Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newb with 08 Elantra GLS
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
dee67
Picked up our new 08 GLS, Black Pearl less than 24 hours ago. Debadged the rear with the exception of the slant H which I'd like to rebadge if I can find something I like more (any sources? would love input)

Will be getting moderate tint and will likely replace the factory grill and 15" rims/hubcaps. Does anyone know what the stock rim/hubcap combo weighs? I wouldn't want to get anything heavier. I will be keeping the stock size for weight and so it'll be cheaper. smile.gif

Does anyone have any resources for grills, badges and rims? I have never owned (or driven until a day ago) a Hyundai of any kind, so I'm as Elantra newbie as it gets.

Cheers!
KaptKrunch
Congrats on the new purchase, man. Where are you from? I think you might have a slightly difficult time finding tire/wheel combos that weigh less than the OEM 15's, especially if you want to upsize. I have an '07 carbon gray GLS and I am looking at getting a set of the 17" wheels and tires from the 2007-2008 Tiburon.
dee67
QUOTE (Stevetheriddler @ Jun 27 2008, 11:51 AM) *
Congrats on the new purchase, man. Where are you from? I think you might have a slightly difficult time finding tire/wheel combos that weigh less than the OEM 15's, especially if you want to upsize. I have an '07 carbon gray GLS and I am looking at getting a set of the 17" wheels and tires from the 2007-2008 Tiburon.

Thank you - I'm in new england. I'm gonna keep the tires, I just can't stand the hubcap that are on it, so I want to replace the 15" rim/hubcap combo with a decent looking set of rims... I figured maybe they did the weight saving stuff in the 16" alloys they have on the SE and hopefully the gross little 15's rim will have some weight to it so I can go a little lighter with something that actually compliments how the car looks.

(edit) typo (/edit)
cclngthr
On my 07 HD, I have 18 inch rims. The 18s look good on the HD.

If you want lighter wheels, plan on spending some money. Those typically are not cheap.
reyzen
QUOTE (cclngthr @ Jun 27 2008, 06:14 PM) *
On my 07 HD, I have 18 inch rims. The 18s look good on the HD.

If you want lighter wheels, plan on spending some money. Those typically are not cheap.

Could you please tell me where you bought your bra? Is it also good for an '08 GLS? Is it a 2-piece set (1 for the hood + 1 for the lower front)? Please PM me your reply, too, if you can. Thanks!
cclngthr
QUOTE (reyzen @ Jul 5 2008, 08:19 PM) *
Could you please tell me where you bought your bra? Is it also good for an '08 GLS? Is it a 2-piece set (1 for the hood + 1 for the lower front)? Please PM me your reply, too, if you can. Thanks!

PM sent. 2 piece unit. Dealers have them.
R.C.
QUOTE (dee67 @ Jun 27 2008, 09:15 AM) *
Does anyone have any resources for grills, badges and rims? I have never owned (or driven until a day ago) a Hyundai of any kind, so I'm as Elantra newbie as it gets.

Check out the vendors zone as well as ebay (key words: 2007/2008 elantra).

Cheers.
dee67
In case there is anyone else out there with an '08 Elantra GLS wanting different than the steel wheels and wondering about weight - I just got a reply from the parts department that the original steel wheels are 12.8 pounds. That will be tough to beat. ohmy.gif
Alex2013GT
Congrats on your purchase. As far as grills, I just ordered a grill from Korean auto imports (KAI). Here's a link to the grills they carry for the HD. I ordered an Ixion grill, so I ordered an Ixion badge for the rear of the car. I just got it last night and will be putting it on this weekend. As for the grill, they had to order it from Korea so it'll probably be another week until I get it. They (KAI) also run a site that sells just emblems. Check out www.ExoticEmblems.com. Their communication has been excellent throughout the whole process and I'm getting the grill painted with the factory paint code.

Couple things to note about KAI.

1. they periodically run sales on products. For instance the ixion emblem was $5 off when I bought it. If you're patient you could find a great deal on a grill. I've seen items listed for half price including some grills.
2. Some of their prices seem high on products and for those items, ebay is your best friend gleaming.gif
carchick78
Congrats on your new purchase. How do you like it?
Do you have any pictures to post up?

QUOTE (Alex2004GT @ Jul 16 2008, 09:28 PM) *
Congrats on your purchase. As far as grills, I just ordered a grill from Korean auto imports (KAI). Here's a link to the grills they carry for the HD. I ordered an Ixion grill, so I ordered an Ixion badge for the rear of the car. I just got it last night and will be putting it on this weekend. As for the grill, they had to order it from Korea so it'll probably be another week until I get it. They (KAI) also run a site that sells just emblems. Check out www.ExoticEmblems.com. Their communication has been excellent throughout the whole process and I'm getting the grill painted with the factory paint code.

Couple things to note about KAI.

1. they periodically run sales on products. For instance the ixion emblem was $5 off when I bought it. If you're patient you could find a great deal on a grill. I've seen items listed for half price including some grills.
2. Some of their prices seem high on products and for those items, ebay is your best friend gleaming.gif

That site has a lot of nice stuff but the prices are a bit high on things like you mentioned. I am going to keep an eye out on that site thanks for posting it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.