Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not another NOOB!!!
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
Euromike79
Name is mike, from NW burbs, Palatine, IL. I've had my 2003 Elantra GLS for about 1 1/2 yrs now. I like it sometimes but now that i have this darn magnaflow muffler on it i had lost all of my Low end TQ. Im being told lately that i need to upgrade my intake and headers to make up for some of the lost TQ. But if i want it all back im gonna need to get a turbo, and i dont want to put alot of money into this car. But the car feels great on the highway tho!! It takes off after i hit 55mph like someone shot it out of slingshot!! I am also noticing that my trans isnt shifting correctly either. And i am out of warranty. i had the trans rebuilt once when i first got it , and now it feels like the Torque converter is slipping a bit, and it has hard shifting as well. maybe its the trans that made me lose my TQ and im just noticing it more now that i can actually hear how my engine is sounding. Sounds really sluggish... does anyone in here know what i can do with anything of this situation i am in??

Thankyou in advance..
MEly
Although I can't offer any help with your problems I wanted to say two things.

1) Welcome to the club. Great to see you're making use of the vast knowledge base that is EC already smile.gif
2) Your avatar is awesome! tongue.gif

Enjoy the club, and hopefully someone will have some advice for you soon.
ricerrx7
Have you checked the fluid level?
Euromike79
Someone told me that the hard shifting and the feeling of my torque converter slipping and the fact that i can revv my engine while its still in drive is because i have a big stall on it ?? Dunno wtf that is but it sux to me cuz it dont feel right. Dont feel like its supposed to do that. Altho my friends honda civic does the same thing ... It shifts like a manual trans but is an automatic. and he can revv the engine while in drive still !!

and yes i checked the level, and it was full. but dark. Maybe if i get the fluid changed and added some lucas to it, maybe it might help a bit. Just until i can get it to a trans shop to get it worked on. I have to wait for the trans shop cuz i just started a new job and dont get paid for a few weeks. and i have to purchase a new warranty for the car. I cannot afford to pay out of pocket.
cclngthr
QUOTE (Euromike79 @ Mar 25 2008, 09:16 PM) *
Someone told me that the hard shifting and the feeling of my torque converter slipping and the fact that i can revv my engine while its still in drive is because i have a big stall on it ?? Dunno wtf that is but it sux to me cuz it dont feel right. Dont feel like its supposed to do that. Altho my friends honda civic does the same thing ... It shifts like a manual trans but is an automatic. and he can revv the engine while in drive still !!

and yes i checked the level, and it was full. but dark. Maybe if i get the fluid changed and added some lucas to it, maybe it might help a bit. Just until i can get it to a trans shop to get it worked on. I have to wait for the trans shop cuz i just started a new job and dont get paid for a few weeks. and i have to purchase a new warranty for the car. I cannot afford to pay out of pocket.

Do not put anything else except SP-III fluid in it. The XD trans is picky on fluid levels and the TCM takes its sweet time in the shifts. Webtech online manuals state the shifts can be as long as 2 seconds before a warranty repair.

I think the fluid overheated (has it been a while since it was flushed?). SP-III fluid will turn dark within 10,000 miles of normal use, but this also means the trans temp gets hot as well. I put an additional cooler on my XD and my HD to regulate the temperatures better and with the cooler installed, the fluid remains red longer.
Euromike79
i havent had it flushed since ive had it. But i did have the trans rebuilt along with new tq converter at 76,000 miles. it now has 103,975 on it. and the car is doing the same thing as before the trans was rebuilt.
cclngthr
It is about due for a flush. New and rebuilt trans will have more debris before the first flush.

I am also wondering if the transmission was rebuilt correctly. Field rebuilds may not last long. Hyundai remans their own transmissions and dyno tests them to make sure they function correctly. Rebuilders tend to use the incorrect fluid as well.
Euromike79
So what you're saying is that i need to have it flushed at the dealer then take it from there. to see if it feels better then??

I also noticed that everytime i step on the gas it feels as if the trans and engine are shaking the car too much and so i looked under my car at the mounts and noticed that my trans mount isnt even there anymore. I am thinking that maybe the dumbasses that re installed my trans after the rebuild didnt put it in all the way or just plain forgot to reinstall my trans mount. But then again i never noticed it until now either. im not sure what is up with that. but i am re installing a new one tho. hopefully that will solve a lot of my transmission issues.
cclngthr
QUOTE (Euromike79 @ Apr 3 2008, 10:00 AM) *
So what you're saying is that i need to have it flushed at the dealer then take it from there. to see if it feels better then??

I also noticed that everytime i step on the gas it feels as if the trans and engine are shaking the car too much and so i looked under my car at the mounts and noticed that my trans mount isnt even there anymore. I am thinking that maybe the dumbasses that re installed my trans after the rebuild didnt put it in all the way or just plain forgot to reinstall my trans mount. But then again i never noticed it until now either. im not sure what is up with that. but i am re installing a new one tho. hopefully that will solve a lot of my transmission issues.

If the mount isn't there, then that is a problem. The trans/engine will rock, but without the mount attached, it will rock even more.

There should be 1 mount on the front and rear and 1 mount on each end of the drivetrain assembly.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.