Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just bought a 2002 elantra GT as my first car
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
wenlez
i just bought a 2002 Elantra GT with 130k miles. this is my first car, and honestly, i do not know much about it. I replaced the one of the front head light, and now one of the rear brake light just went out. i also need to replace the cracked, left mirror asap. i searched the web to find the serivce manual, but i couldnt find one. does anyone know where i can download a copy? also, is there anything i should be aware of?
cclngthr
www.hmaservice.com.

Sign up and everything the dealers use is there. All shop and electrical manuals are online.
roydjt
Congrats on the car purchase, and welcome to the club!

http://www.hmaservice.com/ is Hyundai's online resource for service manuals. Most of what you need to know to take stuff apart is there, you just have to learn how to look around for it.

These cars have proven to be pretty robust, so you just need to keep an eye on the maintenance records. At your mileage, the timing belt should have recently been replaced for the second time (60k intervals), and if you have an automatic, the transmission fluid should be changed about every 30k miles. As long as the previous owner kept up with the recommended maintenance intervals, you should be good to go!

-Roy
Bobzilla
For all your servicing needs, www.hmaservice.com Create a profile, and you'll have accessto anything you need for the car.
bgilbert1
Haynes makes a manual for 96 to 01 model Elantra that should cover most of your issues. You can find one at Auto Zone or other parts stores. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Bigs
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Club!

You will find everything on the HMA site as every suggested! Worth looking at!
ROG
welcom to the club and if you have any problims you cant figure out we are all here to help
MEly
Congrats on the purchase. I bought my '02 a year ago and it was my first car too. Love it to bits - I'm sure you will too.
popeye
Congrats and welcome to the club!
judys01GT
welcome !!!

and if you're close enough ,some of us can physically help with any problems you might encounter or just meet up to hang out.

bob
cobas
Congratulations and welcome to the club! I think you'll come love the car as much as we do - just make sure the maintenance was done to avoid headaches. Tell us more about it! Color? Transmission? Options? Let's see some pictures of your new baby
wenlez
so far so good. I will take it to a tune up soon. Thanks, everyone!
Alex2013GT
Welcome to the club, and congrats on your first car purchase!!! Good luck with the car, i'm sure you'll enjoy it!
RHINESEL
I believe I saw a service manual on CD on Ebay the other day. If you happen to want a copy to work with offline.

Oh, and congrats!
wenlez
i love the car, it's fast, and handling is pretty good. however, i am getting "Check Engine" light now, and my mileage is very bad. According to the ODO, i get 18.7mpg. once again, my GT has 130K already, any suggestion?
cobas
The purpose of the Check Engine Light is to get you to check the computer for error codes - it'll tell you what's wrong. Take it to Autozone or some other place that reads these codes for free and you'll have much better idea of what's wrong. It could be serious, it could be the gas cap wasn't tightened all the way... gotta get the code.
wenlez
there was a leak pipe. fixed it now, and did a tune up. but MPG is even worse, only 18.1mpg?? why?
roydjt
Did you ever run the codes? There are several things that could cause a CEL and a drop in MPG. One that comes to mind would be a bad oxygen sensor - the computer receives incorrect data about combustion, so fuel mapping changes, decreasing MPG. You mentioned that you had a "leak pipe", what exactly was leaking? Exhaust gases? Coolant?

-Roy
cobas
Tire pressures around 30psi? Some people find 32 or 34/32 front/rear is a little better even, but pressures under 30psi can start to hurt gas mileage. Any unusual noises that could be ... a bad wheel bearing? a dragging brake pad? Got a lead foot? Or yeah, a bad O2 sensor throwing off the mixture (that would be a Check Engine problem too). Also, is that 18.1mpg average so far, or have you reset it recently? (Hold the button down while MPG is displayed to reset it)
JohnsRedGT
sarcastic-looky.gif two other items to check: air filter- does it need replacing? plugs - do they need replacement?
question.gif important! as mentioned before - timing belt? question.gif when was it changed last? 60K intervals is important!
wenlez
i replaced the spark plugs, S.P wires, and the air filter. alone with oil and oil filter.

the pipe was between the catalytic converter and the muffler. the engine check light is no longer on now.

I will try to reset the MPG odo today and report back. thanks guys!

as the timing belt, i really don't know. how much is it to replace the timing belt? and is it hard to replace it myself?
cobas
QUOTE (wenlez @ Nov 9 2008, 01:53 PM) *
as the timing belt, i really don't know. how much is it to replace the timing belt? and is it hard to replace it myself?

$300-$400 and yeah sorta...
carchick78
Congrats on your new purchase. I am pretty sure you will enjoy it. This is my second elantra and the way this economy is it needs to last me for years so hopefully it will last way past what your mileage is. Everybody always asks me how much mileage to the gallon I get and I always forget. Whats the best way to tell?

QUOTE (cobas @ Nov 9 2008, 09:55 PM) *

Is it really that much? Wow!
sarge
QUOTE (wenlez @ Nov 9 2008, 01:53 PM) *

Like Cobas said, it can run you a couple hundred depending on where you go and what all you get done.

I ended up doing my own timing belt and such - got a kit from kspec with all the parts($250cdn to my door). If you've got the tools and mechanical aptitude then it might be something to do... but if not then pay someone to do it, cause you don't want to blow up your engine

your tbelt change shoulda been done at 120K going on the regular interval, along with the water pump being recommended
May want to check into whether that was done or not, cause I'd hate to see the belt snap on ya.

Post up some pics of your ride - show it off!
judys01GT
QUOTE (cobas @ Nov 9 2008, 09:55 PM) *

have the dealership do it and have them replace your accesory belts while they're doing the TB, they'll only charge you for the extra parts.

bob

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.