.

I'm not sure how the sedans respond to the tibby rear sway mod, but it's a great one for the hatch. You may want to research that, as it really helps out the stability and handling for such a small amount of cash it's sick.

Oh and thanks for the metric/euro conversion data!

Considering what you said, and what I heard from friends, I decided to go with Alpine HU (but i still like Pioneer better tongue.gif ), I'll chek out the stores in a day or two and write what's available here. And I still haven't decided what to go for - 1DIN or 2DIN... ??? Any comments? For the speakers, i guess Alpine would be good, but I also plan on checking DLS stores. The difference between 16 1/2" speakers and 17cm speakers is just 0,5 cm's. (0.5 centimeter = 0.2 inch) - so I guess they could fit?
But if i decide to go with an Alpine front speaker setup - then I'll go with the 6 1/2" standard. 17cm's were made by Pioneer - wich didn't offer any 16.5cm's.

Front end mod is... hmm... a bit necessary because of the deer. My grill is intact, but I don't like the way it looks with my car color. I would keep the crome grill if I had a black or a similar car.

Sway mod will come into consideration after I buy new rims and change my shocks and springs.

NP for the conversions. It's all calculated on-line, and I hope the calculations are correct.

QUOTE (Alex2004GT @ Sep 22 2008, 02:32 AM) *
Welcome to the club. Sounds like some nice plans there. Never did play around with the audio in my Elantra so I'm not sure if the 17cm speakers would fit. Black wheels would definitely look nice and I'd say go with the 17". I put 17's on my Elantra and it seemed like a perfect size (though I went the Chrome route). B)

I was more into the 16's. Something like 195/55/R16. My other option was 205/45/17. But I have to consider my underpowered engine, and bumpy roads I drive on. Of course, the more, the better... But sometimes we all have to make compromises.

QUOTE (Vampyrate @ Sep 22 2008, 05:19 AM) *
if you have any audio questions, i still remember a bit from when i had my elantras and can help you out in that aspect

and welcome aboard!

Great! smile.gif So, what do you think - about my plans? Any sugestions? What's the perfect woofer combo for a sedan? 1DIN or 2DIN HU? ...

I'm a total noob when it comes to Audio. Before this project, all audio mods I've done to my cars was - stripping it all out. smile.gif Best cars don't have any comfort - just two bucket seats, H seat belts, rollcage and no dash or panels tongue.gif smile.gif wink.gif
Vampyrate
you can fit in a motorized single din DVD HU if you want, but if you remove the tray at the bottom you can work in a double din radio. personally, i think a flush double din would be a lot more hassle free to deal with wile driving, especially something with a gps integrated into it (the pioneer systems). speakers are good. unless you plan on doing audio competitions, a nice 2-3way speaker setup will sound good, even without an amp running to the speakers. as far as subwoofers, i am running the same subs in my car that i got almost 4 years ago on the same underpowered amp and they sound amazing. you just have to know how to tune the amp just right for your own preference.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.