Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: having fun
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Automotive > The Racing Zone > Elantra Racing

View New Posts
ROG
so has any one passed some one just for the sake of getting that little bit of a thrill you get from pushing your car to the limit or is it just me being a twenty year old kid and wishing i could do that for a living
popeye
Yes and yes lol, hell I'm over twice your age and I still enjoy a good de-carbonizing on occasion...
ROG
haha good makes me feel better know im not the only one that beats on his motor every now and then
popeye
Just make sure you're keepin' it safe when doing so thumbsup.gif
sarge
it's pretty sweet to hear these engines purr up high on the RPMs

I don't think I could ever be nice on a car/engine. Being a spirited driver (safely) can definitely have its personal rewards.
For one you get to see how the car truely handles incase it's needed to be used that way to get out of a tricky situation (not like running from the cops or anything - just give up in the Elantra) smile.gif
ROG
well ya i just wish there was some organized races here then i could get my jollys of that way......ok that sounded dirty
popeye
Yeah that's a big problem, lack of organized racing. They have 'em here in SD at Qualcomm stadium from time to time.
ROG
yeah utah its ether out of state or or in the middle of the night and not what im looking for but the cops are but what the whole deal with that autocross thing
sarge
just did a little search for ya - spent 10 mins on youtube watching an organized Utah drag day

For autocross check out www.scca.org
or even
http://www.utahscca.com/
Looks like theres an event happening this Sunday for ya

I know back around my parents place they open up the drag strip for street-legal racing Friday nights, and a 'run what you brung' Saturday night
- there should be some events out there that you could get out and participate in, or even just watch
ROG
yeah i want to find a race close to close that i can put my car in and see how she does
KaptKrunch
It is quite fun to give the car an Italian tuneup every now and then even for a fuel miser like myself.
cobas
Autocross favors light, nimble little cars with good drivers and sticky tires more than heavy, softly-sprung cars even if they have more power. The Elantra is clearly in the former category. It's much easier and cheaper to make an Elantra handle well (suspension mods, sticky tires) than it is to make it fast at drag racing. Plus drag racing is pretty simple - mostly about the car - while autocross is more about driver skill and there's always room for more improvement. So we have a handful of people here who do autocross regularly (one's tried rallycross a couple of times - the same, but on dirt) and few who do drag racing.
Even in my daily commute, it's nice to hear the engine rev to 5k and up, but I'm not exactly leaving everyone in the dust with 135hp. In the turns though... oh yeah
sciphi
Ahh, the good old days of being able to take a corner hard in the Elantra.

Even driving a Buick, I enjoy an occasional spirited romp up an on-ramp. The speed is nice, but the experience of getting that little jerk back in the seat at a high-RPM 1-2 shift and letting the car get up to 65+ in second I do miss. And the on-ramps here are too short for more than about 7-8 seconds of full throttle.

Hmm, how would a boat like the Buick do in auto-x bone-stock?
cobas
Fun, driving an Elantra? Ridiculous...

Bobzilla
you forgot all about me didn't you? Disappointed I am. . . .disappointed.

Yes, check for your local SCCA region and also be sure to check for NASA. Both offer great thrills that are more dependant on driver skill than the actual car iteself. Auto-x, the only place a $12k Korean econobox can SPANK Turbo Porche and Vette Z06's.
cobas
I thought that second photo, the white car is you, no?
Bobzilla
Oops. I can't see my own pics from work. . . so it didn't show up for me. My bad. Which one is it? The good one like in my sig?
HereticxLoss
I love blowing past those silly automatic civics with the rice burner pipes and watching the teenager-hoodlems whine that they can accelerate that fast. Luckily theres plenty of those here smile.gif
cobas
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Apr 16 2008, 03:58 PM) *
Oops. I can't see my own pics from work. . . so it didn't show up for me. My bad. Which one is it? The good one like in my sig?

It's about a 3/4 rear shot where you're turning hard right and the car appears fuzzy in motion smile.gif
Alex2013GT
QUOTE (cobas @ Apr 16 2008, 05:00 PM) *
It's about a 3/4 rear shot where you're turning hard right and the car appears fuzzy in motion smile.gif

yea and there's an old man with a cane in the picture that appears to be walking faster than you're car tongue.gif
ROG
QUOTE (cobas @ Apr 16 2008, 02:00 PM) *

the fuzz make it look like its moving really fast.....like a turtle
Toecutter
+1 for Autocross. It's the most fun you can have on three wheels.

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Apr 16 2008, 02:58 PM) *

That line does not look right at all... what's going on here? Are you going backwards?
J-son
QUOTE (Toecutter @ Apr 16 2008, 10:00 PM) *
+1 for Autocross. It's the most fun you can have on three wheels.

That line does not look right at all... what's going on here? Are you going backwards?

I hope you were going 25 MPH!!!!????!!!
ROG
haha never thought i would see this thread again i figured it lost to the abyss that is the old threads
cobas
LOL, I didn't notice the speed limit sign! What was the rear sway bar on that, Toe? 22mm? 40mm? 100mm?
J-son
It is very common with coils and 22 mm bar to have this height.
After I would finish on course, a few guys would tell me they loved watching my car on course
because one of the rear tires would be up in the air! I have a few photos of this...

Bob had a few taken of this to and he was not on coils.

The best one of this at solo are the GTI and Si spec cars tongue.gif
1BadBuick
To reply to the first question I like to do ricer flybys when the other person is @ WOT too.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.